How About Some Rain

23 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Yeah we are getting pretty dry too. Im taking advantage this weekend and getting my tractor trail cut, plot areas brush hogged and hopefully spraying. Ill be waiting to till and plant until we have a good rain in the forecast.

Yeah, it's dry, but it's the perfect conditions to get those fall plots prepared for the August/September seeding. It's also good for brush hogging trails. 

My lawn is still green and growing like crazy here!  Wish it would start to brown up some!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, grampy said:

Yeah, it's dry, but it's the perfect conditions to get those fall plots prepared for the August/September seeding. It's also good for brush hogging trails. 

My lawn is still green and growing like crazy here!  Wish it would start to brown up some!

Our lawn is still plenty green, but I think thats because there isnt much actual grass in it lol

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Our lawn is still plenty green, but I think thats because there isnt much actual grass in it lol

Same here. My backyard is a former cow pasture.  50/50, weeds and various grasses.

13 minutes ago, grampy said:

Same here. My backyard is a former cow pasture.  50/50, weeds and various grasses.

Ours was carved out of the woods. Looks like there used to be all grass in it at one time, now its mostly clover and weeds. Im fine with it, the deer are always out there munching clover, it doesnt grow super fast, and it still looks ok when its mowed. Ive done the "perfect lawn" routine of multiple doses of weed & feed  and overseeding each year and creating a nice lush lawn devoid of any weeds a few different times at different houses. It ends up growing so fast and thick you have to cut twice a week or it gets out of hand in a hurry. To heck with that nonsense, Im all done spending a ton of time and money on a patch of grass. Hell, we hired my girlfriends cousin to cut our lawn. All I do anymore is trim with the weed wacker. Its well worth the money we pay him.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

for the withering plants. Dryer that a frogs hair here. Not as bad as a popcorn fart yet, but it's getting there.  Irrigation keeps things growing; nothing like a natural rainfall to perk those plants.

Maybe we should Try this :taunt:

Edited by Storm914

It all depends on the exact area. One of the farmers I regularly cut for hasn't mown silage a single time yet this year, and another one called me recently to see if I was available for a second cutting on one of his fields. Those farms are less than ten miles apart, but very different soil conditions. Some of the corn in my area is only two feet tall, and some is way over my head. It is what it is.

39 minutes ago, philoshop said:

It all depends on the exact area. One of the farmers I regularly cut for hasn't mown silage a single time yet this year, and another one called me recently to see if I was available for a second cutting on one of his fields. Those farms are less than ten miles apart, but very different soil conditions. Some of the corn in my area is only two feet tall, and some is way over my head. It is what it is.

Soil type has a lot to do with drought. Humus in the soil help retain moisture also. My heavier soils are fairing better than my well drained sandy soils. The way the field was worked earlier this spring also helps to retain moisture. Fields of no till look better here than tilled.  Corn on the higher drain lands are start to show signs of bad wilt, mid day. Crop insurance is a good bet, this season.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

Yeah, you people must be in a drought. Tough business even with rain.

Ya..  many yrs I've struggled to get lawns done do to excessive rain.  They grew great, but really sucks mowing in the rain, or rain soaked lawns.  Then we get hit with 90*'s and no rain.   I've skipped most of my lawns the past two weeks. There scraggly, but green.  Have to cut them next week no matter what.  

I worked the radish and oat ground quickly yesterday and rolled it to retain what moisture is there. I would like to plant end of July in time for a good bow season draw. I also tried plowing with new points on the plow. The plow wouldn't go in the ground. I would no till this piece but, I want to used the dried out hay on top for green manure. We need a hurricane full of moisture to do any good right now.

33 minutes ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

I worked the radish and oat ground quickly yesterday and rolled it to retain what moisture is there. I would like to plant end of July in time for a good bow season draw. I also tried plowing with new points on the plow. The plow wouldn't go in the ground. I would no till this piece but, I want to used the dried out hay on top for green manure. We need a hurricane full of moisture to do any good right now.

Have you tried setting plow depth to 4" or so, just to break up the top , and then disc?  That is about all we can do now. But it's all we need to do for a food plot.