Question re mature wheat

So for the first time in the 5 years I have owned my property, the farmer next door planted wheat in a huge bordering field.  Its already pretty tall and brown.  As I walked the field edge, I noted that the deer really like to bed in it along the edge - not sure if its a preferred food source.  But I assume it will be cut soon as some of the fields nearby are being cut (seeing a ton of wheat this year which is unusual).  What does a farmer typically plant following wheat that is cut mid summer?  Or does the field just sit until the following season?  I do have corn on one border which is usually good for us.

12 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I don't know what the REAL farmers do, but my Dad , who was sort of a hobby farmer, usually seeded a hay crop like timothy, alfalfa,  clover or trefoil when he plant wheat or oats...

That wouldn't be bad.  Probably all good draws.

We were putting the finishing touches, preparing a winter wheat plot over the weekend. We will also rim it with beets for late season draw. 20180708_143604.thumb.jpg.7fa981383260e472067c6eb885d45f60.jpgWe also made a couple of access paths for the deer, coming from the thick bedding area.20180708_143323.thumb.jpg.5b40b27923647458a2c55865c1cfa4ee.jpg

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, grampy said:

We were putting the finishing touches, preparing a winter wheat plot over the weekend. We will also rim it with beets for late season draw. 20180708_143604.thumb.jpg.7fa981383260e472067c6eb885d45f60.jpgWe also made a couple of access paths for the deer, coming from the thick bedding area.20180708_143323.thumb.jpg.5b40b27923647458a2c55865c1cfa4ee.jpg

That looks great Dave!

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, G-Man said:

or it may be fall plowed and left for spring crop next year

This won't be good except for the fact that there is so much wheat around me this year, that perhaps the corn (and my little brassica plot) will be a greater draw if everything else is fall plowed.  hmmmm

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pygmy said:

I don't know what the REAL farmers do, but my Dad , who was sort of a hobby farmer, usually seeded a hay crop like timothy, alfalfa,  clover or trefoil when he plant wheat or oats...

That's what most of the farmers do who I mow for. You can still get at least one cutting for silage even this late in the year. It's too early for winter wheat and too late for corn or soybeans, so silage stuff fills in the gap. ;-)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

Is there any clovers growing under it? I see alot of oat or wheat fields that were planted with red clover too.. Clover will take off once harvested.

Then sometimes Corn planted following year. 

I didn't specifically look for it, but I am 99% sure there is not.

according to QDMA, Wheat (winter) seedheads are a prefered food source if they are an "awnless"  wheat variety. That's an advantage over winter cereal rye and oats. Just thought  I'd pass that along....

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Glen said:

according to QDMA, Wheat (winter) seedheads are a prefered food source if they are an "awnless"  wheat variety. That's an advantage over winter cereal rye and oats. Just thought  I'd pass that along....

Yes, you are absolutely right.  

I also said above rim with beets, but it will be radish. Have beets in another plot.

pretty sure this is spring wheat near my place since it is being harvested so late.  I guess it could have been planted last year without me noticing but I doubt it since I often walk that field to enter.  Then again, my memory is failing me as I get old.  lol

• Like 2

Moog, how is the corn around you ? Our farmer said he lost a month of planting due to a cold and wet April I think , put him several hundred or more acres behind, I know he was planting past the recommended date , we’ll see how that goes. Have no idea what’s around me .

i haven’t been down since shed hunting in March or April .

If they plant Timothy that would be good, there is one field they almost always plant that in and it’s just an awesome draw .

22 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Moog, how is the corn around you ? Our farmer said he lost a month of planting due to a cold and wet April I think , put him several hundred or more acres behind, I know he was planting past the recommended date , we’ll see how that goes. Have no idea what’s around me .

i haven’t been down since shed hunting in March or April .

If they plant Timothy that would be good, there is one field they almost always plant that in and it’s just an awesome draw .

The field behind me looked pretty good.  Corn was about head high and looked healthy.  But just checking the fields out around the area as I drove, most were wheat this year which is very unusual.  I was even guessing that maybe wheat prices are high so they chose to go that route but it could just be part of the rotation.  I know I have never seen so many large fields of "amber waves of grain" in the area!

Just looked it up and at least one April 2018 report showed a substantial increase in planting intentions for spring wheat in 2018 due to rising prices.  Not sure that those prices are still high though.

Edited by moog5050

33 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

The field behind me looked pretty good.  Corn was about head high and looked healthy.  But just checking the fields out around the area as I drove, most were wheat this year which is very unusual.  I was even guessing that maybe wheat prices are high so they chose to go that route but it could just be part of the rotation.  I know I have never seen so many large fields of "amber waves of grain" in the area!

Just looked it up and at least one April 2018 report showed a substantial increase in planting intentions for spring wheat in 2018 due to rising prices.  Not sure that those prices are still high though.

do you have an "in" with the owner of that field?  could be a late August or early September harvest and if that goes down we would be advised to toss in a bunch of goose decoys for the September season?  LOL

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

do you have an "in" with the owner of that field?  could be a late August or early September harvest and if that goes down we would be advised to toss in a bunch of goose decoys for the September season?  LOL

If you want to do that ,  there’s tons of geese on the farm I hunt  , and it’s 3,000 acres I’m sure we can find a spot . Crap I can hardly hear in my early bow stand due to all the noise they make .

• Like 2

On my property I had a worst case scenario with a wheat planting. The farmer harvested the wheat then did nothing..... for two and a half more years! Last year I finally closed on this adjoining property and went to the farmer and asked what his plan was. He wasn't sure if they would get to it or not. I told him don't bother and found a guy to work it that is pretty progressive with his field crops. He does all strip tilling and put in soybeans this year. Hopefully there will be some deer action out in the field this year.

2 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I’ve got the decoys

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

Count me in but don’t expect me to hit anything.  

Ok, as time gets closer I’ll ask about fields .

I sold all my guns that I used to use for this, but my smooth bore BPS takes 3 inch shells, just not sure of the choke .

We can always hunt Golds gym, parking lot as a back up plan, you can shoot them right out of the Subaru if you’d like .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ok, as time gets closer I’ll ask about fields .
I sold all my guns that I used to use for this, but my smooth bore BPS takes 3 inch shells, just not sure of the choke .
We can always hunt Golds gym, parking lot as a back up plan, you can shoot them right out of the Subaru if you’d like .

I have extras you can use

On 7/9/2018 at 9:22 AM, moog5050 said:

So for the first time in the 5 years I have owned my property, the farmer next door planted wheat in a huge bordering field.  Its already pretty tall and brown.  As I walked the field edge, I noted that the deer really like to bed in it along the edge - not sure if its a preferred food source.  But I assume it will be cut soon as some of the fields nearby are being cut (seeing a ton of wheat this year which is unusual).  What does a farmer typically plant following wheat that is cut mid summer?  Or does the field just sit until the following season?  I do have corn on one border which is usually good for us.

When you see him ask him.

I've got a change in fields this year too. Went by today one spot i hunt and they have wheat in the field my stand is in which is usually beans or corn.  Then there is corn in the adjacent field which has been clover and hay for the last 10 years.  Wondering if this might change up any trails.  The corn field I won't be able to hunt cause corn is planted right to the trees and i only have access to the field and about 15 yards of tree line before another field which is another owner.   Should be interesting.   I like corn in at least one of the fields so I can sneak along the corn rows.