Late Summer Food Plots- Insert Moisture

It doesn't show it in the pics, but their was quite a bit of moisture in the rolled ground. That rainfall we had a week ago Sunday really helped a lot. I do believe their is enough moisture to sprout the seed and get it up. Beyond that, I don't know how long before the seedlings run out of moisture and wither away.

We got an inch and one half two weeks ago Sunday and a ground wetting the following Wednesday; that is it. Weather Service says our county hasn't been this dry in decades. Even with dark clouds over head, nothing in them.

I'm looking into a water truck, to pull water out of the canal and spray on the plots. It's getting that serious.

9 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I got My plots done today. Supposed to have rain tomorrow and the next couple of days after that. The ground was pretty wet down there, disc clogged up a bunch of times. 

I think your timing will be perfect. With the moisture in the ground right now, they ought to be right up.

I will sneak another area in this week. My first planting, radishes are up and the oats are showing, Good moisture in the ground but, we still have a ways to go.

• Like 2

On 8/3/2018 at 8:06 PM, stubborn1VT said:

Still nothing here.  60-70% chance later tonight.  I have heard that before...

Starting to regret planting this week.  Meanwhile there is a flash flood watch in Southern Vermont.

Are you doing any better in the moisture department? Things are looking much better. Second cutting hay is growing nicely. Garden doubling in growth size. Rain is working the summer fallow wheat ground. Going to try to sneak in some more deer feed today between the rain drops. We're looking a lot better than we did in June - July. 

Hope you get some well deserved moisture.

8 minutes ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

Are you doing any better in the moisture department? Things are looking much better. Second cutting hay is growing nicely. Garden doubling in growth size. Rain is working the summer fallow wheat ground. Going to try to sneak in some more deer feed today between the rain drops. We're looking a lot better than we did in June - July. 

Hope you get some well deserved moisture.

We got one thundershower that dumped .70" a couple days ago.  That will certainly help with germination.  Our second cut is growing SLOW.  My garden looks okay, but my yield will be way down.  We're scheduled for a thundershower today, but from the looks of the radar it's going to skirt by us again.  It could be worse.  It could also be better.  Certainly better than July, but it's going to take more than a few showers to get us back toward "normal", whatever that is these days.  

• Like 1

First plot is starting to fill in. Second area was to muddy, maybe plant tomorrow. The rain this morning sure uncovered some work I need to do before seeding. The wooded area shows my favorite spot to sit. I willing to share my spot with others, but know one will sit there., LOL

8-7-18 013.JPG

8-7-18 018.JPG

8-7-18 022.JPG

8-7-18 027.JPG

8-7-18 031.JPG

Edited by landtracdeerhunter
  • Like 2

I just sprayed a new spot last week but won't be able to disk it until after the 20th. Hope to seed it soon after with red clover, which should sprout and grow fast.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thunderstorms are so unpredictable.  One storm missed us.  A second little cell gave us half an hour of light rain.  It cleared off and the sun came out.  Half an hour later we got a downpour of an inch in 45 minutes.  There is no real forecast.  We get what we get.  I'm hoping this will kick my plots into gear.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, stubborn1VT said:

Thunderstorms are so unpredictable.  One storm missed us.  A second little cell gave us half an hour of light rain.  It cleared off and the sun came out.  Half an hour later we got a downpour of an inch in 45 minutes.  There is no real forecast.  We get what we get.  I'm hoping this will kick my plots into gear.  

Glad to see your getting moisture.  We have a batch moving out of Canada; should hit us in an hour or so. Looks like some heavy rain in it.

23 hours ago, stubborn1VT said:

We got one thundershower that dumped .70" a couple days ago.  That will certainly help with germination.  Our second cut is growing SLOW.  My garden looks okay, but my yield will be way down.  We're scheduled for a thundershower today, but from the looks of the radar it's going to skirt by us again.  It could be worse.  It could also be better.  Certainly better than July, but it's going to take more than a few showers to get us back toward "normal", whatever that is these days.  

No more normal, just extremes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...