Small Watercraft Question

DirtTime

Probably not this year, but, next year I want a boat of some sort I can put on top of either of our vehicles to fish out of. It will just be me in it. With all the small lakes ( ponds in reality ) I have around me that do not allow motors, it's a narrow selection of choices. Also, I really don't want a motor, rowing is just fine by me.

I have always looked at the Bantam boats ( they aren't called that anymore ) for years and years, canoes are always great for this type of fishing, or a kayak.

Here's my breakdown of the three:

Those two man Bantam style boats are nice, been on a couple in the past, most are very stable and you can even stand up in most of them, but trying to row one seems like a PITA. Lots of room for gear, nice elevated-rotating seats you can put a cushion on. Good way to go.

Canoes. IMO, the best light weight boat out there. I can get it on the top of my Jeep solo, and just go fishing. Lots of room for gear, pretty damn stable, and easy to row and get in tight places.

Kayaks. This is where I hit a wall. About the same as a canoe, easy to row and get into places, lighter then most canoes, just as durable as both my afore mentioned watercrafts, and some are much more affordable. Back to the wall I hit. Where do I put my tackle box, tie up the stringer, in fact, for fishing, where do I put anything? I was shore fishing this morning, I cast spinner baits, tubes, spoons, rubber worms, and even was flipping a weed free frog lure off lilly pads.

What say the masses? Of these three choices, what would you choose and why?

Edited by Rob...

I've spent a lot of time fishing from a canoe. Like you said, plenty of room for your fishing gear and easy to paddle and get around. Only thing is, for me, I need to stand and stretch every so often. That can be a bit dicy at times in a canoe.  But easy to load and launch is a big plus.

I know it's not one of your listed options, but have you thought about a small john boat? Again, easy to load and launch, plenty of room, but a lot more stable than a canoe. Could even get a trolling motor for the back to extend your fishing distance. And would be nice coming back against the wind! 

Whatever way you go, will increase your fishing opportunities, by getting off the bank. To be able to fish deeper weedlines, drop offs, secluded points and bays, will definitely put more fish on your line.

Good luck.

If you get a "sit on" kayak opposed to a "sit in" theres tons of room for gear. Lots of youtube videos on how to better setup for fishing. You can get a fishing sit on yak with rod holders already installed. The little cargo area behind usually is were your takle box would go, and people mount depth finders in the spot between ur legs. The real nice ones are pedal opperated so your hands are always free to cast. Hobie is a very well known maker of some great fishing kayaks. 

1 hour ago, grampy said:

I've spent a lot of time fishing from a canoe. Like you said, plenty of room for your fishing gear and easy to paddle and get around. Only thing is, for me, I need to stand and stretch every so often. That can be a bit dicy at times in a canoe.  But easy to load and launch is a big plus.

I know it's not one of your listed options, but have you thought about a small john boat? Again, easy to load and launch, plenty of room, but a lot more stable than a canoe. Could even get a trolling motor for the back to extend your fishing distance. And would be nice coming back against the wind! 

Whatever way you go, will increase your fishing opportunities, by getting off the bank. To be able to fish deeper weedlines, drop offs, secluded points and bays, will definitely put more fish on your line.

Good luck.

I did consider a "John Boat" actually. But even the lightweight ones seemed a little wide for rowing. Like I said, I don't want a motor. I also need to be able to load it on the top of my truck by myself.  I agree 100%, getting off the shore line will get me on bigger fish! 

Gencountyzeek, I'm still at an impass on the kayak. I like to have my tackle box in front of me so swapping out lures is fast and easy. I am not discounting your posts, please don't take it that way. If you use a kayak please post up some pics of your set-up and how you cast from the kayak.

It’s not of the three you listed, but I have a 12’ aluminum row boat with ores and a trolling motor.  Plenty of room for gear and kids.  My small trailer tows easy, and it’s pretty easy to launch.  For not so easy areas with only hand launches, I built a wooden dolly to “wheel” the boat to the water.  But of the three you mentioned the Bantam would be my vote.  You have room for another person, gear, and the option to stand up from time to time is a big deal.  Canoes and kayaks are great, but damn I’d be stiff and sore for a day or three after being confined to that sitting position for a few hours.

