Late Summer Food Plots- Insert Moisture

On 8/27/2018 at 1:05 PM, LET EM GROW said:

Gotcha, that was my only guess. Seeing how the plants looked. I thought you were getting numbers of some sort from samples. Lol. 

Ive got a plot of short, very wet and yellow looking brassicas. Hoping they dry up some soon.  

Believe it or not, we could still use rain here. Their is moisture in the ground, but it's not any to wet. Sneaking 2nd cut hay off and bone dry by 11 am. in this heat.

1 hour ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

Believe it or not, we could still use rain here. Their is moisture in the ground, but it's not any to wet. Sneaking 2nd cut hay off and bone dry by 11 am. in this heat.

We just got a little here on the other side of the creek.   I bush-hogged the last of my buckwheat yesterday afternoon and got two passes with the disk on it today before the rain came down too hard.  I will work a little fertilizer into that ground over the up-coming long weekend and seed it with a wheat/soybean/white-clover mix.   

While I was back there this afternoon, I noted that the coons are starting to hit my field-corn pretty hard.  It looks like they downed a bushel or two on the back one-acre plot last night.  Starting Friday night, I will counterattack the masked-bandits, with (4) box traps, baited with peanut-butter coated marshmellows and two dog-proofs, baited with cat-food.   That combination usually sets them back in short order.   I only like to trap "damaging coons" when I don't have to go to work the next morning.  It is a pain to check those traps in the dark, and I don't like to leave them suffer in the cages all day when I am at work.  I carry a shovel and my .22, when checking the traps prior to opening of regular trapping season, because the NY state DEC requires that the carcasses be "burried or burned" immediately.  The hides are nearly worthless, so after the season opens in October, I just toss them out in the field to feed the buzzards.             

13 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

We just got a little here on the other side of the creek.   I bush-hogged the last of my buckwheat yesterday afternoon and got two passes with the disk on it today before the rain came down too hard.  I will work a little fertilizer into that ground over the up-coming long weekend and seed it with a wheat/soybean/white-clover mix.   

While I was back there this afternoon, I noted that the coons are starting to hit my field-corn pretty hard.  It looks like they downed a bushel or two on the back one-acre plot last night.  Starting Friday night, I will counterattack the masked-bandits, with (4) box traps, baited with peanut-butter coated marshmellows and two dog-proofs, baited with cat-food.   That combination usually sets them back in short order.   I only like to trap "damaging coons" when I don't have to go to work the next morning.  It is a pain to check those traps in the dark, and I don't like to leave them suffer in the cages all day when I am at work.  I carry a shovel and my .22, when checking the traps prior to opening of regular trapping season, because the NY state DEC requires that the carcasses be "burried or burned" immediately.  The hides are nearly worthless, so after the season opens in October, I just toss them out in the field to feed the buzzards.             

You won’t make coon taco’s ?

43 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Do you need a permit for trapping them this time of year?

1 minute ago, Lawdwaz said:

31 minutes ago, sodfather said:

You won’t make coon taco’s ?

Sod:

If I caught a young one, late in the season when it was cold out and relatively bug-free, I might toss it in the crock pot with a can of cream of mushroom soup or some BBQ sauce.  That makes any thing edible, even Canada goose breasts. 

Larry:

The state regs allow a landowner to trap and kill "damaging" coons without a permit, however the carcasses must be burried or burned.  I suppose that the definition of "damaging" may be up to the discretion of the DEC officer.   I always wait until I see some knocked-down corn stalks and nearby coon tracks, that makes it easy to prove.   If you wait until the season opens, In October, you loose most of your corn.  Now days,  since the collapse of fur prices, the only sure-fire way to make small corn plots last thru ML season, is to get rid of the coons yourself.  The earlier you take them out, the more corn you save. 

I use to think that the turkeys took out most of the corn, but I have since learned that they only eat it when it has been knocked down first by the coons.  The turkey is my friend now, after many years of considering them nothing but "feathered rats".   I never had much luck calling in the spring.   I picked up tags, and am looking forward to bush-wacking a young hen out of my deer blind this fall with the shotgun, when they come out to feed on clover.  I have been watching a flock and the poults are now nearly as big as their mother.  Soon, I will be able to tell the jakes apart from the young hens.  A buddy gave me the breast from an old spring tom one time and I would not want to eat that again (dry and tough), but a young fall hen might make another crock-pot treat worth a try .        

Years ago, area fur-trappers and hunters kept coon populations in check.   Coyotes have also done a good job of keeping their numbers down, but I now have excellent trappers on each side (one is actually the town wildlife/pet control officer so he takes them year-round).  They make short work of any yote that wanders into our neighborhood.   Rabies can also wipe out coons in vast number, but the DEC has put the kabosh on that one in Erie county (at the urging of local pet-owners), with aerial drops of rabies medicine.           

