This whole issue with 3d gun printing

moog5050

11 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I am not that skilled.  Its a single shot.  Full auto would require a complete weekend to fab.

if you're skipping semi-auto and going for a full-auto build you'll have to consult the guy on the internet that made the full auto crossbow from wood and other things.  i'd let him do the testing though. in one of his videos he almost killed himself by taking a ball bearing to the head testing another toy of his.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Storm914 said:

Yes first off you have to have knowledge of blueprints  how to read them how to use the programs how to assemble the parts . And probably even refine the parts because usually from what i have seen the finish on 3d parts is not that good .

The media giving people the idea you just press a button and automatically comes out a fully factional ar 15 with bullets all ready to go to the range lol

But what you are going to get is a bunch of simi finshed parts that still need to be worked on.  Its really not more easy then doing it with other methods . Which most people are not going to be able to do either .  A lazy scumbag criminal probably not going to bother learning all that and just go buy or steal one on the streets  just much easier for them . Lets face it .

If some one wants  to break the law there going to break the law you can kill someone with a pencil,  Should we ban pencils ?

Besides its free speech issue people have the right to publish any book they like .

Anyone can just go to your local library or bookstore and find books on gun, gunsmithing and fabrication and do the same anyway.  Its nothing new .

Actually 3D printers are relatively cheap and easy to use. Just takes a little time to learn the software. When my buddy bought his, it took him about 3 days to figure it out. The internet is full of files that you simply download and import into the printing software, then hit the print button and there you go. Those are the "documents" that they are making a big deal about.

All you have to know is CAD and you can design your own parts and print them out. If you get to know CAD and can take accurate measurements, you can replicate pretty much whatever parts and pieces you want.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

think anyone boasting to something out there like this is just being an anarchist and pain in the ass.  there's limited use for something like a 3D printed gun and none of it is really good. i mean they're less dependable, not as accurate, and in many cases are probably going to get some dumbass or individual around them hurt or dead from the gun failing.  i don't think you can prevent the information from getting out there but shouldn't just let it be out there in mass either.  equipment and software isn't that expensive and unobtainable. i know somebody that literally bought one and prints all kinds of stuff including firearm grips now. i still believe our first line of defense in places like court rooms, certain buildings, events, theme parks, and schools is a metal detector.  larry posted in the other thread that security isn't perfect but why make it worse with undetectable guns.  also crime with a gun is usually done with a stolen gun. i've known law enforcement to look to traceable things like serial numbers to figure out where the hell guns used in crimes came from.

before some overly sensitive person on her calls me a Benedict Arnold of the constitution, i fully believe a law abiding individual should have the right to own any weapon at the governments dissposal. it's understood that you'd have to give up some privacy and jump through some hoops to ensure public safety.  i don't take the idea of handing over a tank, SAW, or 50 cal mounted to a humvee to anyone lightly. shoot me down or stand with me but my opinion is just that and therefore not wrong.

But they can track 3d guns  you are leaving a digital trail some would argue it makes it even easier to catch a criminal using a 3d printer to make guns anything connected to the internet can be tracked  or traced . As soon as you hook your  3d printer up to the internet everything you print on it can be seen 

Edited by Storm914

7 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

But they can track 3d guns  you are leaving a digital trail some would argue it makes it even easier to catch a criminal using a 3d printer anything connected to the internet can be track or traced . 

doesn't have to be connected to the internet. my friends is done off his laptop that's blue-toothed to the printer.  he can easily have something like specs burned to a CD and throw the CD into the in disk drive. boot legged copies of software wouldn't be updated and connected to the web.

37 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

think anyone boasting to something out there like this is just being an anarchist and pain in the ass.  there's limited use for something like a 3D printed gun and none of it is really good. i mean they're less dependable, not as accurate, and in many cases are probably going to get some dumbass or individual around them hurt or dead from the gun failing.  i don't think you can prevent the information from getting out there but shouldn't just let it be out there in mass either.  equipment and software isn't that expensive and unobtainable. i know somebody that literally bought one and prints all kinds of stuff including firearm grips now. i still believe our first line of defense in places like court rooms, certain buildings, events, theme parks, and schools is a metal detector.  larry posted in the other thread that security isn't perfect but why make it worse with undetectable guns.  also crime with a gun is usually done with a stolen gun. i've known law enforcement to look to traceable things like serial numbers to figure out where the hell guns used in crimes came from.

before some overly sensitive person on her calls me a Benedict Arnold of the constitution, i fully believe a law abiding individual should have the right to own any weapon at the governments dissposal. it's understood that you'd have to give up some privacy and jump through some hoops to ensure public safety.  i don't take the idea of handing over a tank, SAW, or 50 cal mounted to a humvee to anyone lightly. shoot me down or stand with me but my opinion is just that and therefore not wrong.

