Old ammo disposal

Morning everyone!  My wife’s family was doing some cleaning at her Grandmother house and came across some old ammo and was instructed to “get rid of it”.  A few boxes of calibers that I own, I was allowed to keep, there are however maybe a dozen rounds of randoms a few of which look to be surplus with no clear ID marks/stampings.  What would be the best method to dispose of these?  I live in the burbs, so sticking them bullet down in the dirt is not really what I have in mind...

thanks for any input.

If you reload or know someone who does, use a bullet puller to make the round inert. Spray the inside of the cartridge with WD40 to soak the primer. You can use the powder, as fertilizer for your garden! Toss the rest in the trash or recycle bin.

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

I have to disagree with that 100% for multiple reasons. Although they are not as dangerous as they would be if confined in a rifle chamber, they are still deadly. The garbage man compacts the load, they go off and start a fire in the load. A round actually goes off and hits the young man loading your garbage at close range. The lead bleeds into your and my water source etc.

I would just drop a hand full at a time in the weekly kitchen garbage. They will breakdown eventually into harmless factors, and are less a concern than an aerosol can .

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

i'd take it to the local state police barracks. they have ranges and dispose of that stuff on a a regular basis. for our local range if we get a dud that doesn't go off during any course of fire we toss it in container full of water with sand at the bottom.

21 minutes ago, Single_shot said:

The lead bleeds into your and my water source etc.

Kind of an interesting thought that a handful of lead bullets will contaminate ground water to a significant degree.:rolleyes:

Around here are the lead deposits close enough to surface they were hand dug in Revolutionary War times to supply US armory.

• Like 4

Kind of an interesting thought that a handful of lead bullets will contaminate ground water to a significant degree.:rolleyes:
Around here are the lead deposits close enough to surface they were hand dug in Revolutionary War times to supply US armory.
1 gal of oil can contaminate 1 million gallons of water. Lead is no different. I'm not saying that 1 bullet is going to kill us all from lead leach. But if you do some simple research, you will see it don't take much and is a serious issue. http://www.cayugalake.org/101.html

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk