Canning thread started!

We just bought a 1/2 bushel of pickling cukes. Already have the spices and pickle crisp. Got some fresh garlic, and jalapeño to make the spicy pickles. Doing those up tomorrow!

August, we will be getting a few bushels of tomatoes and making our homemade pasta/red sauce again this year.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, corydd7 said:

Otto, do you have any pictures of where these were grown? They look great enjoy, I'm just wondering the amount of space it took you to grow that amount.

I don’t have a pic, but the total was less than a 10’ x 6’ plot.  I space the cloves about 6” apart and 3” deep in 2 close rows about 8” apart.  Then I space the next row about 18” apart so I can easily weed.  Plant the cloves in early October.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Otto said:

I don’t have a pic, but the total was less than a 10’ x 6’ plot.  I space the cloves about 6” apart and 3” deep in 2 close rows about 8” apart.  Then I space the next row about 18” apart so I can easily weed.  Plant the cloves in early October.  

My bed is  about 4' x8' and I only plant about half of it to garlic and get about 100 bulbs....I plant mine in early to mid October also... Dug mine 2 weeks ago...

11 hours ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

Being overrun with squash and zucchini. Canned 6 quarts of fill pickles with whole garlic included.also pics of more zucchini and squash 8 zucchini picked today and 6 yellow squash after canning 6 quarts yesturday. First green beans from the garden included.

IMG_20180722_213818.jpg

IMG_20180722_213848.jpg

That zucchini and squash makes some great pickles if you get overrun with them. Let them get big and take out the seed area. slice up and use your favorite pickle recipe. Great way to use the bumper harvest that happens with those two plants. I suggest making sure to use pickle crisp when doing them. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Thread hijack!!!!

Here’s why I usually avoid Zucchini
806c468416df2efeca2fa7aa4990d980.jpg

Under all that green ain’t jack squat !!! Space killer in a small garden

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Give it time it'll grow. When did you plant it I planted mine weekend of May 15. I just started getting it. Once they come you'll have an abundance of them.

54 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Thread hijack!!!!

Here’s why I usually avoid Zucchini
806c468416df2efeca2fa7aa4990d980.jpg

Under all that green ain’t jack squat !!! Space killer in a small garden

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look into "bush" varieties.  They don't vine like that, so they take up less room.  I plant vine type squash in my "pumpkin patch", and bush style squash in my raised beds.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

It's all good was wondering if anyone else was canning. That looks great.

I usually can some hot peppers, but not this year. I get too carried away, and make way to many jars and some end up getting tossed.

I might do some salsa and some salsa verde ( the salsa verde will depend on if I can get the ingredients when we buy the tomatoes for our sauce. No garden this year, so green tomatoes are hard to come by ).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob... said:

I usually can some hot peppers, but not this year. I get too carried away, and make way to many jars and some end up getting tossed.

I might do some salsa and some salsa verde ( the salsa verde will depend on if I can get the ingredients when we buy the tomatoes for our sauce. No garden this year, so green tomatoes are hard to come by ).

I'm up north in Clinton county gonna have a lot of green tomatoes if you want some.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

I'm up north in Clinton county gonna have a lot of green tomatoes if you want some.

I'm down in south Albany county, near the Green County border.  I appreciate the offer, though. I appreciate it very much.

• Like 1

Have you ever canned venison ?  My mother use to do it when I was a kid, and it was always pretty good.  My buddy killed a moose, that the taxidermist estimated to be 8-1/2 years old, a few years ago.  The roasts that he had in the freezer were pretty tough.  Those that he chopped up and canned (using a pressure cooker) were tender and excellent tasting.  Eventually, he thawed out the rest of the roasts and canned them too, which made them all good and tender.  That canned old-moose stroganoff over noodles is one of the finer meals that I ever remember at a hunting camp.   

I am sorry but canned vegetables just don't do much for me, so it is hard for me to get excited about that.  To me, vegetables are what food eats.   

Edited by wolc123

We can't wait to go get our tomatoes in a couple weeks ( that's the plan anyway ) and make our tomato sauce. Didn't make any last Summer. It's a process, and we are hoping the weekend we get it going is at least a low dew point in the temp outside.