This whole issue with 3d gun printing

moog5050

14 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Let us not forget John Wick Killed a man with a cocktail parasol

You Can't Beat My Meat!!!

if there was someone with john wick intentions would you feel any better letting them have a plastic guns? haha  granted it'd be nice to have coaching from taran butler but keanu reeves was doing pretty good on a 3-gun course prepping for the movie.

1 hour ago, wooly said:

Just "printed" out my first!

Watch for it in the classifieds soon,lol!

printergun.thumb.jpg.92759031425e27a3dada3afdcded76b9.jpg

That's freaking hilarious!

Wooly, I have the exact same printer as you. I've wanted an AR-10 for a while now, can you email me one? Do I just cut and paste quad rails and such? Suppressors come in a .pdf file though, right? That pic ought to go viral.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Yea  i saw that on the news im skeptical even 22 short has a psi of 18,000  he probably used metal liner of some kind 

Im not sure what there is to be skeptical about, there are more videos out there showing similar things. It is what it is.

The problem with the whole situation though, is that the media is making it out like these are reusable guns that someone could commit mass murder with, and that they are completely undetectable. None of that is true.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Im not sure what there is to be skeptical about, there are more videos out there showing similar things. It is what it is.

The problem with the whole situation though, is that the media is making it out like these are reusable guns that someone could commit mass murder with, and that they are completely undetectable. None of that is true.

Didn't realize they were one and done.  That limits the use of these types of gun.  Now if an inexpensive metal printer came out, it may be more of a concern.

19 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

if there was someone with john wick intentions would you feel any better letting them have a plastic guns? haha  granted it'd be nice to have coaching from taran butler but keanu reeves was doing pretty good on a 3-gun course prepping for the movie.

Think of the movies Reeves has done. That guy has spent some time training with all types of guns. Ive seen footage of him on different shooting courses, the guy has some skills.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Didn't realize they were one and done.  That limits the use of these types of gun.  Now if an inexpensive metal printer came out, it may be more of a concern.

Not really. Currently 3D metal printers use soft aluminum, the pieces come out like old school pot metal. The polymer pieces are probably more durable.

Definitely. Because after he shot me he can then kick my ass with the melted plastic that's left over

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Well let me put it to you this way a gun that breaks after 1 or  2 shots means  it may break or blowup the first time you use it . Thats why real guns are made many many times stronger then they need to be .

Its a safety issue that every engineer and designer follows.

You would not build a bridge with the bare minimum material that would keep it up would you .

So why risk it with a gun ?

Edited by Storm914

48 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Not really. Currently 3D metal printers use soft aluminum, the pieces come out like old school pot metal. The polymer pieces are probably more durable.

They have printers that can print with inconel currently 

14 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

My knowledge of machine tools is limited but what is the difference between a printer and CNC machine.  Does one need more input on the CNC?  I assumed both rely on a program and simply build based on the program input.

A CNC machine removes material from a solid block of material . A CNC printer adds material in thin layers to build a part from nothing . 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

A CNC machine removes material from a solid block of material . A CNC printer adds material in thin layers to build a part from nothing . 

Interesting.  I didn't realize the printer builds it up vs removing material.  Is the level of user input the same?  In other words, with the right program, could I without any real knowledge but the right program build a receive in either?

6 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Interesting.  I didn't realize the printer builds it up vs removing material.  Is the level of user input the same?  In other words, with the right program, could I without any real knowledge but the right program build a receive in either?

Sure. The parts you would get from a CNC can be made out of hardened materials though, unlike a printer.

16 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

They have had  table top cnc machines for over 10 years already that are pretty cheep can mill parts with real steel that can make any part you like just about now how many criminals have made there guns with those ? 0 that i know  of . Its all hype  depending if you want to put the machine together yourself or get a turnkey one they  cost between few hundred to a few thousand.  They have been around for over 10 15 years already .

This 3d company is trying to reinvent the wheel basically. 

Edited by Storm914

13 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

You can use the same CAD program to generate a tool path for a mill or a printer ,the difference comes when you select the tool path file to save as . The genius part of 3d printing is that a feature that is currently solid to add strength can now be made hollow or like a honey comb inside to still achieve the same strength as a solid but lighter weight.

12 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

They have had  table top cnc machines for over 10 years already that are pretty cheep can mill parts with real steel that can make any part you like just about now how many criminals have made there guns with those ? 0 that i know  of . Its all hype 

A half way decent machinist could build any of those part with just a manual mill , those have been available to the public for who knows how long.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

A half way decent machinist could build any of those part with just a manual mill , those have been available to the public for who knows how long.

Actually there are guys that can cut out most metal parts with just a angle grinder if you look on youtube .

Get a few measuring calibers and have a sample part and your in business. 

The reason this never became the norm  for criminals is in most parts of the world  it  is  really easy to get real guns for them to use. 

Edited by Storm914

10 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

You can use the same CAD program to generate a tool path for a mill or a printer ,the difference comes when you select the tool path file to save as . The genius part of 3d printing is that a feature that is currently solid to add strength can now be made hollow or like a honey comb inside to still achieve the same strength as a solid but lighter weight.

I represented a manufacturer about 8 years ago that bought I think a 3 axis lathe to manufacturer receivers for Mossberg or Remington, I forget.  It never worked right and we won a judgment approaching $1mm.  Put the machine manufacturer out of business.  Last I heard, that machine was just a big paperweight.  I actually understood that stuff at the time.  Our expert was a guy out your way Jeremy that worked for or with moog - Brian Argauer (smart dude as he was even able to teach me).

I represented a manufacturer about 8 years ago that bought I think a 3 axis lathe to manufacturer receivers for Mossberg or Remington, I forget.  It never worked right and we won a judgment approaching $1mm.  Put the machine manufacturer out of business.  Last I heard, that machine was just a big paperweight.  I actually understood that stuff at the time.  Our expert was a guy out your way Jeremy that worked for or with moog - Brian Argauer (smart dude as he was even able to teach me).
That's a nice fat payday for the Moogs!

13 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Actually there are guys that can cut out most metal parts with just a angle grinder if you look on youtube .

Get a few measuring calibers and have a sample part and your in business. 

The reason this never became the norm  for criminals is in most parts of the world  it  is  really easy to get real guns for them to use. 

I watched a couple videos of guys finishing those 80 percent receivers, it was a kit or something so that guys could use a typical drill press and some jigs to finish the work that was needed , I cringed for more then half of it ,watching them plow drills in and seeing the drill deflecting and screaming for mercy ,LOL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I watched a couple videos of guys finishing those 80 percent receivers, it was a kit or something so that guys could use a typical drill press and some jigs to finish the work that was needed , I cringed for more then half of it ,watching them plow drills in and seeing the drill deflecting and screaming for mercy ,LOL.

Its just like any other task you do some in the know do things themselves  around the house and others hire a craftsman to fix things .

Only the guys that are good with there hands will play around with dyi  guns most people criminals included will find it much easier to buy a gun in  the market it is  flooded with them more guns then people in this country. I guess the point of what that company is trying to make is even if you ban all guns people will still be able to get them .   The knowledge is already out there .

Edited by Storm914

You need the right jig, having a drill powerful enough and also the right bits definitely would help