First discing attempt

So this is my first attempt at real plot. Sprayed last week. Would have liked to give it more time but I don’t have it. Used my new to me groundhog disc. Worked ok the hitch on my quad was to deep for the male piece on the disc holes didn’t line up, had to use heavy zip ties to hold it in place. Seemed to do ok but could have been better.... gunna spread and disc in lime in a hour I need a break.... then when I disc again before planting I’ll make sure I buy a hitch that fits

b413d2cb0c7ade2bbbf3e1547e60d9ad.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The groundhog requires the weight of the ATV and lots of figure 8s to dig in.  No idea how you could do that with a zip tie as the big concern is usually damaging/bending the hitch receiver or even frame.  

We did this plot with the groundhog but it did do some ATV damage. 

BD229290-D611-4086-A60C-FDA28548F970.jpeg

Edited by moog5050

The groundhog requires the weight of the ATV and lots of figure 8s to dig in.  No idea how you could do that with a zip tie as the big concern is usually damaging/bending the hitch receiver or even frame.  
BD229290-D611-4086-A60C-FDA28548F970.thumb.jpeg.0ffca46d1aaa965498336cfc22587df8.jpeg

I’m
Kinda shocked it worked as well as it did... just instead of putting the lock bar through the hitch hole I zipped it through so it still did get the weight of the atv...

• Like 1

BD229290-D611-4086-A60C-FDA28548F970.thumb.jpeg.0ffca46d1aaa965498336cfc22587df8.jpeg

Just did the lime take a look
08aa589c5920924c1d5623b22659066f.jpgc6e8314f7070baa3cc4939fe32a159ad.jpg281bb895c88477fcb20330d0a1196a01.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like you have enough exposed dirt to get some germination.   Good luck.  

I just put in lime today, gunna get proper hitch and disc again before seeding

Also, ferns usually mean ypu need plenty of lime.

Yea I thought the same thing but I’ve tested other parts of my land that were covered in ferns and the soil was like 6.4

Looks like you got a real nice start to your "first real plot"!  A little playing around with adjustments, and hitch, and you will be fine, for small out of the way plots. Much easier than using a hand rake, that's for sure!  Best of luck with your plotting chef!  You got this!

12 hours ago, sailinghudson25 said:

A big tra tor trailer tire with holes drilled into the sidewall and good sized bolts and nuts going thtough.  The exposed threads dig into the soil.  Put a piece of plywood in the middle do you can add weight. Remove the weight or flip to the smooth side after seeding. 

That sounds like a great idea! Any idea where you can get one of those tires? I'll probably check the local tractor supply stores or maybe a truck repair shop. Any pics of the tire set up?

45 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

If this is the route you go, I have a 35" bald mud tire you can have. It has some weight to it. You can pick it up along with that stand.

Thx John.  Didn’t realize you were still holding stand.   You don’t want it for new land?    Will let you know on the tire.  Mentioned it to my buddy who is a mechanic and offered me tine harrows for free.   Might try that with a platform for weight welded on first.   Would work for cutting trails in the cattails too if I flip it over and drag behind ATV.   

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Thx John.  Didn’t realize you were still holding stand.   You don’t want it for new land?    Will let you know on the tire.  Mentioned it to my buddy who is a mechanic and offered me tine harrows for free.   Might try that with a platform for weight welded on first.   Would work for cutting trails in the cattails too if I flip it over and drag behind ATV.   

Yep, its sitting next to my garage right now, I cant use those stands. Just dont feel comfortable on them at all.

28 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Yep, its sitting next to my garage right now, I cant use those stands. Just dont feel comfortable on them at all.

well we need to catch up.   If you ever make it to east side for work, let me know.