223 and Boar

What Culver said...

Just be sure to use a tough bullet designed to hold together and penetrate, like a Nosler partition or accubond, or my personal favorite, the barnes X bullet...

Avois the highly frangible bullets designed for varmints..

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I don’t know where you’re heading but from my experience in SC, GA and Florida unless you’re hunting on a ranch with feeders most hogs are under 100lbs. Doesn’t take much fun to kill a 100lb hog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's why I asked my first question. These southern wild pigs are not like their Russian cousins. My boss went on a helicopter hog hunt in Texas last year. it was all Ar's in 5.56. I can't even tell you how many his tape has him shooting. 

41 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

That's why I asked my first question. These southern wild pigs are not like their Russian cousins. My boss went on a helicopter hog hunt in Texas last year. it was all Ar's in 5.56. I can't even tell you how many his tape has him shooting. 

Can you post up the tape of his hunt? I can't get enough of that stuff.

The .223 will be fine if a good penetrating bullet is used.  Heavy bullets are best, that is if the rifling twist rate in your AR is fast enough to handle them.  The heavier bullets aren't accurate if the twist rate isn't fast enough.  I've heard the Federal Fusion ammo works well in the AR for pigs too.  Excellent weight retention.