Summer Practice

Doc

You guys putting in any practice time getting those archery muscles tuned up. I usually begin getting a bit more intense at the beginning of next month (August), but this year I I have started a little early.

Just starting to do some shooting, been getting the equipment tuned and working properly and the target backstop refurbished and back into shape. Picked up a new old bow to mess around with, an 1990s Oneida Eagle Aeroforce lever type compound I am still learning about it's idiosyncrasies, so far it has been interesting and fun.

Al

2018-07-15_175901.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

I was shooting out of a treestand that made me realize it's not for archery. For the fun of it I put the 3d target at 70 yards ,ended up losing an arrow . Gotta get that ladder stand switched out for a portable so I have some leg room to stand and shoot.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, airedale said:

Just starting to do some shooting, been getting the equipment tuned and working properly and the target backstop refurbished and back into shape. Picked up a new old bow to mess around with, an 1990s Oneida Eagle Aeroforce lever type compound I am still learning about it's idiosyncrasies, so far it has been interesting and fun.

Al

2018-07-15_175901.png

one of my favorite bows wish i still had mine.

9 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

I was shooting out of a treestand that made me realize it's not for archery. For the fun of it I put the 3d target at 70 yards ,ended up losing an arrow . Gotta get that ladder stand switched out for a portable so I have some leg room to stand and shoot.

yep i hate ladders too.

I have been checking out what it is like shooting from a sitting position. That is kind of weird, but I am getting used to it.

So many times I have been caught when I try to get off the stool and stand up for a classic shooting stance. So I thought I would see what happens when I try to shoot without getting up off the stool. As long as I can set up the exact shooting position it works great. But once I enter into situations where the target is not in the perfect position and I have to get into any twisting, things get a bit more unpredictable. But I'm working on it.

• Like 1

I have a 10' ladder stand in the back yard that I practice from . I put a bag target or my 3D at 20 yards . I shoot sitting at the 20 yards but have to stand to shoot at my 30 yard target as there is a cable running from a tree to a post and I would hit it if sitting . Sometimes I will shoot from a chair on the ground to practice for shooting from a blind .

A few brief sessions in the basement starting a few weeks ago. Got out to the range for the first time on Sunday and was immediately getting within several inches of bullseye out to 50. Good to see the bow had not adjusted itself over winter somehow. Each seasons the ramp up time is definitely shorter than the last :) 

On 7/22/2018 at 6:17 AM, Doc said:

I have been checking out what it is like shooting from a sitting position. That is kind of weird, but I am getting used to it.

So many times I have been caught when I try to get off the stool and stand up for a classic shooting stance. So I thought I would see what happens when I try to shoot without getting up off the stool. As long as I can set up the exact shooting position it works great. But once I enter into situations where the target is not in the perfect position and I have to get into any twisting, things get a bit more unpredictable. But I'm working on it.

I tried it once in the field during my first season and clean missed the deer (I think I caught part of the string on my stand and didn't realize it until afterward), and opening day of the following season I had a perfect hit on one while seated! I do not practice seated, though. 

17 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I need to get my bow over to the shop for a new string and cables. I have been having issues with my elbow and shoulder for the last month, so I need to get some practice in and see if Ill even be able to draw my bow this year. Getting older sucks.

Same here. Been shooting a couple arrows here and there since last winter, when my shoulder allows it. Had surgery done on it last year, but still can't draw and hold, my bow for more than a couple shots most days. Sadly, the end of my bowhunting is within sight now. Even with all the PT and stuff, not much improvement. Doc said we could try another surgery, no thanks!!!

Shot a buck with my bow last year. Thought then, that it was probably the last one with a bow. I may have one more left in me for this year.  Will have to see???

Grandson is shooting good though!  In the future, maybe he'll let his grampy tag along with him!

In the very near future, I'll be forced to hunt whatever the crossbow season is. Giving up my true love of the bow.

But it's been a nice 41 year run though. Hoping to make it 42 this year??

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, grampy said:

Same here. Been shooting a couple arrows here and there since last winter, when my shoulder allows it. Had surgery done on it last year, but still can't draw and hold, my bow for more than a couple shots most days. Sadly, the end of my bowhunting is within sight now. Even with all the PT and stuff, not much improvement. Doc said we could try another surgery, no thanks!!!

Shot a buck with my bow last year. Thought then, that it was probably the last one with a bow. I may have one more left in me for this year.  Will have to see???

Grandson is shooting good though!  In the future, maybe he'll let his grampy tag along with him!

In the very near future, I'll be forced to hunt whatever the crossbow season is. Giving up my true love of the bow.

But it's been a nice 41 year run though. Hoping to make it 42 this year??

No intrest in using a crossbow? I think you can get some sort of paper work done to use a crossbow if you can't draw a bow. If anything drop the poundage on the bow. It only needs to be 35 to hunt with.