Summer Practice

Doc

2 hours ago, 2012_taco said:

I haven't shot all summer, going to visit my son in So Cal for 2 weeks, I'll start when I get back. The bug should be in full gear by then! Tach we need to get together and fix up my Elite. (string  and cables).

Im not doing any of that until you start calling me Tacks lol. Bring that bad boy over this week and we will get it all set up

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

No intrest in using a crossbow? I think you can get some sort of paper work done to use a crossbow if you can't draw a bow. If anything drop the poundage on the bow. It only needs to be 35 to hunt with. 

I have no problem using a crossbow to stay in the woods for archery season. But I will save the disabled permits, for the ones who are truly disabled. I just want to participate, don't want special treatment. Perhaps full inclusion at some point would keep me active from Oct. 1st.?  But that has been debated to death here. No need to dwell on that again.

I have shot shot my bow at 70lb easily, for decades. Now my bow is set at 52lbs. To go any lower, I'd need a different bow. And not sure I want to purchase another bow at this point. Besides the pain, the main issue is my right shoulder locking up and not being able to come to full draw, with my elbow up. Have tried to shoot with the elbow down, closer to my body. Messes up my form, big time, but starting to adjust.

• Like 3

Have not put the bow down except for the past week, swollen ankle has me out for a week now, I will pick up the bow again tonight when I do the last seminar on deer hunting at Suffolk Archers.  Love the new Ritual from Elite, I can hold the draw for 5 minutes plus if I have to with no issues.  Still have the Helium and will keep that as a spare because it is slightly smaller and shoots just as well, slightly slower but is a great bow and keeps my form good.  

Think I am giving up on shooting dots with the field shoots, my eyes are getting worse and trying to use glasses is not working for me, might be the brown tint messing me up but at 600$ a pair I will have to wait to purchase another.  Having issues seeing the pin in dim light with glasses at least without them I see the pin ok. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

No intrest in using a crossbow? I think you can get some sort of paper work done to use a crossbow if you can't draw a bow. If anything drop the poundage on the bow. It only needs to be 35 to hunt with. 

There is no allowance of a crossbow for those than cant draw a bow at this time. You can only use crossbow during crossbow season. You can thank NYB and their ilk for that nonsense. Im having problems lifting a gallon of milk for more than a few seconds let alone draw a bow. It seems to be only with certain motions though, so we will see.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, grampy said:

I have no problem using a crossbow to stay in the woods for archery season. But I will save the disabled permits, for the ones who are truly disabled. I just want to participate, don't want special treatment. Perhaps full inclusion at some point would keep me active from Oct. 1st.?  But that has been debated to death here. No need to dwell on that again.

I have shot shot my bow at 70lb easily, for decades. Now my bow is set at 52lbs. To go any lower, I'd need a different bow. And not sure I want to purchase another bow at this point. Besides the pain, the main issue is my right shoulder locking up and not being able to come to full draw, with my elbow up. Have tried to shoot with the elbow down, closer to my body. Messes up my form, big time, but starting to adjust.

Haha no need to start that one back up again. Maybe lower the draw length? 

10 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

There is no allowance of a crossbow for those than cant draw a bow at this time. You can only use crossbow during crossbow season. You can thank NYB and their ilk for that nonsense. Im having problems lifting a gallon of milk for more than a few seconds let alone draw a bow. It seems to be only with certain motions though, so we will see.

I apologize, I as well as a few members of my archery club were under the impression they had that. At least thats how my bowhunters ed instructors explained it to me. 

8 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

I apologize, I as well as a few members of my archery club were under the impression they had that. At least thats how my bowhunters ed instructors explained it to me. 

The only permit they give for that is for a draw-loc. Its dumb if you ask me. Makes no sense.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

The only permit they give for that is for a draw-loc. Its dumb if you ask me. Makes no sense.

I agree. I always said those unable to effectively use a bow, due to medical reasons should be allowed to ue a crossbow through out the whole archery season. I think everyone can support that 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I need to get my bow over to the shop for a new string and cables. I have been having issues with my elbow and shoulder for the last month, so I need to get some practice in and see if Ill even be able to draw my bow this year. Getting older sucks.

Do you take fish oil supplements ? I had some tendonitis going on in my elbow and within a couple weeks of taking fish oil pills ,the pain was noticeably better ,now it's gone completely.  It's excellent at removing inflamation.

6 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Do you take fish oil supplements ? I had some tendonitis going on in my elbow and within a couple weeks of taking fish oil pills ,the pain was noticeably better ,now it's gone completely.  It's excellent at removing inflamation.