Sod:
If I caught a young one, late in the season when it was cold out and relatively bug-free, I might toss it in the crock pot with a can of cream of mushroom soup or some BBQ sauce.  That makes any thing edible, even Canada goose breasts. 
Larry:
The state regs allow a landowner to trap and kill "damaging" coons without a permit, however the carcasses must be burried or burned.  I suppose that the definition of "damaging" may be up to the discretion of the DEC officer.   I always wait until I see some knocked-down corn stalks and nearby coon tracks, that makes it easy to prove.   If you wait until the season opens, In October, you loose most of your corn.  Now days,  since the collapse of fur prices, the only sure-fire way to make small corn plots last thru ML season, is to get rid of the coons yourself.  The earlier you take them out, the more corn you save. 
I use to think that the turkeys took out most of the corn, but I have since learned that they only eat it when it has been knocked down first by the coons.  The turkey is my friend now, after many years of considering them nothing but "feathered rats".   I never had much luck calling in the spring.   I picked up tags, and am looking forward to bush-wacking a young hen out of my deer blind this fall with the shotgun, when they come out to feed on clover.  I have been watching a flock and the poults are now nearly as big as their mother.  Soon, I will be able to tell the jakes apart from the young hens.  A buddy gave me the breast from an old spring tom one time and I would not want to eat that again (dry and tough), but a young fall hen might make another crock-pot treat worth a try .        
Years ago, area fur-trappers and hunters kept coon populations in check.   Coyotes have also done a good job of keeping their numbers down, but I now have excellent trappers on each side (one is actually the town wildlife/pet control officer so he takes them year-round).  They make short work of any yote that wanders into our neighborhood.   Rabies can also wipe out coons in vast number, but the DEC has put the kabosh on that one in Erie county (at the urging of local pet-owners), with aerial drops of rabies medicine.           

Do you plan on shooting this turkey with your shotgun while deer hunting ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

Do you plan on shooting this turkey with your shotgun while deer hunting ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, I will not start deer hunting in the southern zone until Nov 3, when fall turkey season ends, deer crossbow season opens, and the rut kicks off.  That young hen turkey would need to be shot (with shotgun), sometime between October 20 and November 2.  There is a much slimmer chance that I may fill that fall turkey tag on October 12, up in the northern zone, if such a "target of opportunity" presents itself while I am deer hunting with my crossbow.  

Thank you for questioning this.  In checking all the fine print concerning both zones, I see that it would be legal for me to kill a turkey up north, while deer hunting with my crossbow, on October 13 and 14, but not with my muzzleloading rifle.   That gives me another reason, besides heavy rain, to carry the crossbow instead of the muzzleloader on those days.   Since wild turkey tastes bad to me while deer tastes good, and my ML range is 3X my crossbow range, I think I will stick with the muzzleloader.   Muzzleloading shotguns are legal for turkeys however.

1 hour ago, chefhunter86 said:

Rabies can also wipe out coons in vast number, but the DEC has put the kabosh on that one in Erie county (at the urging of local pet-owners), with aerial drops of rabies medicine.           

Aerial drops of rabies medicine?

6 minutes ago, kpkot said:

Aerial drops of rabies medicine?

Erie & Niagara Counties do rabies drops for 'coons.  I believe they've been doing this for years........

http://www2.erie.gov/health/index.php?q=press/rabies-vaccine-airdrop-begins-mid-august-program’s-goal-reduce-incidence-rabies-local-wildlife

http://www.niagara-gazette.com/news/local_news/health-officials-say-rabies-vaccine-drops-starting-this-week/article_5f62fab0-3b1f-546d-bdd4-1eb7d142662d.html

Edited by Lawdwaz

2 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

wow that's interesting! This past friday there was a chopper flying all over my house.  I assumed they were looking for someone. Maybe that was that? Chopper was red or orange in color.

21 minutes ago, kpkot said:

wow that's interesting! This past friday there was a chopper flying all over my house.  I assumed they were looking for someone. Maybe that was that? Chopper was red or orange in color.

I was in a development of town houses behind Triple A/Wegmans area on Friday afternoon.  A chopper was flying straight east then went west towards home.......low as all get out.  I think this one was black with some orange or red in it too.

12 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I was in a development of town houses behind Triple A/Wegmans area on Friday afternoon.  A chopper was flying straight east then went west towards home.......low as all get out.  I think this one was black with some orange or red in it too.

Lots of times they are looking for dope.  This must be close to harvest time when it gives off an easily identifiable heat signature.  

Edited by wolc123

12 hours ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

That is crazy, I thought NY was getting too much rain everywhere. My guess was wrong. I over seeded a 1/2 acre soybean plot with winter wheat yesterday. and to my surprise we got 2/3 of en inch rain last night. PErfect, hope the rain did its magic quick, because the turkeys picked most of my overseeded fall blend off the ground a few weeks back. Dont think my brassicas are gonna make it through the damp soil spell. If i can, ill try and put some urea down in hopes but, i dont think it will help. 

On 8/29/2018 at 7:21 PM, Lawdwaz said:

No permit needed but you have to bury them (they don't say how deep).  The first one (from a box trap) is now napping a foot under.  It was tough digging after the long drought this summer.  It looks like a bigger one (likely his momma) busted out of another box trap on the other end of the corn plot, so I moved a dog-proof to that location.   It will be interesting to see what tomorrow morning brings.  The second day after the traps are set is usually the best.   I placed the repaired, and re-baited box trap directly over the grave of the one from last night.  Hopefully another will return to look for their lost sibling.   They really are hitting the corn hard now.  I hope I can stay ahead of them.   Super healthy looking and very strong, so the rabies medicine must be working.   

On 8/30/2018 at 7:55 AM, LET EM GROW said:

Its all a light downhill slope so it runs off, but i have underground springs and the water just sets and it stays muddy until it begins to dry out some.  Last year too dry, this year too wet lol. 

My second food area is lighter soils and bone dry again. I  dug some new potatoes this morning; pretty dry in the hills. Funny how some areas in New York are wet, with others so dry. I believe other areas south of me in Northern Erie County are dry.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter