Hunting Chairs

Every ground blind I have, 20 or so, has two milk crates. And just like dbHunterNY, they stay out all year, and I bring in a thick foam pad to hunt.  They are not as comfy as some of the "lounge chairs" I see. But they are quiet, and just the right height for me.  

I mostly use regular folding bag chairs. I also have a bucket with a lid that has a rotating cushioned top that I will use from time to time for short sits. I cant do milk crates, just too uncomfortable to sit on for any length of time for me, so I end up moving and repositioning too much. I prefer to be more comfortable, which means I dont move very much.

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

My legs go numb on the milk crates - just ask Pygmy.  lol

For my blinds, I like the redneck seat but its heavy to carry around so not very portable.  I also have the huntmore chair which is comfy. 

U got a tingle in your leg with Pygmy? OMG!

• Haha 2

^^^ or the tell-tale pile of flat rocks stacked against the base of a big tree that could recount some hunting tales.

Oh yeah, gotta have a comfy seat with good back support or my hunts are limited to a couple hours max, after fidgeting the 2nd hour! Worst are those 2-man ladder stands. Most uncomfortable seats of ALL stands!!

Ground or blind hunting - Check along the curb-sides as you drive around, esp in "ritzy" neighborhoods. People throw away those plastic deck chairs all the time after they begin to fade. Most are beat-up, but occasionally you can find good ones. Hardware stores sell spray cans of paint for specifically plastic items, just in case you need to tone down a pink, yellow, blue, etc freebie chair. Carry in a dry foam seat pad and tie the chair to a tree so it doesn't blow away. Even if it finds a new owner, you're out nothing.

Edited by nyslowhand
  • Like 2

Funny, I don't own a single hunting chair.  I sit in a couple different box blinds once in a while while gun hunting and they have folding metal banquet chairs of limited comfort.  I RARELY hunt on the ground as I'd rather be elevated.  All my treestands of course have seats made of wood and a small thin hunk of dense foam.  My climber of course has a seat.........

I've never hunted out of a ground blind, deer or turkey.  (I own a beauty but it just doesn't fire me up)

I use (3) basic types.  The enclosed blinds all have very comfortable, cloth-cushioned, swivel office chairs.  Those are easy to garbage-pick.   As I find nicer ones, I throw out the old ones.  Open platform blinds have weather-proof plastic swivel chairs or soft-padded swivel boat seats.   From the ground, my favorite is a hammock-style seat that straps to a tree and has an adjustable pedestal.  That thing is very easy to carry, extremely comfortable, and swivels 360 degrees.    

The more comfortable you are in a stand, the less likely you are to fidget and alert an approaching deer.  Having the ability to swivel 360 degrees, with as little movement as possible, lets me capitalize on most of the deer that sneak up from behind, and that I hear before I see.

I picked up a three legged folding stool at Aldis last year that I do not like, and may never use again.   It is not very comfortable and does not provide 360 degree shooting ability.  One advantage is that I do not need to find a tree to strap it to like my tree-hammock seat.  It is also relatively easy to carry but not as easy as the tree hammock.  Also, it is faster to set up than the tree hammock, and would probably work better in the rain as it does not collect water off the tree like a funnel as the tree hammock does.  I will probably keep it to use in combination with a tree umbrella on rainy days, where my tree hammock seat has failed miserably in the past.        

• Like 1

Like everyone else I have tried a variety of hunting seats over the years. Some are better than others. My climber has the most comfortable seat I've ever hunted out off. Can sit for hours. I bring a foam pad for my ladder stands, and my hang on all have padded seats. But, I have been setting up a couple of pop up blinds lately and I haven't found the right seat yet. Folding bag chairs are not really comfy and they make a lot of noise. The bucket seats have no back rest and my back can not handle that. The 3 legged seats just plain suck. I suppose they are much better seats available bur I'm not spending $$$ for a chair. JMO 

For a long time I would just find a nice tree along a ridge put my back up against it and sit on the ground on a foam pad. I did the milk crate thing for a while - not very comfortable for a long sit. I now hunt from homemade ground blind and use a folding camp chair like this one. Comfortable for an all day sit but not so comfortable I'd want to fall asleep in it. 

Screenshot-2018-7-12 Amazon com KingCamp Folding Camp Quad Chair Steel Frame Padded Oversized Light Weight Heavy Duty Porta[...].png

• Like 2