No, I dont take anything at all unless Im sick.

I’ve been shooting 2-3 times per week since June began. Having reached 60 this last winter, I do have to admit that hold times have been slipping but I’m still in the game. The crossbow will become a reality someday but not yet. I’m heading to Colorado in the fall to see if I can blunder into a sight and smell impaired elk. It’s always been a dream and the years are piling up quickly. 

I’ve been shooting 2-3 times per week since June began. Having reached 60 this last winter, I do have to admit that hold times have been slipping but I’m still in the game. The crossbow will become a reality someday but not yet. I’m heading to Colorado in the fall to see if I can blunder into a sight and smell impaired elk. It’s always been a dream and the years are piling up quickly. 

Good luck!!! Where abouts? Outfitter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m going solo down near Pagosa Springs. No outfitter though I have one who will bring a couple of mules to haul out if I get lucky. I have access to some private land bordering national forest so it’s going to be a real adventure. 

Edited by 46rkl
  • Like 1

My dad was state champion of NC and TN in the 1970's.  Walked the string and shot barebow against all those who used sights.  Made all his own arrows, fletching, etc.  He was a great archer.  I shot, as well, and had a nice collection of trophies myself.  At some point, dad broke down and got himself a compound - a Bear Tamerlane.  He still has it (pic attached).  He got it out a couple of months ago, and ... couldn't draw it.  Broke my heart.  A year ago, he was ok.  But at 81, it finally caught up with him.  

His take - get out there and do what you want NOW.  

Me and the boy'll be doin' just that come Oct 1.  Trying to practice a little every day now.  

jm

tamerlane.JPG

Edited by jmark
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, jmark said:

My dad was state champion of NC and TN in the 1970's.  Walked the string and shot barebow against all those who used sights.  Made all his own arrows, fletching, etc.  He was a great archer.  I shot, as well, and had a nice collection of trophies myself.  At some point, dad broke down and got himself a compound - a Bear Tamerlane.  He still has it (pic attached).  He got it out a couple of months ago, and ... couldn't draw it.  Broke my heart.  A year ago, he was ok.  But at 81, it finally caught up with him.  

His take - get out there and do what you want NOW.  

Me and the boy'll be doin' just that come Oct 1.  Trying to practice a little every day now.  

jm

tamerlane.JPG

It will be happening to us all if we are lucky enough to live that long to experience it. There also comes a time when we can't see as well, or even hold a gun up and still enough to guarantee a shot. Eventually, the old knees and ankles will come up short and fail us from even reaching preferred hunting grounds. It's all just part of the cycle of life. At those points in time, we will sit back and enjoy the memories and accomplishments and be thankful for all the hours of hunting we were blessed with. There is nothing new about all that and if we live long enough, we will all experience it. But finally hanging up the bow simply means that we were lucky enough to have had the experience of a wonderful way to hunt. I haven't gotten there yet, but it is now in sight.

By the way it was a pleasure to see that picture of the magnificent work of craftsmanship that the Bear Tamerlane was. I have mine hanging on the wall rack to remind me of my tournament activities. What a work of art!

• Like 1

Session number two at the Sodfather Archery Academy of WNY Academy! JeremyK made it out and brought way more targets than he should have been able to fit in his car. Also a Lawdwaz sighting he was our resident rangefinder and archery technician. 30261b34133a6c9aca0796dd4060906e.jpgde9afaf43e1104ec5de523507bd731ed.jpgd6e0d45e2a8f2e3f9b54db3203d3126e.jpg92f891a7ef983a2e32c5130149a17648.jpg Elites scattered everywhere! We took the can challenge back to 40 yards and also shot a bunch at 65 which was fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 5

On 7/24/2018 at 10:19 AM, NFA-ADK said:

Have not put the bow down except for the past week, swollen ankle has me out for a week now, I will pick up the bow again tonight when I do the last seminar on deer hunting at Suffolk Archers.  Love the new Ritual from Elite, I can hold the draw for 5 minutes plus if I have to with no issues.  Still have the Helium and will keep that as a spare because it is slightly smaller and shoots just as well, slightly slower but is a great bow and keeps my form good.  

Think I am giving up on shooting dots with the field shoots, my eyes are getting worse and trying to use glasses is not working for me, might be the brown tint messing me up but at 600$ a pair I will have to wait to purchase another.  Having issues seeing the pin in dim light with glasses at least without them I see the pin ok. 

I'm getting a little mad at my local bow shop. still no rituals on the shelves to shoot. I sent Elite an email 3 weeks ago and they said theyd take care of it... nope. Stickign with my Energy 32 this year.