Winter Rye

Thinking about trying winter rye this fall since my throw and grow spots always work all summer but are eaten by September. I’d like to put the WR down in mid September so it’s there for 10/1 opener. Any suggestions on who to buy seeds from? Or it doesn’t matter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

A local feed store ought to have common rye. Just as good as your higher price seed. Think about planting some Field Radish with it. Maybe will see your pic on here with a big New York rack this fall.

Agreed but if I remember the throw and grow pictures I don't think you will have success with radish. 

• Like 1

Rye ground will need to worked up to plant 2" deep. Better yet, I'd forget the rye and plant radish August 1st.

I’m checking my cams this weekend but The deer always come to anything green. I just want the easiest thing to grow green in October. The spot is 1/2 mile from car and I can’t get much equipment in. Only what I can carry.

Take a  hoe and a rack back, work the ground up a little, lay the seed,  rake to cover and walk on it to pack it down. Growalot used to do it, and you saw what she grew.

Yea that’s what I do currently. Just need something to last into October. The area is small and they hammer it

Winter Rye will grow almost anywhere. I have pics where a bird carried seed up into a tree and it grew out of the hollow part of a broken branch. Seen it grow on wheelers and concrete floors. The last time i used WR, i just broadcast it over top of the unbroken soil and it grew well, as long as it rains real good after and germinates before the birds can pick it up. Put it down heavy!

Winter Rye will grow almost anywhere. I have pics where a bird carried seed up into a tree and it grew out of the hollow part of a broken branch. Seen it grow on wheelers and concrete floors. The last time i used WR, i just broadcast it over top of the unbroken soil and it grew well, as long as it rains real good after and germinates before the birds can pick it up. Put it down heavy!

Thanks. Any particular brand?

I plant it every year, just make sure to get grain rye and not rye grass. I buy whatever brand the local feed store has. Stuff grows anywhere. I always get it growing in the frame of my ATV after I plant the plots.

Any links to “grain rye”? Thanks.

just find your local feed and seed and ask for cereal rye. Th last few years its been around $12-$16/50# around here. 

I don’t think the local nurseries that sell plants/tree sell seed. I was going to order online

20 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I don’t think the local nurseries that sell plants/tree sell seed. I was going to order online

https://www.amazon.com/Winter-Rye-Seeds-Non-GMO-Grain/dp/B06XSD6SX3/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1531765771&sr=8-6&keywords=winter+rye+cover+crop+seed&dpID=61EI5Qv%2BXNL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Way more expensive than local though based On Let Em Grow's comment

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

Thanks. Yea closest agway is in CT or 30 miles north in NY.

Winter wheat is cheaper than rye, easier to locate, and the deer like it better.  The down side is that wheat uses more nitrogen.   I like to use a mix of wheat, white clover, and soybeans on my late summer / early fall plantings.  It is hard to beat the attractiveness that wheat/green soybean combo gives from the start of NY bow season, until the end of ML.  The clover really don't kick in until the next spring, after you chop off the wheat.  Clover and soybeans do not need any nitrogen.   If you plan on following up with brassicas or corn the next year, then rye might be a better choice (as long as your neighbor has no wheat) because corn and brassicas need all the nitrogen they can get.  I usually only plant them on plots that have been in white clover for at least 3 years.  

Wheat is nearly as tolerant of acidic ground as rye.  If you do go with rye, and your neighbor has wheat, you might be able to coax the deer to your side of the fence if you add some soybeans to the mix.   That "happy time" will end after the first hard frost however (kills the soybeans), but some brassicas would hold them for you then.     

14 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Winter wheat is cheaper than rye, easier to locate, and the deer like it better.  The down side is that wheat uses more nitrogen.   I like to use a mix of wheat, white clover, and soybeans on my late summer / early fall plantings.  It is hard to beat the attractiveness that wheat/green soybean combo gives from the start of NY bow season, until the end of ML.  The clover really don't kick in until the next spring, after you chop off the wheat.  Clover and soybeans do not need any nitrogen.   If you plan on following up with brassicas or corn the next year, then rye might be a better choice (as long as your neighbor has no wheat) because corn and brassicas need all the nitrogen they can get.  I usually only plant them on plots that have been in white clover for at least 3 years.  

Wheat is nearly as tolerant of acidic ground as rye.  If you do go with rye, and your neighbor has wheat, you might be able to coax the deer to your side of the fence if you add some soybeans to the mix.   That "happy time" will end after the first hard frost however (kills the soybeans), but some brassicas would hold them for you then.     

You do realize this is a small plot he is raking in by hand?

• Like 1