My Grandson Shooting "His" New Rifle

Picked up my grandson after work tonight. He came to help me cut grass, and we had plans to shoot our bows after we were done. So we went downstairs to get them, and he picks up my Savage Axis 7mm-08, with Leuplold VX2 and some trigger work. He asks if we can shoot this instead? He is 14, and this will be his first deer season to hunt with a rifle. So I said sure, we can go shoot "YOUR" rifle! It officially became "His" at that moment! He set it down and gave me a big hug, and said thanks grampy. Well, after the lump left my throat, I said lets gather up our stuff and head over to the club range.

He has shot this a couple of times. But now he was shooting His rifle for the first time! He did pretty good at 117 yards! We have always shared a special bond of hunting and the outdoors. I think today made us just a little closer. This rifle will be what he takes afield, for his first gun hunt, and he will kill the first of many deer with this. I'll be along side him when that first one falls. With a smile on my face, and tears welling in my eyes. The circle will be complete then.IMG_32331.jpg.4618e80ddb035c627fd73a7acaef2552.jpgIMG_32341.jpg.98e1f3545afef5dce842c5b0bcb3ea7f.jpgIMG_32351.jpg.e207aaa43bc731e261687dc79ef981ed.jpg

• Like 21

Grandson will be coming over this evning, after his baseball game, to clean his rifle. His decision, not mine.

It's not a top of the line rifle, or even middle. But it is a good shooter! It will serve him well, as it did for me, for a few years until he upgrades. But this being his "first" rifle, I think it will always have a special place in his future collection. 

As of today, I don't think he'd trade it for a Weatherby..........grin.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, grampy said:

Grandson will be coming over this evning, after his baseball game, to clean his rifle. His decision, not mine.

It's not a top of the line rifle, or even middle. But it is a good shooter! It will serve him well, as it did for me, for a few years until he upgrades. But this being his "first" rifle, I think it will always have a special place in his future collection. 

As of today, I don't think he'd trade it for a Weatherby..........grin.

Good for you. Don't play the Savages down, the ones that we have shoot so good it makes me wonder why I even bother with any other brand. My wife bought an Axis 223, came with a mounted Weaver 3x9,  I sighted it in, 1st shot at 25yds right on the X, second shot I hit the 6" Plate at 190yds, 3rd shot I hit the 10" plate at 450. There's a youtube video on how to lighten the trigger on the non accu trigger model. Good luck this season.

• Like 2