The guns arent undetectable. To make them work, you need metal, primarily for the firing pin. Ammo is also metal, and theres no way around it. People need to stop drinking the media koolaid.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

But they can track 3d guns  you are leaving a digital trail some would argue it makes it even easier to catch a criminal using a 3d printer to make guns anything connected to the internet can be tracked  or traced . As soon as you hook your  3d printer up to the internet everything you print on it can be seen 

You are incorrect in many ways with that comment.

7 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

doesn't have to be connected to the internet. my friends is done off his laptop that's blue-toothed to the printer.  he can easily have something like specs burned to a CD and throw the CD into the in disk drive. boot legged copies of software wouldn't be updated and connected to the web.

But the labtop ? You never hook that up to the internet its going to leave records so even if you dont hook up the printer with the laptop at the same time as soon as you do what ever your laptop was doing will show .

10 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

The guns arent undetectable. To make them work, you need metal, primarily for the firing pin. Ammo is also metal, and theres no way around it. People need to stop drinking the media koolaid.

Dont forget the steel  rifled barrel.  Your not going to 3d that .

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

But the labtop ? You never hook that up to the internet its going to leave records so even if you dont hook up the printer with the laptop at the same time as soon as you do what ever your laptop was doing will show .

There are ways around leaving a trail on the internet. I work in IT security, its not as hard as most people think.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

The printer doesn't ever have to be online ,it's plenty easy enough to save on a flash drive .

7 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

You can get a shot or two out of a plastic one before it melts. Its not going to be accurate, but would be good enough for one up close and personal shot. Regardless, the crap about them being "undetectable" that the media idiots keep thumping is 100% BS.

8 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Except for the people who have the ability to use metal in their printer ,it's still new technology but a lot of businesses are already doing it.

10 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

There are ways around leaving a trail on the internet. I work in IT security, its not as hard as most people think.

Still another skill set that someone has to learn dont think most criminals are exactly rocket scientists lol 

I think people's concerns are over nothing .  

Edited by Storm914
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

You can get a shot or two out of a plastic one before it melts. Its not going to be accurate, but would be good enough for one up close and personal shot. Regardless, the crap about them being "undetectable" that the media idiots keep thumping is 100% BS.

Well im not going to be the one to hold one and pull the trigger i like my fingers thank you lol melt? the barrel probably blowup . And take parts of your hand with it . Maybe that company should sell  3d print prosthetic fingers and hands with there gun plans someone going to need them im sure lol

Edited by Storm914

15 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Except for the people who have the ability to use metal in their printer ,it's still new technology but a lot of businesses are already doing it.

Its not hardened steel, they use aluminum. It comes out like pot metal basically. Not very strong or durable.

16 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Still another skill set that someone has to learn dont think most criminals are exactly rocket scientists lol 

I think people's concerns are over nothing .  

Think what you will, but I could show anyone with basic computer skills how to do it in about 30 mins or less.

7 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

many days i walk through "metal detectors" of some kind when i roll into government facilities.  certain ones are more sensitive or scan differently than others. a regular polymer framed pistol would go off. a 3D printed plastic gun with just a couple springs and metal firing pin wouldn't for some of them i'm sure based on what i can walk through wearing. "ammo" isn't always detected either when you think outside a traditional deer hunting cartridge with brass case.

not saying i'm really that worried or that it's going to lead to a large scale terrorist attack or whatever. if there's a will there's a way. no need to pave the road and make it easier.  the firearms industry has strict standards for all kinds of reasons.  i won't drink koolaid and stick to using real guns.

13 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Well im not going to be the one to hold one and pull the trigger i like my fingers thank you lol melt? the barrel probably blowup . And take parts of your hand with it .

We arent talking about super high pressures here, were talking something like a 22lr coming out of a 2 or 3 inch barrel.

9 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

many days i walk through "metal detectors" of some kind when i roll into government facilities.  certain ones are more sensitive or scan differently than others. a regular polymer framed pistol would go off. a 3D printed plastic gun with just a couple springs and metal firing pin wouldn't for some of them i'm sure based on what i can walk through wearing. "ammo" isn't always detected either when you think outside a traditional deer hunting cartridge with brass case.

not saying i'm really that worried or that it's going to lead to a large scale terrorist attack or whatever. if there's a will there's a way. no need to pave the road and make it easier.  the firearms industry has strict standards for all kinds of reasons.  i won't drink koolaid and stick to using real guns.

Then they need better metal detectors lol

13 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

We arent talking about super high pressures here, were talking something like a 22lr coming out of a 2 or 3 inch barrel.

Yea  i saw that on the news im skeptical even 22 short has a psi of 18,000  he probably used metal barrel inside of the plastic  .

Edited by Storm914

7 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Then they need better metal detectors lol

oh trust me they're high end. it's an R&D training facility for the military.  sensitivity gets turned down when so many have to take off belts, glasses, or contractors have to remove their steel toe boots. i've spent 20 minutes with security making me walk through the metal detector over and over a couple days (dick security guard). once they wanded me the other they just had me walk through another metal detector that was turned down for contractors.