Edited by loworange88
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Rob... said:

I did consider a "John Boat" actually. But even the lightweight ones seemed a little wide for rowing. Like I said, I don't want a motor. I also need to be able to load it on the top of my truck by myself.  I agree 100%, getting off the shore line will get me on bigger fish! 

Gencountyzeek, I'm still at an impass on the kayak. I like to have my tackle box in front of me so swapping out lures is fast and easy. I am not discounting your posts, please don't take it that way. If you use a kayak please post up some pics of your set-up and how you cast from the kayak.

I have a real light aluminum boat. And love it.  I am a chicken to be in a kayak or canoe cause they tip too easy.  You can't pack in a alum boat but I can go most anywhere and stand up and fish.  And they row pretty easy. Mine isn't a flat John it has a V bow and it rows great.  Also the John boats are pretty easy to row.  Also easy to take another person.   Throw a trolling motor on it and it's a mini bass boat!  Unless your rowing through a type canoe trip the alum boat is best for just a day fishing.  Have been to many an Adirondack lake and fished the whole lake rowing.  

rps20180602_205803.jpg

IMG_20140622_081501_271.jpg

• Like 1

My wife and I fished out of a canoe for a lot of years, but the years that have passed have left both of us in a situation where neither of us can sit in the same position for too many hours (minutes) before it starts getting damn uncomfortable. That is a function of age, and may be something you have to throw into the selection formula now or a few years from now.

• Like 2

In my opinion, the canoe is the easy choice for a versatile fishing craft.  I have an 12 Old Town "Still water" model which weighs 56lbs and is a bit wider in the middle than most canoes and stable enough to stand up and fish in calm water.  Although they no longer make the still water, there are similar ones out there.  One of the best purchases I ever made for sure.

I can load it easily by myself for solo trips, it has plenty of room for gear and we've even loaded it up with camping gear and paddled out on Adirondack lakes to camp and fish a few days.  Very comfortable with two people on a fishing trip. You can have a big cooler, minnow bucket, anchor, tackle boxes with room to spare. You can add rod holders and a folding chair to your canoe and have a really comfortable fishing rig. When I paddle alone, I just sit in the front seat facing toward what is the back of the canoe, as the front seat is more centered and stable for one.   It's great for Adirondack lakes or drifting slow moving streams and rivers. Those fishing kayaks look nice but I think I'd feel too confined and limited on gear. 

• Like 2

Crazy as this sounds, I bought one of the PortaBotes that you see for sale at the outdoor shows, I've had it about 20 years. It's very light, but I'm not scared to take it out on the river or a bay. Works just fine with if you want to row it, or put a smaller outboard or trolling motor on it. Light enough & compact enough to fit in the back of my truck without a trailer. I don't even bother folding it down, I keep it assembled year round. Like a lightweight hybrid between a jonboat & a kayak, they come in 8, 10, and 12 feet models.

Edited by Uncle Nicky

I had a sit-on-top kayak a few years ago used it for saltwater fishing. It was great for a few years,but the thing with a kayak is there cramped and your always wet I never had any problems casting or landing fish from it. After a while reaching for gear behind you is second nature.i never felt uneasy paddling around even through some rough water.idid fall off once or twice but that was just me being stupid and pushing the limits. i see they’ve improved them quite a bit with the seat and even have a few with motors.

two important things alway wear your life jacket and pay attention to water temperatures. 

• Like 1

I would second the suggestion of a small 12’ aluminum boat, provided you have a pickup to haul it in.  That opens up the possibility of a second person fishing with you, and will be a lot safer and easier if you have little fishermen or women in your future.  

