Small Watercraft Question

DirtTime

On 7/22/2018 at 7:42 PM, Robhuntandfish said:

These are nice too .  Have thought about the beavertail boat several times but never pulled the trigger on one.

american-12-Jon-boat.png

581608i_ts.jpg

Was looking at that Beavertail. Man that looks a sweet set up for being a kayak/canoe hybrid. From looking at the site it looks like the pic you posted is the Stealth 1200 Sneak boat with two seats.

Boat- $800

Seats- $180 each ( so $360 )

Oars + life jackets - $200-$300 ( not from that site, just average price for good quality on those must have items )

Shipping- $320

Total = $1680

Man I like that set up, but WAY out of my price range.

We've got a pair of kayaks, a canoe, and recently bought a 12 ft aluminum V. I have to say for a small boat, the aluminum is my choice for stability and a little elbow room.

I think you're going to settle in on the canoe as a second choice for stability, but your first choice for one man portability.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2018 at 6:30 AM, genesee_mohican said:

In my opinion, the canoe is the easy choice for a versatile fishing craft.  I have an 12 Old Town "Still water" model which weighs 56lbs and is a bit wider in the middle than most canoes and stable enough to stand up and fish in calm water.  Although they no longer make the still water, there are similar ones out there.  One of the best purchases I ever made for sure.

I can load it easily by myself for solo trips, it has plenty of room for gear and we've even loaded it up with camping gear and paddled out on Adirondack lakes to camp and fish a few days.  Very comfortable with two people on a fishing trip. You can have a big cooler, minnow bucket, anchor, tackle boxes with room to spare. You can add rod holders and a folding chair to your canoe and have a really comfortable fishing rig. When I paddle alone, I just sit in the front seat facing toward what is the back of the canoe, as the front seat is more centered and stable for one.   It's great for Adirondack lakes or drifting slow moving streams and rivers. Those fishing kayaks look nice but I think I'd feel too confined and limited on gear. 

Here's a photo I took this past weekend as I spent a few days tent camping and mostly bass fishing in the Adirondacks. I had all my gear and a cooler in my 12 canoe with room to spare. The seat I added this year made for all day casting comfort.

IMG_0685.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 months later...