An aging pup

crappyice

So my Brittany turns 14 on July 15th and lately his age is showing especially with the recent heat. His hearing is pretty weak and eye site dwindling especially when the room is dark.

Lately he cannot settle down at night. Constantly pacing, wants out of my room where he sleeps on the floor next to my side of the bed, scratches on my daughters door she lets him in then he scratches to get out. With wood floor and longer nails, no one has slept well the last three nights. It got so bad that I was forced to put the leash on him and just hold it while I was sleeping until he lays down.

Sad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3d0092762034cd82d4421e6f8a64b867.jpg

To be honest, he’s “healthy” as hell. Still runs around when I get home, eats 2 square meals a day and drinks his water. Never has any accidents in the house. I just hope my wife or daughter doesn’t kill him (or me!) if he doesn’t start sleeping at night!

• Like 6

Maybe look online for a natural sleep aid for dogs. Worth a shot if he is keeping you guys up at night. My Wheaten turns 13 in February. He is really fit but lost sight in one eye and is slightly losing hearing. Our 9 month old lab sure keeps him going with all the play fighting. Maybe introduce a new pup to him they will play all day and sleep at night! 

• Like 2

I have a Brittany too, orange and white, he's 10. Seems like he is going deaf and his eyesight not so good either. Still has a great nose and puppy like energy!
We have always crated him, which he does not mind at all. He stays quiet in the crate no matter how long we leave him in.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

He is a good looking pooch. My Bluetick is 9 and i showing some joint issues and just acts like a little old person. She sees a squirrel or chippy in the yard though and takes off like a bat outa hell even though she will limp for the next two days....

Tough to diagnose stuff with dogs. As long as it is just a not being able to sleep issue try picking up a bottle of 10 mg size melatonin (Walmart) and give him a half tab tab in the evening for starters, try a full tab if the half does not work. It is safe.

Al

Edited by airedale

Tough to diagnose stuff with dogs. As long as it is just a not being able to sleep issue try picking up a bottle of 10 mg size melatonin (Walmart) and give him a half tab tab in the evening for starters, try a full tab if the half does not work. It is safe.
Al

Good idea- I use melatonin for myself once a week to make sure I get one good night of sleep a week. Normally I only grabbed about 3-4 hours a night

6a7fc3078b180d8f4b809c8b2cbca652.jpg

A teacher friend of mine came over for dinner and brought his pup(11 year old fluff ball). The energy boost to my pup was fun to see. Should be no need for melatonin tonight although it worked great last night. He just seemed more relaxed.

• Like 3