Wild Berry Bushes

Something that's not discussed here much. We  have quite a few wild ones, both red and black.   They play a vital role in nature. Birds and insects both feeding on them and using them for cover. There are quite a few for a dry year, we had here. Don't mind if I do, LOL. I had a Monarch butterfly flying around me, as if it was scolding me for taking the goodness. 

fruit and veggies 004.JPG

• Like 7

ours weren't doing well with the drought but now they're cranking out berries with no end in sight. i usually make paths to some where i can and clean out the weed competition with the belly mower or brush hog.  definitely preferred browse for the kids and wildlife.  keeping them opened up with competition seems to keep them lower to the ground and accessible.

On 8/7/2018 at 11:03 AM, WNYBuckHunter said:

Our blackberry bushes have been cleaned out for weeks. We did have a ton of black berries, raspberries and currants though.

How close together were the blackberries and raspberries? I read something online about them not being able to survive in close proximity to each other.

For years before I moved into town, I used to take almost daily hikes on the back roads, farm roads and woods roads near my home...I always looked forward to the berry season and would eat handfuls  of them on each walk.. I especially like the blackberries...

1 hour ago, Jeremy K said:

How close together were the blackberries and raspberries? I read something online about them not being able to survive in close proximity to each other.

Made a mistake about 10 years ago planting thornless blackberries next to red raspberries,I now have blackberries that are loaded with thorns and no red raspberries .Read a article about planting berry plants that stated to keep them apart or the will turn out like mine, of course when it was too late.

Went to pick some a few nights ago. Was a little late i think, they looked a little expired.. I have 2 separate clusters of blue berry bushes.. about 5 or 5 mature bushes clustered.. someone snuck in and beat me to the bushes.. picked them clean. Think its time a cell cam to observe the bushes from now on.. 

I love wild berries, love picking em out away from civilization too. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...