Follow Up Question re Tilling

Have a buddy with a tractor that offered to go with me this sunday to till two plots.  I sprayed one about a week ago with glysophate.  The other was not sprayed.  Any issue with him tilling and then me planting brassica mix first week of august (2-3 weeks later)?  I realize there may be some weeds starting to grow back by then, but I would like to take advantage of the opportunity (especially since the swamp is dry now so we have access to one plot).  I will spread fertilizer (19-19-19) as he tills and then we can mix it back in.  Figure I will hit the plots with urea later in Sept.

if its worked up now plant it now. dont fertalize ahead. your weeds will be way out of control.. your roots/ bulbs will just be bigger is all. brassicas are good that they grow fast and will out compete weed. but 2 weeks of weeds that are fert and then plant is recipe for failure.

second option is to work it up now spray in week to kill new growth from weed seed bank in soil. then fert and plant week later preping the soil by dragging a pallet ot crabappe tree behind that new atv...

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ive planted them 1st of july turnips were softball size and larger. fertalize when planting preferably just before rain. a drag of surface before planting will loosen soil amd mimimize bringing weed seed to surface. a roller or driving your atv over the seed will pack seed for good soil contact..  if you plat to heavy a second application of fert may be nessary to keep it all growong on poor soils

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, G-Man said:

ive planted them 1st of july turnips were softball size and larger. fertalize when planting preferably just before rain. a drag of surface before planting will loosen soil amd mimimize bringing weed seed to surface. a roller or driving your atv over the seed will pack seed for good soil contact..  if you plat to heavy a second application of fert may be nessary to keep it all growong on poor soils

Tuesday and weds are rain so that would have to do.  Thanks.  I guess I will try to get it done this weekend.  I can ride over and provide second application.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, G-Man said:

make sure your soil is packed if tilling . brassica seed is small amd may end up to deep if soil is to fluffy

You mean drive over it first and then seed?  Also, thoughts on a spreader.  All of the electric ATV ones have crap reviews.  I thought maybe a tow behind (yay using the ATV) or just do it by hand.  Appreciate the advice.

drive over it 1st or use a roller/ cullipacker. a lawn roller works well behind atv. even a pallet with weight on it..you want firm seed bed. 

you can also make a planker which ix 2x8 or larger overlapped by anout 1.5 in 3 to 4 deep insert eyehooks and put rope through so the little step edges face forward. will smooth and firm bed..can add cinder blocks to to or rocks for weight. if you use pressure treated will last for years with minimal investment.

i only use a hand spreader for brassicas. put half the amount of seed recomented for plot in it on smallest setting and crank hard and walk fast and cover entire plot. put rest in and do same..over seeding brassica leads to most failure.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, t_barb said:

I prefer a walk behind spreader...   the seed is VERY small and I like to have better control over things..    if you make a mistake it will all be gone before you know it

But that's work.  lol  You are probably right but would love to simply ride and spread, at least for the heavier fertilizer.

11 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

But that's work.  lol  You are probably right but would love to simply ride and spread, at least for the heavier fertilizer.

o bought a spreader for atv electric  pro series by swisher from tsc on line ( they will deliver to stores but dont stock them 300.00 ) gerat for lareger seed and fert.. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/swisher-commercial-pro-atv-spreader?cm_vc=-10005  but will not do clover or brassicA as you do not have enough control as hand spreader gives you

Edited by G-Man
  • Thanks 1

Dont till more than an inch or 2 of soil, the deeper you till the more weed seed you will release. If you wait a couple weeks spray then/again and seed the same day. The smaller the bulbs the more palatable they are. bigger the woodier and less palatable. Not saying they wont eat it but might be a preference thing.. like g-man said fertilize when you seed your plot. 

till, roll/pack plot, spread seed then roll/pack plot again. 

• Like 1

I mix pelletized lime with fine seed.  I have had zero luck seeding straight up.  I got an earthway carry spreader and a wheeled. Usually 4 bags of lime per acre.  You can use a bag to practice the spread rate.  Much much cheaper than wasting seed.

Use a respirator when spreading.

Typical homeowner sized wheeled spreaders don't do so well in off road food plot mode......