This whole issue with 3d gun printing

moog5050

24 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

You can already buy receiver parts to make a serial number free gun. unfinished AR and AK sheetmetal

I have 2 Mausers with no numbers, and actual made one up so I could take one on a hunt so I could get a customs form; used the licence plate off my old truck. LOL

There are plans on line already for machined ways to make a firearm and its perfectly legal to do so, but you cannot become a manufacturer and sell them. Go to 'Home Shop Machinist' a recognized national magazine in multiple detailed instructions. There is a sizeable group that do these.

Criminals are just going to buy access to a street corner gun and not buy a 3D printer or a milling machine. Why?

Its stupid easy to get a handgun in any city for stupid cheap.

I get what your saying moog, but you are thinking as a rational law abiding citizen.  dinsdale nailed it on the head, criminals are going to take the easiest path. Steal a gun file off the numbers and be done with it.

Think about it for a minute, 3-d printers have been out for awhile and if criminals thought it would benefit them making guns heck they would have been doing it long before now. I am sure they could have stolen planes or had a computer savvy  hacker make them up for them..  

Edited by rob-c

8 minutes ago, rob-c said:

I get what your saying moog, but you are thinking as a rational law abiding citizen.  dinsdale nailed it on the head, criminals are going to take the easiest path. Steal a gun file off the numbers and be done with it.

Think about it for a minute, 3-d printers have been out for awhile and if criminals thought it would benefit them making guns heck they would have been doing long before now. I am sure they could have stolen planes or had a computer savvy   hacker make them up for them..  

You may very well be right.  I am still trying to figure out who would use this technology.  I really don't see the average law abiding citizen spending that money on a printer to make a gun that frankly doesn't compare to one that could be purchased. for less.  Maybe Jerkman is right.  Some would do it just to say they have built their own gun.   Perhaps it is blown out of proportion.  I think its more of what it could lead to down the road that bothers me.

Hate to burst the fake news bubble, but it's been perfectly legal to craft a homemade firearm since our country was born.  Even the more recently popular 80% lowers are legal.  To require homemade firearms to be regulated would give government the ultimate power to disarm its citizens.  Personally, I could never support that.

The reality is that the gun-grabbing liberals don't want to admit their utter failures in Democrat stronghold cities like Chicago, Baltimore, etc.  Their restrictive gun control laws haven't curbed any of the gang violence!  Gangs easily buy cheap guns without any need to try manufacturing them.  That juice just isn't worth the squeeze.  

Furthermore, all of this noise is a merely an attempt to smokescreen the real WIN from the 3D printing settlement: The DOJ admits that semi-automatic rifles including the AR-15 are NOT INHERENTLY MILITARY WEAPONS!  Put that in your gun-grabbing pipe and smoke it!!  You can bet your sweet a$$ this admission will be argued in future 2A cases that go before SCOTUS.

• Like 7

41 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

You may very well be right.  I am still trying to figure out who would use this technology.  I really don't see the average law abiding citizen spending that money on a printer to make a gun that frankly doesn't compare to one that could be purchased. for less.  Maybe Jerkman is right.  Some would do it just to say they have built their own gun.   Perhaps it is blown out of proportion.  I think its more of what it could lead to down the road that bothers me.

Well , you just nailed it on the head. any technology could be used for unlawful  acts if the person or persons really wanted too.. 

• Like 2

I could look at it as if I ever get in a gunfight I would hope the criminal had a plastic printed gun and I have my Glock. We will see who come out better!!

I think our government makes available a lot of things they should not that scare me a heck of a lot more than these printed guns. You make one and do not serialize it and make it legal then it is a felony.

I get more worried about our country letting foreign companies buy US based companies just to get access to information we should not be sharing or access to things that could kill us. Think China and the biggest pork producer in the states......or military contracts....

• Like 1

Its all hype started by this company to get free PR for there 3d  business 

But in reality if your doing stuff like 3d printing of gun parts using the internet that can easily  be traced to  whos making them .  Its not any better for criminals then just getting the guns from the streets in my opinion. 

And lets face it any  craftsman who has knowledge of metal can make a gun and were doing it way  before there ever was 3d printing .

The plans have been around for over 100 years nothing new. 

There are literally hundreds of books on the  subject of gun making .

In Pakistan they  make ak47 with hand files .

Those are really untraceable guns .

Downloading plans on the internet leaves a digital trail .

This technology really does not make it better or easier .

Plus the quality and reliability of something like that is not going to be the same as a real gun you buy in a store made in  a factory.

Its All just hype 

Edited by Storm914

7 hours ago, moog5050 said:

I think it would be your technology geek playing around with 3d guns .

I think criminals and others would look elsewhere or anyone who values there own life would probably not trust it to a homemade gun like that .

Quality reliability is not  going to be  like a real gun.

Edited by Storm914

Problem with this, as Moog asked is - the printed term that's used for this process. Lot of anti-gun people are waving their arms thinking this can be done with a simple PC and your desktop printer. NOT the case! It's a refinement of the decades old stereo lithography technique to make a "touchy-feely" prototype w/o investing in tooling $$. Process hasn't changed much other than gotten cheaper to invest in and materials have vastly improved. Biggest misconception is that all a person needs to do is input a blueprint file and out pops a functioning 9mm handgun, less the ammo......

