Dry ice....

Bionic

Morning folks,

The girlfriend's car has this ding on it, it is not on a body line/crease, and I want to try the hairdryer/dry ice trick to see if it will straighten it out a bit.  I did some googling, and while it claims Home Depot, Lowe's,  and Walmart sell dry ice.  I searched dry ice on their website's,  but cannot find anything really.  I was at Walmart yesterday, and asked if they carry it, they said no.  I really do not know anything about dry ice, I know it is not the greatest thing in the world to handle, and that it is basically solidified cardon dioxide, that sort of evaporates, instead of melting to a liquid.

Only place I know for sure to get dry ice would be during extended power outages at our Town Hall, or Fire house, but that is not right to acquire it at that point, lol.

Any input on where to get a little dry ice? Thanks

Edited by Bionic

5 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

What about a can of compressed air for cleaning a keyboard, that might do the trick. 

That is a great idea,  it crossed my mind, I wasn't sure if it would be as cold as the dry ice type treatment.  I might just do it, whats a can cost, 5 or 6 bucks? Worth a shot for sure, thanks.

a number of years ago I was looking into getting dry ice for some sort of project, and just googled dry ice distributors in my area....(Syracuse), no problem finding a source. I would just do the same. Keep in mind that you will want to be planning on doing your project promptly after obtaining it.

When we were younger and goofier, we had some stuff delivered to our store in the mall packed with dry ice. 

We tossed it into the fountain in front of the store, producing an awesome fog bank. We were darn glad no one saw us do it... created quite a stir!

• Thanks 1

Ya after your post I watched some YouTube videos , not to,much luck with dry ice / hair drier .

Some used a puller that had three “ heads “ center one was hot glued to dent then you turn the threaded handle and it pulls out dent , kinda .

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Auto-Car-Paintless-Dent-Repair-Dent-Puller-Bridge-Dent-Removal-kits-PDR-Simple-Operation-Tools-ECBY/885323102?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=14055&adid=22222222227125798732&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=t&wl3=235576648268&wl4=pla-389163396948&wl5=9005653&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=117874131&wl11=online&wl12=885323102&wl13=&veh=sem

Edited by Stay at home Nomad

Auto parts store. They sell suction cups for pulling dents. Can get different sizes only about 5 bucks each. They work she now crease involved in dent.hold up to dent flip handle up and it stays till handle is folded down.just pull dent out ad remove. They work great for handles on a frig or stove when moving them. Very strong. Used one on an old chest freezer to drag it out of house. Freezer was over 8 feet long made in the 60s and heave as a Buick. Suction never came off till I released handle.

i'd just buy a manual slide hammer style dent puller with special glue and various sized suction cups.  it'll all cost you about $100 but then you can do friends and neighbors cars and make some money with or at least have it pay for itself.

• Like 1

The only time the heat/ice trick works is if the dent has not creased the metal. If its a door ding, that trick wont work. They make body tools that are like long rods with different tips on them for taking dings out. They work great. Most doors, etc have plugs in the jambs that you can remove, then you use the rods to massage the ding from the back side of the metal (insert pygmy's joke here). If its in a fender or quarter panel, you may have to remove the wheel liner to get to it.

If its a dent that is not creased, you would need a heat gun, not a hair dryer, and some really cold ice water, you dont need dry ice. You just need to be careful how close you get the heat gun and long you heat the area, as you can end up burning the clear coat and paint.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I really suggest when folks make posts like this they at least give us a clue where you actually are...lol.  It's like asking "where is the nearest gas station to me" and no one knows where you are

I get what you're saying,  but anymore its typically big box stores, thats what the majority is near me.  30 minutes west for Home Depot, and Lowes, along with wally world.   30 mins east its home depot, and walmart, im in a pretty rural spot.  Western Sullivan county.  I really wasn't looking for a specific business, but more along the lines of what everyone else suggested, like a welding supply store, or certain walmarts do carry it, or check a butcher shop, etcm....I know where all the gas stations are unfortunately, lol.  

5 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

The only time the heat/ice trick works is if the dent has not creased the metal. If its a door ding, that trick wont work. They make body tools that are like long rods with different tips on them for taking dings out. They work great. Most doors, etc have plugs in the jambs that you can remove, then you use the rods to massage the ding from the back side of the metal (insert pygmy's joke here). If its in a fender or quarter panel, you may have to remove the wheel liner to get to it.

If its a dent that is not creased, you would need a heat gun, not a hair dryer, and some really cold ice water, you dont need dry ice. You just need to be careful how close you get the heat gun and long you heat the area, as you can end up burning the clear coat and paint.

I saw the paintless dent repair slim jim type tools, they would be a good choice, but of course the ding is in a pocket that is boxed in.  I wont use a heat gun on the crap paint they use now-a-days honestly.   Thanks for your input, i will  think about my choices.

• Like 1