Putting in new food plots

I figured I would Start a thread to document my work putting in a couple of food plots on the land we bought this spring. 

This morning we got started cutting a trail to get the tractor back to the plot areas. A few weeks ago I went through and marked some trees to cut to put in the trail, but once we started cutting today, I didnt Like how the ground sloped in some of the areas. There is an old trail on the property line, so Haley and I walked It and found the old enterance. It had been choked by some bushes, but I decided It would be easiest to just open it back up. I pushed Out all of the brush with the front end loader and back blade. We were able to get to both of the plots within a couple of hours by just pushing brush and falldowns out of the way. We also cleared out the few bushes from the plot areas. This afternoon I have To go pick up a brush hog, and then I’ll go through and get everything mowed out this evening. The soil back there still has some moisture in it, so I’m hopeful that I’ll be able to get a plow in the ground next weekend. 

• Like 3

Yeah I’ll get some pics later when I get The brush hog in there. 

Ive always had fun doing plots over at the farm, but this is completely different with it being my own place. I dont Have to worry about what other people want to do, or what the landowner wants or doesn’t want done. It’s really nice having it be all mine and to be able  to do things exactly how I want To. 

• Like 5

I find it kind of relaxing doing the work in a way. When deer season rolls around and those tails are waving, it makes it all worth while. How the tractor preforming? Might want to secure all those hair pins on the roll bar and three point hitch arms. Brush has a tendency to lose'em. Good luck on the plots and enjoy.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

I find it kind of relaxing doing the work in a way. When deer season rolls around and those tails are waving, it makes it all worth while. How the tractor preforming? Might want to secure all those hair pins on the roll bar and three point hitch arms. Brush has a tendency to lose'em. Good luck on the plots and enjoy.

Tractor is doing great. This size brush hog is perfect for it. I borrowed This one to see how it did. I know What I’ll be buying now. All of the pins stayed in place, only issue was one of the turn signals got knocked loose. Just need to tighten the nut back up. 

This kind of work is very relaxing to me, I’ve always enjoyed doing this stuff at the farm, it’s even better doing it on my place. I woke Up early and made some new trails through the woods. Still more to do, but it’s good enough for this year. Just have to spray, plow and plant, then it’s stand hanging time. 

• Like 1

I meant to tell you WNY, if you were still looking there is a 3pt harrow drag for sale on the side of rt415 in Wallace?Avoca if you were interested still. Looks pretty new yet.  I can stop and get pics and info if you'd like next time through. 

1 hour ago, LET EM GROW said:

I meant to tell you WNY, if you were still looking there is a 3pt harrow drag for sale on the side of rt415 in Wallace?Avoca if you were interested still. Looks pretty new yet.  I can stop and get pics and info if you'd like next time through. 

Sure, if you have a chance, Id be interested. I have a line on a 2 bottom plow, have to call the guy today. I figure these plots need to be plowed at least once, since (as far as I know) they have never been plowed, broken, planted. All I will need once I get the plow is a disc and a drag of some sort. A harrow might be able to fill both of those needs.

On 7/16/2018 at 10:09 PM, sailinghudson25 said:

If you're tight on time this yeat, you may want to pass plowing.  Figure in some rock picking time.

I dont Usually plant till late July, early August. I would Use the tiller like I normally Do, but I have No idea how many rocks we have at this place, so I will Plow and disc this year and see how it is. If the rocks aren’t bad, I’ll use the tiller next year. 

On 7/16/2018 at 7:52 AM, WNYBuckHunter said:

Sure, if you have a chance, Id be interested. I have a line on a 2 bottom plow, have to call the guy today. I figure these plots need to be plowed at least once, since (as far as I know) they have never been plowed, broken, planted. All I will need once I get the plow is a disc and a drag of some sort. A harrow might be able to fill both of those needs.

You're better off not plowing. Plowing destroys the fungal community in the soil (more important than most people realize) and negatively effects soil integrity

6 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

You're better off not plowing. Plowing destroys the fungal community in the soil (more important than most people realize) and negatively effects soil integrity

I hear this from people, and I have to question it.  I mean, a plow rolls the sod over, it doesn't irradiate it.  

When we plow up old sod and plant corn it grows like crazy. 

I'm not saying you're wrong, I just don't understand how it can be so bad.  

6 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

I hear this from people, and I have to question it.  I mean, a plow rolls the sod over, it doesn't irradiate it.  

When we plow up old sod and plant corn it grows like crazy. 

I'm not saying you're wrong, I just don't understand how it can be so bad.  

Any thing that cuts into the soil can disrput the fungal community and soil integrity. Yes it just rolls over the soil, but it also has to cut down into it first in order to roll it over. the fungal community surrounds roots and old root structures commonly, and when you plough a feild, it disrupts these. Rot structures also play an important roll in soil integrity. If you'd like I think I can still find a number of studies outlining the impacts of ploughing.