New stock - ugly or nice?

I picked up a Savage model 12 heavy barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor last winter for another choice of deer rifle. I wanted to drop it in another stock, as the plastic stock seems chintzy. So a month or so I was looking at Boyd's stocks and saw their new At-One style. I thought it was ugly as sin the first time I saw it. I wound up not ordering anything at the time. Well, I keep going to the site to think about another style, and kept looking at the ugly one to the point that I came around to thinking it's a cool look. I ordered it last night in their "coyote" color. Should be here in about 2-3 weeks. Boyd's stocks are heavy (have one of their thumb holes on a rimfire), and the gun is heavy already so this thing should weigh in comparable to an artillery piece. I stand hunt 99.9% of the time so I just have to carry in and out, don't care that much about weight. Pic is from the website and I'm curious on opinions, looks ugly or looks good?

IMG_2803.PNG

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I like it. first I am function over form , if it fits you and helps a person shoot well I don’t care what it looks like. Second anything is better than most composit stocks that come on rifles now a days. But again I like it I like the color combo.. 

each have their own look. doesn't look much different than a biathlon or match rifle.  i've been thinking about upgrading my walnut stock on my deer rifle that's getting beat up. mcmillan mcwoody synthetic keeps catching my eye.

She ain't no beauty queen, but I don't have to sleep with her....Hehehe...
Actually, I am somewhat fond of laminates... 

You don’t HAVE to sleep with her but let’s face it if the opportunity arose you would!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 2

I picked up a Savage model 12 heavy barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor last winter for another choice of deer rifle. I wanted to drop it in another stock, as the plastic stock seems chintzy. So a month or so I was looking at Boyd's stocks and saw their new At-One style. I thought it was ugly as sin the first time I saw it. I wound up not ordering anything at the time. Well, I keep going to the site to think about another style, and kept looking at the ugly one to the point that I came around to thinking it's a cool look. I ordered it last night in their "coyote" color. Should be here in about 2-3 weeks. Boyd's stocks are heavy (have one of their thumb holes on a rimfire), and the gun is heavy already so this thing should weigh in comparable to an artillery piece. I stand hunt 99.9% of the time so I just have to carry in and out, don't care that much about weight. Pic is from the website and I'm curious on opinions, looks ugly or looks good?
IMG_2803.thumb.PNG.604f8045b929fa1ae3dc96f43ce9f1d1.PNG
Should look good. Looking forward to the pics after the install.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

IMG_2803.thumb.PNG.604f8045b929fa1ae3dc96f43ce9f1d1.PNG
Should look good. Looking forward to the pics after the install.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

Great choice in color. I love that coyote color! As for the stock, to me it takes some growing on to get used to it. At first glance i dont care for it, but the more i look at it i like it a tad better each time lol  

First time I saw it, I thought, who the heck would buy that? A few weeks later, I did. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I will be honest with you Jerry, I think it is hideous.  :negative:

Maybe it would grow on me after a while too, but I would hope not.  I also like a hunting stock to be free of frills.  I really hate the fore end with the under rail.  Won't all of those adjustable pieces on the butt fill with dirt in the field?  I can appreciate laminates, but most have fine layers.  This one seems to have thick layers, giving it a gaudy look.

I can find beauty in a target rifle that is ugly when it shoots well, but I like hunting rifles to be a thing of beauty.  That being said, I sacrifice looks for durability and hunt with a Kimber Montana.  She is a plain Jane that looks good to me, because I love the way it hunts.

Anyway, just giving you my honest opinion since you asked.  To each his own.  I hope you enjoy it in good health for many years to come.

• Like 1

Holy crap, this thing showed up in two days. Saturday delivery no less. I expected it in 3 weeks by the confirmation email. I'm not sure if I like it or not looks-wise, seems a little flashy for me. Kind of wish I went with the darker nutmeg option. Will be 75% bench gun 25% deer gun. Mostly a bench gun that I can kill a deer with. Had to do some dremel work on the stock for final fitting. Topped it with a 4-16x vortex diamondback. They sell different butt extenders at Boyd's, and I think I'll get one without that silver color.

Have to go put some rounds down the pipe later and finish sighting it in. I'm interested to see how it does at 300 yds and beyond. I've got a spot out back to stretch to 400 and my tower stand overlooks it. I rarely if ever practice beyond 200, but want to be able to at least take a 400 yd shot with some reasonable proficiency. Not necessarily in a hunting situation, but just to have the skill to do it.

IMG_2806.JPG

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 6

17 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Also, is there a bedding block or anything in that stock? Is the barrel free floated?

Free floated. Checked it with a sheet of paper back to the action. It's freakin heavy. I just balanced it on the bathroom scale - who knows how accurate that is - came in a 12.5 lbs. I believe it. Feels like holding 1 & 1/2 guns. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Free floated. Checked it with a sheet of paper back to the action. It's freakin heavy. I just balanced it on the bathroom scale - who knows how accurate that is - came in a 12.5 lbs. I believe it. Feels like holding 1 & 1/2 guns. 

Nice that its free floated, but thats too bad on the weight. Way too heavy for my deer rifle, it would suck to carry still hunting.