Acorns dropping now?

OldNewbie

Noticed new acorns on the ground under the red oak in my back yard just now. The 'bodies' are undersized relative to the 'cap' and are forest green, not brown color.  Is it normal to see some dropping in early August? 

Edited by OldNewbie

Yes it does happen. Saw a few red oak acorns on the ground this week too. The tree is loaded this year. Haven't been up to our oak ridge yet. Hoping for a bounty there this year! Last year was a sparse year. The more acorns on that ridge, the more deer we will see during bow season.

• Like 1

I have squirrels on my property dropping acorns the last few days.  Normally they're dropping hickory nuts (not Shagbark) by mid-August.  I've seen apples dropping also in a couple of places.  By August 15, there's the start of a very noticeable change in the outdoors......most of you will know what I mean.

2 hours ago, G-Man said:

if they are dropping now there are 3 causes

drought, or they have a bug in them a tree will shed itself of insect infected nuts early,or squirrels and other critters are knocking them down

Well we can rule out drought. Rainiest July on record here (near Elmira). Lots of squirrels around  for sure.

• Like 1

My red oaks in my yard drop constantly.  It's like walking on marbles.  First pea sized, then gradually getting bigger with fully mature nuts.  We can't park under them when the nuts get big. Had a 6 month old Jeep damaged in 5 days when we left it parked there while on vacation.  Ins co refused to pay, saying there were no recorded hail storms in our area, and no way did acorns do that. 

Fought with them for 3 months. Then dropped them.  

Red and white oak trees have been dropping immature nuts here since 4th of July. Most likely because of the droughts conditions we have been experiencing. Not many, that I see left on the trees. The shag bark hickories  have been dropping for 2 weeks and what's there look fully mature.Maybe enough to feed the squirrels.  Beech trees never have many. Walnuts did well, as they seem to do every year. Not many wild apples.This should be the on year for them too. Good weather when they were in blossom, but didn't set fruit. One Quince apple tree has a few.

apples are spotty some are loaded some are bare.. makes for better hunting as well. oaks are the same some loaded some bare. havent checked hickorys beech were heavy last year so iexpect they will be sparce this year as well

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2018 at 7:38 PM, Billdogge said:

Crabapples are good here to but my apple trees and ones I drive by daily don’t have much if any. Anyone else having lack of apples. 

I have apples on the ground. Doesn't look like a big crop this year.