Swiss Army Knife

Today we have quality compact multi tools like a Leatherman or Gerber which can literally be a hand held complete tool box,  they can save the day when certain situations arise. To keep on my body I still prefer when hunting or just taking a hike a good old authentic Swiss Army knife specifically the compact fieldmaster which is light, it has the essential tools and is a real in the pocket ease of carry knife-tool.  While I like and own several large multi tools I find them a bit bulky to carry around constantly. For the most part they stay in my vehicle's glove compartment, gun case, fishing tackle box or gear bag at camp and are available if some serious fixing is needed. 

Al

2018-08-08_070320.png

• Like 2

This is my Victorinox Soldier, unfortunately no longer made. I prefer the Alox handled SAKs as they’re built a bit more heavy duty , this one was made in ‘01 . About the only thing I wish it had was the saw . The screw drivers, bottle opener and even the awl do come in handy . That awl makes good starter holes for screw in hooks .

Although when in the woods I tote a multi tool , as between , chainsaws, tree stands , guns, bows,  and so on ,I appreciate the pliers , file and other tools .the Leatherman Wingman is pretty light and has a pocket clip , I often carry that, but not a lot of tools on it as say the Wave .

Both my kids hike and I bought them each a good SAK .They’re a very good bargain , are non threatening and just cool .

And actually I did know most of those ten things !

B7191B62-D328-425C-9D9A-7E4D2DCF2CAA.jpeg

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 2

I got my Victorinox  as a promo gift from The Bank of Boulder  about forty years ago...It has accompanied me on several remote wilderness trips and I still keep it handy at the house and use it often...Excellent, compact , versatile tool...

• Like 2

i used to have one very close to what Al posted. i used it a lot as a kid. i don't remember exactly but i think something happened to it when using it on the farm and it just didn't last. in it's defense i'm sure i was using it beyond it's means.  i don't know if they make different grades of quality but i remember it having darker more maroon handle scales then bright red.

Steve that’s the Tinker , model, I owned two, wore the blade down from sharpening on the first , cut a lot of cardboard when I worked in a factory .

Jeremy , I have a Scrade  LB7 , that sits in the safe after I lost it, then found . So many adventures with that knife I was sick over losing it , so now it only comes out occasionally.

Wenger made one called the "Giant"  A collector's knife today, there is one on Amazon and it is selling for over 8 grand.

The Wenger Giant Knife includes 87 implements for almost any situation: 

2.5-inch 60% serrated locking blade

Nail file

Nail cleaner

Corkscrew

Adjustable pliers with wire crimper and cutter

Removable screwdriver bit adapter

2.5-inch blade for Official World Scout Knife

Spring-loaded, locking needle-nose pliers with wire cutter

Removable screwdiver bit holder

Phillips head screwdriver bit 0 Phillips head screwdriver bit 1

Phillips head screwdriver bit 2

Flat head screwdriver bit 0.5mm x 3.5mm

Flat head screwdriver bit 0.6mm x 4.0mm

Flat head screwdriver bit 1.0mm x 6.5mm

Magnetized recessed bit holder

Double-cut wood saw with ruler

Chain rivet setter

Removable 5mm

Allen wrench

Screwdriver for slotted and Phillips head screws

Removable tool for adjusting spokes

10mm Hexagonal key for nuts

Removable 4mm curved allen wrench with Phillips head screwdriver

Patented locking screwdriver

Universal wrench

2.4-inch springless scissors with serrated self-sharpening design

1.65-inch clip point utility blade

Phillips head screwdriver

2.5-inch clip-point blade

Club face cleaner

2.4-inch round tip blade

Cap lifter

Can opener

Shoe spike wrench

Divot repair tool

4mm Allen wrench

2.5-inch blade

Fine metal file with precision screwdriver

Double-cut wood saw with ruler

Cupped cigar cutter with double honed edges

12/20-gauge choke tube tool

Watch case back opening tool

Snap shackle

Mineral crystal magnifier

Compass

Straight edge, ruler (in./cm)

Telescopic pointer

Fish scaler

Hook dis-gorger

Line guide

Shortix laboratory key

Micro tool holder

Micro tool adapter

Micro scraper, straight

Micro scraper,curved

Laser pointer with 300-foot range

Metal file

Metal saw

Flashlight

Micro tool holder

Phillips head screwdriver 1.5mm

Screwdriver 1.2mm

Screwdriver .8mm

Fine fork for watch spring bars

Reamer

Pin punch 1.2mm

Pin pinch .8mm

Round needle file

Removable tool holder with expandable receptacle

Removable tool holder

Special self-centering screwdriver for gunsights

Flat Phillips head screwdriver

Chisel-point reamer

Mineral crystal magnifier

Small ruler

Extension tool

Sping-loaded, locking flat nose needle-nose pliers

Removable screwdriver bit holder

Phillips head screwdriver bit 0

Phillips head screwdriver bit 1

Phillips head screwdriver bit 2

Flat head screwdriver bit 0.5mm x 3.5mm

Flat head screwdriver bit 0.6mm x 4.0mm

Flat head screwdriver bit 1.0mm x 6.5mm

Magnetized recessed bit holder

Tire tread gauge

Fiber optic tool holder

Can opener

Cap lifter

Wire stripper

Reamer

Awl

Toothpick

Tweezers

Key ring

2018-08-08_091925.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

This is my Victorinox Soldier, unfortunately no longer made. I prefer the Alox handled SAKs as they’re built a bit more heavy duty , this one was made in ‘01 . About the only thing I wish it had was the saw . The screw drivers, bottle opener and even the awl do come in handy . That awl makes good starter holes for screw in hooks .

Although when in the woods I tote a multi tool , as between , chainsaws, tree stands , guns, bows,  and so on ,I appreciate the pliers , file and other tools .the Leatherman Wingman is pretty light and has a pocket clip , I often carry that, but not a lot of tools on it as say the Wave .

Both my kids hike and I bought them each a good SAK .They’re a very good bargain , are non threatening and just cool .

And actually I did know most of those ten things !

B7191B62-D328-425C-9D9A-7E4D2DCF2CAA.jpeg

Yes the Pioneer took it's place.

• Like 1

The Wife years ago gave me a Wenger Swiss Army gift set consisting of a small pen knife and a Watch for my birthday, lost the Watch while training some Coondogs and never knew it at the time. Five years later Son was in the area where it was lost and happened to see a glint in the leaves and found it. The leather strap was roached, I put a new battery in it and it still worked. It was officially retired. The knife sits here in my computer desk and gets used all the time.

Al

001.JPG

• Like 3

I had one as a teen that was given to me, no clue what style or model it was. I lost it years ago. The wife bought me this one a few years ( the one on the left) ago when we did a trip to VT, it's a knock off but you wouldn't think so by the price tag. It's not a POC, and I have used it camping often. Pretty durable actually.

b926ff75a97e8d076dd175780db8822f.jpg

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk