Fall Food Plots

Need some input if its to early to plant a fall plot , My ground is all ready worked up . I am looking to plant Winter oats and Fall annual blend of seeds. Worried that it might come up to early and be gone by October

As for oats and other cereal grains, most regions of NY, your looking at last week of August, First week of September. It would  leave them at there most palatable and preferred stage for bow season. 

As for your annual fall blends, Im guessing your talking brassicas and bulbs/tubers? You can plant now, Some guys plant mid July, Some plant Mid August, all depend son your average first frost, you want to leave your self atleast 45 days, preferrably 60 days or more to get some decent bulb/tuber gowth for winter food... Mine went in last week because that was about my only chance for a while. but I shoot for First week of August for brassica and bulb plantings. 

• Like 1

I plan to put in wheat in one plot and forage oats in another plot the last week of August

I plowed up two appx 2 acre strips last weekend and will be getting it disced as soon as it dries out a few days...

Like Let Em Grow said, I prefer to plant turnips and radishes about the first of August, but I am not putting any in this year..

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 1

Yup, brassicas now. I planted WI tall tine turnips and winter greens last weekend. Also overseed some radishes into a no plow plot. End of August I'll overseed a soybean plot with some cereal grains. Plant a plot of oats with some peas for good measure. Have some leftover turnips and greens seed to plant this weekend as I prepped another 1/2 acre. Got to entice some of Let Em Grows deer over the hill...

IMG_20180729_164019024.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, DDT said:

Yup, brassicas now. I planted WI tall tine turnips and winter greens last weekend. Also overseed some radishes into a no plow plot. End of August I'll overseed a soybean plot with some cereal grains. Plant a plot of oats with some peas for good measure. Have some leftover turnips and greens seed to plant this weekend as I prepped another 1/2 acre. Got to entice some of Let Em Grows deer over the hill...

IMG_20180729_164019024.jpg

Nicely done! lol Im going to try and get to that property in the next week to do get some food over there. It wont be pretty, but if I can find an hour or two, i will try a little something something and hope the rain will work with me some lol. No extra time this summer. 

• 3 weeks later...

Farmer plant red clover as a winter cover on ag crops.  You could plant that with oats.

What's the long term plans for the plot?   Will you plant 2 or 3 different crops a year?  Or want to do major work once a year, or minor work a few times a year for several years, then kill, till, and replant?

What are the deer interested in elsewhere in the area?

Any prefered time of year you like to hunt?