Edited by nyslowhand

5 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

Problem with this, as Moog asked is - the printed term that's used for this process. Lot of anti-gun people are waving their arms thinking this can be done with a simple PC and your desktop printer. NOT the case! It's a refinement of the decades old stereo lithography technique to make a "touchy-feely" prototype w/o investing in tooling $$. Process hasn't changed much other than gotten cheaper to invest in and materials have vastly improved. Biggest misconception is that all a person needs to do is input a blueprint file and out pops a functioning 9mm handgun, less the ammo......

Yes first off you have to have knowledge of blueprints  how to read them how to use the programs how to assemble the parts . And probably even refine the parts because usually from what i have seen the finish on 3d parts is not that good .

The media giving people the idea you just press a button and automatically comes out a fully factional ar 15 with bullets all ready to go to the range lol

But what you are going to get is a bunch of simi finshed parts that still need to be worked on.  Its really not more easy then doing it with other methods . Which most people are not going to be able to do either .  A lazy scumbag criminal probably not going to bother learning all that and just go buy or steal one on the streets  just much easier for them . Lets face it .

If some one wants  to break the law there going to break the law you can kill someone with a pencil,  Should we ban pencils ?

Besides its free speech issue people have the right to publish any book they like .

Anyone can just go to your local library or bookstore and find books on gun, gunsmithing and fabrication and do the same anyway.  Its nothing new .

Edited by Storm914
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

The original Liberator pistol, same concept .

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FP-45_Liberator

Its nothing new anyone remember the Anarchist Cookbook .

This 3d  company just trying to get some attention. And the media and these dumb politicians as well . 

Edited by Storm914

13 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

OK, so I had a few hours last night and fabricated a quick sub moa rifle out of some old pipe and legos.  Way easier than I thought.  I guess my concerns were unfounded.  Who wants to test it out?

Exactly  when you buy one its been tested you go make one with a 3d printer or any other method. 

By hand there is no guaranty its going to work .

Thats why criminals traditionally just buy them or steal real ones . Much more practical. And safer

Edited by Storm914
  • Like 1

think anyone boasting to something out there like this is just being an anarchist and pain in the ass.  there's limited use for something like a 3D printed gun and none of it is really good. i mean they're less dependable, not as accurate, and in many cases are probably going to get some dumbass or individual around them hurt or dead from the gun failing.  i don't think you can prevent the information from getting out there but shouldn't just let it be out there in mass either.  equipment and software isn't that expensive and unobtainable. i know somebody that literally bought one and prints all kinds of stuff including firearm grips now. i still believe our first line of defense in places like court rooms, certain buildings, events, theme parks, and schools is a metal detector.  larry posted in the other thread that security isn't perfect but why make it worse with undetectable guns.  also crime with a gun is usually done with a stolen gun. i've known law enforcement to look to traceable things like serial numbers to figure out where the hell guns used in crimes came from.

before some overly sensitive person on her calls me a Benedict Arnold of the constitution, i fully believe a law abiding individual should have the right to own any weapon at the governments dissposal. it's understood that you'd have to give up some privacy and jump through some hoops to ensure public safety.  i don't take the idea of handing over a tank, SAW, or 50 cal mounted to a humvee to anyone lightly. shoot me down or stand with me but my opinion is just that and therefore not wrong.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

OK, so I had a few hours last night and fabricated a quick sub moa rifle out of some old pipe and legos.  Way easier than I thought.  I guess my concerns were unfounded.  Who wants to test it out?

did you use generic or the real deal Legos? quality in materials could very well bite you in the ass.

7 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

did you use generic or the real deal Legos? quality in materials could very well bite you in the ass.

To save some money, I used generic on most of the gun, but the receiver is made of real legos so it should be fine

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

Problem with this, as Moog asked is - the printed term that's used for this process. Lot of anti-gun people are waving their arms thinking this can be done with a simple PC and your desktop printer. NOT the case! 

Just "printed" out my first!

Watch for it in the classifieds soon,lol!

printergun.thumb.jpg.92759031425e27a3dada3afdcded76b9.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

To save some money, I used generic on most of the gun, but the receiver is made of real legos so it should be fine

so your receiver face is probably true but i think you should've used erector set pieces for the barrel.  the heat is gonna kill ya during rapid courses of fire.

7 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

so your receiver face is probably true but i think you should've used erector set pieces for the barrel.  the heat is gonna kill ya during rapid courses of fire.

I am not that skilled.  Its a single shot.  Full auto would require a complete weekend to fab.

Reminds me a lot of the insanity over drones a few years ago and how we were just one careless person away from downing an airliner.

Tons of misinformation. Most 3D printers use plastic, which sucks for making gun parts. It can make a lower, yes, but you can make a better one from an 80% polymer lower. Any truly usable gun still has metal parts. All this really has done is change a very tiny amount of milling skill work (and you can use a drill press anyway) into making a person setup a 3D printer. I'd say both are about equal difficulty and similar setup costs. 

I know the news wants to portray us now as capable of buying a printer on amazon and a few hours later we have an untraceable home made 911 but that's all hogwash. 

Edited by Core