New Implement

The three point hitch on this broke and my buddy just wants it gone.   He is going to bring it to the plot at my property.  Tine depth adjusted by levers.   This should turn some dirt.  Seems about perfect to drag behind my ATV with some chains.  Excited to try it. And no downward force on the hitch like a groundhog.  Said it weighs over 150 so I don’t even think extra weight will be required.   Plus if I secure plywood underneath it should do a great job of knocking down cattails for a trail which I have been doing by flipping a piece of plywood stepping/jumping on it and doing it again.  Hopefully I never have to do that by hand again. 

D5BD416B-F282-4CA0-AD21-B934B8BECB9B.jpeg

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 9

7 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Why is that?

An ATV is not really designed for ground-engaging work, like an Ag tractor.  You would really be taxing the  drive-train of your machine, if you tied to go deeper than about two notches on the depth settings on both sides.  If you removed one side, you would have the ablility to work the soil a lot deeper.  

6 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

An ATV is not really designed for ground-engaging work, like an Ag tractor.  You would really be taxing the  drive-train of your machine, if you tied to go deeper than about two notches on the depth settings on both sides.  If you removed one side, you would have the ablility to work the soil a lot deeper.  

We shall see.  If it’s an issue, I can drop only 1/2 of the tines down or incrementally lower them.  I  am guessing it will hold up fine.  

9 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

We shall see.  If it’s an issue, I can drop only 1/2 of the tines down or incrementally lower them.  I  am guessing it will hold up fine.  

I hope we get some rain to soften up the ground a little bit.  I think you would have trouble pulling one section down two notches in the dry, concrete-hard ground we have out there right now.   Good luck with it.  I pulled a two-section one around ok, a couple notches down, with my dad's Polaris Ranger last fall when the ground was much softer after lots of rain.   

Edited by wolc123

14 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I hope we get some rain to soften up the ground a little bit.  I think you would have trouble pulling one section down two notches in the dry, concrete-hard ground we have out there right now.   Good luck with it.  I pulled a two-section one around ok, a couple notches down, with my dad's Polaris Ranger last fall when the ground was much softer after lots of rain.   

Thanks for your opinion.   

5 hours ago, land 1 said:

i use basically the same thing pull with 570 sportsman i cant set it all the way down but it does a great job did a little over 2 acres this year, it does take a few passes but the best thing ive found to use behind a wheeler

Thanks.  Do you keep it slow when dragging?

I use one just like it with my quad. (2) 3ft sets bolted together in the middle so they can flex with the ground contours. It works much better than a disk i think. Only down fall is with tall vegetaion, it will wrap and collect around the tines, therefore having to get off and clean the tines occasionally. And it tends to dig up rocks. Otherwise, I love mine, I try to keep a good pace, not to slow not too fast. it will cut better. .

13 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

I use one just like it with my quad. (2) 3ft sets bolted together in the middle so they can flex with the ground contours. It works much better than a disk i think. Only down fall is with tall vegetaion, it will wrap and collect around the tines, therefore having to get off and clean the tines occasionally. And it tends to dig up rocks. Otherwise, I love mine, I try to keep a good pace, not to slow not too fast. it will cut better. .

Sounds like a few are using these with good results  

I already hit the plot with glysophate.   I will cut it down and then try this.   Hoping for good results.    

11 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Sounds like a few are using these with good results  

I already hit the plot with glysophate.   I will cut it down and then try this.   Hoping for good results.    

You will love it man. Just keep the weeds shorter in length and it will rip!

39 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

It looks like the tines are in good shape and the holes are there. You could put on new nice sharp teeth on those. 

I assume they just bolt on?  Who sells tine teeth?

Edit - Looks like fleet and farm has a bunch of tip replacements.  I will have to measure the hole spacing and figure out what shape is best.

Edited by moog5050

That is what I always heard called " a set of drags"...

Years ago, a plow and a set of drags was all that most farmers around here used  for seed bed prep..  If you look around a little usually you can find a set behind  Old Mc Donald's barn that can be had free for the asking...They work well and are darn near indestructible..

• Like 3

Speed all depends slower at first and it may get jammed with weeds and roots first few time around  but after that all good and it does rip rocks up. I have no need for extra weight to be added those dig in pretty good on there own. 

• Like 1