DMP's for this season.

Larry

licenses should be avail in a week or so, its coming.....

I always have to decide which areas to apply for.  I hunt 3 different ones so have to use some strategery.  lol  But then they always offer second free permits to two of the areas later on anyway.  I usually end up with 4.  

Preference Points Required..............4-H     Same old song and dance.  

We will get one land owners permit.  

Thing is, in most of this WMU, it's like playing Russian Roulette driving on some roads, early and late in the day. There is more deer in 4-H now, than there ever was!  But I guess they need to appease the 'hunter', who goes out a handful of times, plunks his butt down 75 yards from their back door or vehicle. "Sits" for two hours and shuffles out of the woods, complaining to anyone who will listen, "there ain't no deer"!!!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, grampy said:

Thing is, in most of this WMU, it's like playing Russian Roulette driving on some roads, early and late in the day. There is more deer in 4-H now, than there ever was!  But I guess they need to appease the 'hunter', who goes out a handful of times, plunks his butt down 75 yards from their back door or vehicle. "Sits" for two hours and shuffles out of the woods, complaining to anyone who will listen, "there ain't no deer"!!!

it's flat out disgusting the difference in hunting experiences here within 4C.  there's QDM co-ops where the hunting is great and odds very high of filling tags. then just a 20 minute drive to my house still in that WMU and it's very little deer numbers (that's coming from me, a guy that owns a local honey hole for deer). people there basically take whatever deer they can fill a tag with buck, doe, or fawn.  they don't understand that DEC gives them tags but they do the management with a trigger pull.  i've offered up spots and intel to complete strangers complaining to me there's no deer that would likely have them filling tags in 4j where it's guaranteed to get whatever you want for DMP tags and they just tell me they're going to pass because it's not as convenient as the situation out the back door that you stated. they're definitely their own worst enemy. plus when i explain some QDM practices to them that'd help i get the "you're a horn hunter. you're an elitist. i don't own enough land to matter. i don't own any land to make any of that matter." i just let them walk away knowing i'm going to shoot another deer in a place where there's none and we'll have the same conversation all over again.

• Like 2

MED/NONE for my WMU. Not great but better than recent years where it has been NONE/NONE or Preference Points/NONE. Which is frustrating as we have the opportunity to harvest a doe almost every time we hunt during gun season.

Edited by MPHunter

i would be disheartened for sure if I couldnt get a doe permit.  I am lucky that all three areas i hunt are all high.  6S, 7J, 7F.  and in 7J and 7F they give out more permits later in season for free and still cant give them all away.  I usually at most fill 2 but always pick up a couple of extra anyway.  Esp if a buddy brings one of his kids and I can sign a permit over to them.   

2 hours ago, grampy said:

I agree with this to a point. There are some heavy pockets of deer around. My in-laws cant keep plants or bushes in the ground at there place in 4H. I usually fill my DMP over there. I know of a guy that has a couple hundred acres and he says he has no where near the numbers he had 10-15 years ago. 

The problem is there is no real good way to report and get a solid number of actual deer in an area. I know too many people who forget or just don't report a harvest. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

And none for 5t again. Not even a loandowners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They gave yours to the folks in 5R near Saratoga. They said all their highdollar landscaping is getting eaten.

6 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

They gave yours to the folks in 5R near Saratoga. They said all their highdollar landscaping is getting eaten.

Or there are just a stupid amount of deer here shagging away in limited access areas.

20180316_074858.jpg

• Like 1