Corned venison

crappyice

So I have 2 small venison leg roasts (totally 3 pounds or so) swimming in corning brine. They should be ready tomorrow to boil, but what if I don’t want to finish them this weekend? Can I freeze it after the brine but before the boil? Should I boil it off then freeze?

I was thinking of freezing it before I boil WITH some of the brine liquid in a zip top bag-trying to replicate what corn beef looks like prior to boiling in St paddy’s day.

Advice???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s a good question....if it were me, I would boil it off now and then freeze it.  It only takes an hour or so to finish it off. 

But if you really don’t have the time to do it this weekend, I think you would be ok to freeze it with a little brine in it.  It might come out a little saltier.  

That’s a good question....if it were me, I would boil it off now and then freeze it.  It only takes an hour or so to finish it off. 
 But if you really don’t have the time to do it this weekend, I think you would be ok to freeze it with a little brine in it.  It might come out a little saltier.  

Thanks...what I read about regular corned beef would be to remove all the brine liquid (would get too salty as you mention) and double wrap in tight plastic(vacuum seal better but not an option for me...yet-please Santa!?!?) and freeze would be good for months even though I juts need weeks.

I used to keep venison sirloin tip roasts for corning every year...I would cook them up for St. Patty's Day ( my birthday)...
They turned out great, but I never froze them after corning... Good luck....

Thanks...pretty good day for a birthday- I hear they throw you a pretty strong parade every year in NYC. That’s what my sister says at least since that’s her big day too.
Maybe your name should be leprechaun instead...

• Like 1

I've read it's not recommend to freeze corned beef for very long as the salt in the brine wouldn't allow it to freeze at the same temp as a non brined piece of meat.  Haven't tested this theory, but it makes sense. 

• Like 1