Vintage Hunting Photos (Good Old Days)

airedale

14 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Where is all the camo?  How did they kill anything without high tech camo!

As Bow hunting pioneer Fred Bear said

"The best camouflage pattern is called, “Sit down and be quiet!” Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second."

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, airedale said:

"The best camouflage pattern is called, “Sit down and be quiet!” Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second."

Don't tell the native americans or even the guys in those photos that Fred pioneered bow hunting.  lol

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, airedale said:

I still have my red plaid coat from when I started deer hunting. But it's shrunk quite a bit since I wore it last.

Was wearing just jeans, layered sweatshirts, and that coat, when I shot my first few deer. 

My Grampy, would just walk out in his barn clothes, and engineer hat, and shoot a deer. 

• Like 2

I shot my first few deer wearing a Woolrich " PA Tuxedo" and a navy watchcap...

Then one day when we driving deer I came upon a watcher ( my ex-wife) and she said  " When I first saw you, you looked just like a deer"..

On the way home I stopped at the local western Auto store and bought an orange hat...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

05d620098ffd8219caf30e0cc4c71ae1.jpg

Another old one. My grandfather’s buddy with a big 11pt. The guy who killed the big buck had 1 arm but was a great hunter and killed a big buck every year in the Catskills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 9

You guys made me curious enough to dig out old photo albums that i knew had pictures of my dad shooting and with deer. I found all the guns in my cabinet in the pictures. My favorite was a picture of my dad shooting a woodchuck with my/his .22 mag Mossberg Chuckster from 42 years ago. It's funny, I can easily tell where I learned my offhand shooting form just setting a new picture of me next to old pictures of him. It is almost identical.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, airedale said:

That old Sears and Roebuck ad reminds me of those big catalogs they offered and that at one time a person could buy just about anything that was available because they carried it, today they are just about gone, sad!

Al

And then there was Herter's....My first reloading press ( metallic) was a Herter's and some of the tools I still use, including my powder scale were from Herter's...I had a catalog from the 60s and it was amazing..It is either buried up in The Mermaid's garage attic or I lost it when I evacuated my ex-wife's house..Either way I'll probably never see it again...Hehehe...

So many of these old pictures remind me of a time when hunting was a lot less demanding and represented a time when people "just hunted". No farming activities to train deer to make themselves concentrated and more available for easier hunting. We hunted the deer as we found them and did not try to train or program deer to behave in ways that we needed to take advantage of. There was less reliance on the efforts of some product designer trying to negate necessary skills. Many of the pictures in this thread were taken at a time when landowners did not post their land and there was free access to anyplace you were fit enough to walk. You could still-hunt without constantly stepping out in somebody's backyard. The bow seasons were known for rare and almost non-existent encounters with other hunters. Deer created real patterns that would stay stable without armies of people (hunters and non-hunters) interrupting them (except for gun season). Public lands were the domain of hunters, and not throngs of birdwatchers, hikers, and mountain bikers. State lands were not treated like shooting ranges. Deer hunting success was measured by body volume and/or the number of antler points and not some crazy intricate system of antler measurement. The 10 point buck was the talk of the neighborhood, and the mystical 12 point that everyone claimed to see but nobody ever got was what kept everybody out there trying. And probably the best part of those days was that there was no fighting and arguing over methods and seasons and equipment. The rules and laws and seasons were set and there was no constant loud combat about changing them. Hunting was a part of the rural culture, and never had to be defended. It was just something that a farm-kid was expected to become involved in. Even the teachers in school were known to have taken off an occasional opening day of deer season along with nearly all male high-school juniors and seniors. It was an unwritten day off.....not like today where you are practically spit on for taking the life of a critter.

I began hunting in the last days of those times depicted in some of those pictures, and I feel quite privileged to have known that kind of hunting. I have seen a lot of changes since those days, and I often wonder where those changes and future changes will lead the activity in years to come.

• Like 8

Years ago much of our hunting information came from the outdoor publications like Outdoor Life, Sports Afield, and Field and Stream to name a few. The artwork used on their covers  and advertising was outstanding. Today the outdoor magazines are a shadow of their former selves in both content and art. The evolution of companies can be seen, The old Bair Machine Tool Company which manufactured reloading equipment, turned into Pacific Reloading and now it is Hornady.

511apQzaSCL.jpg

642a13f27d3f5d99a5b705a548f77019.jpg

2018-07-17_121110.png

2018-07-16_155229.png

2018-07-17_115555.png

gunad16.jpg

gunad15.jpg

s-l1600 (16).jpg

The JC Higgins model 30 and 31 were very handsome looking rifles with that woodside walnut stock. When I was a young feller one of my hunting companions had one and I was jealous. If I ever happen to come across a real nice example I would probably buy it.

Al

wm_9826672.jpg

• 1 year later...