Ithaca Model 37 12ga

I've got this in 16 and 12 gauge. Had em since the 70s. Taken a pile of critters from grouse and partridge, to squirrels, turkeys and deer with Model 37s. Though mine show some wear, they function and shoot just as well now, as the day I bought them.

This one for sale, is a beautiful example, of a superb all around shotgun!

I used to take a truckload of guns to the range for sight-in every couple of weeks for my gunsmith friend. There was nothing that stopped me from doing my job, but a stack of Ithaca 37's always tightened things up a bit. :rolleyes:

My buddy shot a Rem 1100 and asked why I didn't want to play with the Ithaca beyond the necessary sight-in. I handed it to him and he touched one off. He was a Navy guy who had fired 16" cannons from a battleship, and he said , "WOW."

The sight-in and practice at the bench might bruise you up a little, but you'll never remember any of it when the deer is on the ground. It's a great gun and about as solid and reliable as anything ever made. A friend carried one in Viet Nam in the late 60's because it worked. Always. Just sayin'.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

That shotgun was high state of the art in western NY when I began hunting in the early 1960s, along with the Winchester M12, the Rem 870 Wingmaster and the Browning A 5...  Sweet, Larry....

I would argue that it's still state of the art. When you can pull a gun out of the swamp muck, tip the barrel down for drainage, and then snap it up to shoot a duck, it's a pretty darn good gun.

• Like 2

I may have built a few of the parts on your Ithaca. I worked there as a milling machine operator prior to my military service for about a year 1970-71. My starting hourly wage was $2.08 with $.08 shift differential. Most of my labor was piece work, so the goal was to make a lot more. And yes, those were union shop wages.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Bigfoot 327 said:

I may have built a few of the parts on your Ithaca. I worked there as a milling machine operator prior to my military service for about a year 1970-71. My starting hourly wage was $2.08 with $.08 shift differential. Most of my labor was piece work, so the goal was to make a lot more. And yes, those were union shop wages.

You helped to make some some great guns. Thank you.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...