• Like 2

I had a 12 foot john boat that I used by myself for yrs.  I had ladder racks on my PU and I could easily load it onto the racks by myself.  I used the bed as much as possible, but if it was full of equipment, I didn't have a issue getting the boat onto the racks.  Also had a trolling motor for those larger ponds, small lakes. 

10 hours ago, loworange88 said:

It’s not of the three you listed, but I have a 12’ aluminum row boat with ores and a trolling motor.  Plenty of room for gear and kids.  My small trailer tows easy, and it’s pretty easy to launch.  For not so easy areas with only hand launches, I built a wooden dolly to “wheel” the boat to the water.  But of the three you mentioned the Bantam would be my vote.  You have room for another person, gear, and the option to stand up from time to time is a big deal.  Canoes and kayaks are great, but damn I’d be stiff and sore for a day or three after being confined to that sitting position for a few hours.

Here’s my little boat, the trailer used to be for a jetski.  I don’t own a pick up, I pull this with my standard shift, four door commuter car.

image.jpg

Edited by loworange88

I have all a row boat a canoe and a kayak. 

Row boat Is most stable with the most room, canoe is second and kayak third. 

If you look long enough you can catch a deal on a canoe, kayak not as much and row boat not likely under $500. 

Canoes are loadable for one person with a Jeep as well as kayaks. 

All that said I would opt for a canoe if I were you. Buy a stadium fold up seat with a back rest and enjoy. 

I lucked out recently on a Grumman Eagle with four paddles for $150. Good luck! 

• Like 1

car topper is the way to go plenty of room for you and the kids. I made my bones in an aluminum caretopper  on the Delaware and some lakes and reservoirs  in narrowsburg as a kid.He had a 5hp ted Williams outboard for the Delaware and me as a motor w/ oars on the lakes  and resevoirs cause they didn't allow motors .I also had my first boat in Jamaica bay I had more fun with that bat that the other 3 I had. Believe me its the way to go much more versatile and 10xs more stable than I yak and canoe you can stand in one [on calm days I did it casting bucktails to stripers and fluke] you aint doing that's in a canoe and yak for sure  heres a few I like . yeah I know some are on trailers but you can put them on roof racks too.

th.jpg

untitled.png

A12-9604%20hi%20res.jpg

It’s a large canoe and a bit heavy, but I could load it on top of a mini van, you can have my Old Town Discovery 169, for $350 , it’s $1,100 new .

Very stable and durable, far better then Colemans or aluminum ones . I’ve done 100’s of miles of whitewater from the ADK to the Yukon and fished all the way ( not all in this one) .

heres a link 

https://oldtowncanoe.johnsonoutdoors.com/discovery-169-53?_ga=2.169024035.301110967.1532267665-1053097114.1532267665&_gac=1.242935350.1532267684.EAIaIQobChMI3pHm3-2y3AIVD9bACh1KZAKwEAAYASABEgJEBfD_BwE

• Like 1

I've got a 14 foot Sportspal that is fairly light and I can handle myself to put on a vehicle. Put a motor mount on it for an electric trolling motor. But as some others have said, I think you would be real happy with a 12 foot aluminum v-hull or johnboat on a trailer. More stable, more room, more comfortable. 

• Like 1

I have taken the kayak off the list. I looked at videos on using them for fishing, and even hauling ultra light backpacking gear. Just not for me.

The aluminum boats including johns are out as well. I do not have a pick-up, or trailer anymore so hauling them isn't in the wheel-house. My back and trying to lug one of those on top of my Cherokee? Yeah, I see busted out windows, an ambulance, and a hospital stay, LOL.

I am really leaning towards the Bantam type. Stable, they come with swivel seats, wired for an electric trolling motor if I ever decide to put one on it an register it.

Canoe is my fall back. Not always the most comfy, but versatile in I can use to maybe camp on an island on public land with small lakes that allow camping.

I am really appreciating the feedback, it's made me look at:

What are all the possible uses I would have for a small boat?

Can I load it on my vehicle and unload it alone?

Storage.

Room for plenty of gear.

Stability.

Edited by Rob...