In Hand? Hung? Or Just Laying To The Side?

grampy

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

Bow or gun are never in my hand UNLESS things are happening. (Incredibly obvious I hope)

In most of my archery & gun stands and usually my climber I'll use a Realtree EZ Hanger for bow & gun, NOT an imitation, only the real McCoy.  The rest are junk.......

If there is a suitable tree branch stub I'll utilize that too.

Sometimes in my climber I'll just lay my bow or gun across my front bar.  

The last thing I want to do is hang onto my bow or gun for an entire set.  Purty tough to use binos with one hand.  Heck, I like both hands free to use the digital camera, rangefinder, grunt call, drink coffee, text friends, post on web sites etc etc. :)

I am probably with you on this Larry.  I like the 3 piece because you can swing it right in front of your right or left hand for minimal movement.  I tend to text and surf a bit too much.  

• Like 1

I don't like to text or post much from the stand. Most of my set ups are in fairly thick areas. Not too often do I have the luxury of seeing them coming from a distance, to get ready. So things tend to happen quickly. I need to be ready to shoot at any time. My bow is always in my hand, release on the loop. My gun is always in my lap with my hand on the stock.

Over many years, I have grunt call, bino's, rangefinder, snacks, or whatever I may need, (I tend to go light) ORGANIZED!  I need to be able to reach with one hand, into a small fanny pack, so I can retrieve anything in there blindfolded if need be. And with barely a sound. All while my hunting implement is in my lap.

This is just what works for me.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

In hand . My ladder stands all have a shooting rail so I lay bow or gun across it to be ready

That is exactly what I do with my rifle, slug-gun, ML, or crossbow.  While laying on that rail, I have it pointed in the direction where I think it is most likely that a deer will appear.  When seated on the ground in my tree-hammock seat (swivels around 360 degrees), the gun is in my lap.   That allow my hands to be in a muff when it is cold out.    While still-hunting between spots, the gun is aways in one or two hands (I wear light gloves and alternate hands in a muff when it is cold).  The only time I use the sling is while dragging a deer carcass, or before or after legal daylight, when it is unloaded.  Deer are notorious for showing up when and where you least expect it, so it always pays off to be ready.  My sightings are usually few and far enough apart that I need to capitalize on almost all of them or we would be forced to eat a lot more store-bought chicken.    

• Like 1

98% if my hunts are from a climber so the bow sits across the shooting rail “in my lap” but since I stand most of my hunts; I don’t really have a lap. I use an “s hook” off the bottom portion when I need to have more space - but I did have my bow fall out of that one time and miraculously tangle in the pull rope and not smash to the ground

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine is always hanging off a hook until the moment of truth, BUT I usually have it in my hand during that last full hour of light when the woods tend to go dead quiet.

I try to hang my stands in a way that I can get away with a little movement up there in the first place. Since most of my hooks are nothing more than metal tree steps, my movements are slow and precise anyhow in an attempt to get my bow or gun off it silently above all else.

• Like 3

I used to always hang it. I usually always had time to pull it off hanger and get ready for a shot. That was until my #1 buck (167") in 2012 snuck in to less than 20 yards of me before i knew it on the last day of gun season, and there sits my ML on the hanger. And then hes 10 yards from me looking, around ready to approach the bulb plot and im maybe 12 ft off the ground. What an adrenaline rush! 

Now it sits across my lap if I'm sitting or in my arms if standing.  lol No taking those chances anymore.. Ill carry a hand warmer pouch so i can put my hands in it and have the hand warmer thing over the gun on my lap while im sitting during gun season. 

• Like 3

All my stands have a shooting rail that allows me to keep my bow or rifle right infront of me. Its right there when i need it, with very little movment, but keeps my hands free. I have had it happen where I had barely enough time to pick my gun up from there to make the shot, so I don't like the idea of keeping it further away from me. 

• 4 weeks later...

I put a bow holder on the left side of my ladder stand . It is right next to my left hand and I can pick it up with minimal movement . I have short legs so I can't lay it on my lap without hanging onto it as it would slide off . 

As for gun , I try to hold it all the time . 

bow holder.jpg