Favorite Big Woods Gun and Caliber

Billdogge

I’ve been a .308 or 06 guy more less, but not for any real ballistic reasons. Mostly just because of ease finding ammo/good deals. Currently carrying a .308 scout gun, but I’ve seriously thought about adding an iron sight .30-30 for fun/tradition/weight. Also occasionally thought about a .300 win mag or wby, but I’d probably wait for a western hunt and swap my 06 for it. More boom than I personally need in the Adks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

My favorite woods cartridge is fast becoming the 450bushmaster the problem has been that there wasn’t a rifle I wanted to tote chambered in it. That changed this year when I had a Remington 7600 rebaralled for the 450 now I have my new favorite cartridge in my favorite gun. Will a deer know the difference between the 450 or 35 Whelen probably not but I have all year to think about this stuff and only a split second to shoot my buck.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

My favorite woods cartridge is fast becoming the 450bushmaster the problem has been that there wasn’t a rifle I wanted to tote chambered in it. That changed this year when I had a Remington 7600 rebaralled for the 450 now I have my new favorite cartridge in my favorite gun. Will a deer know the difference between the 450 or 35 Whelen probably not but I have all year to think about this stuff and only a split second to shoot my buck.

Picked up a 450 myself this year and am looking forward to using it.  Although I live for bow hunting , I'm still a sucker for a new gun now and again.  

rps20180810_120848.jpg

• Like 2

browning abolt 30-06. light with a short throw bolt i've gotten used to working fast.  Remington Woodsmaster 742 just isn't dependable enough for being big woods out in the elements for days. 7600 is dad's gun but i wouldn't hesitate bring that either.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

Remington 7400  06 carbine. Being a big woods Hunter in there adirondacks shots are usually 50 to 100 yards depending. Remington core locks 150 grain. Everybody told me to up it to 180 but haven't had a problem yet.

grew up using green box Cor-lokts in 150gr. I've since switched to Federal Fusions in 150gr. seem to be really good terminal performance. I've also been told to switch to 180gr for big woods and lots of cover. honestly hitting any kind of brush will defect the bullet all the same as both the 150 and 180 have the same profile.  i've used 180s and feel like they punch through more retaining energy (now wasted) after it's left the animal due to the added weight. the 150's i feel dump energy into the animal more but still have undeniably enough to punch to carry through any part of the animal through and through at those ranges.  only reason i'd change is to go to a higher BC for longer range past 300 yards.

• Like 2

Picked up a 450 myself this year and am looking forward to using it.  Although I live for bow hunting , I'm still a sucker for a new gun now and again.  
rps20180810_120848.jpg.8cfa4449fc5a3b4e1ab0ebc255f37e78.jpg

6406bba8157970d6e53786dae0f52cb5.jpg

I have one of them as well, a special run of only 500 left handed. It’s one of my least favorite guns I have ever owned. I hate how the mag isn’t flush, makes it very in comfortable to carry. I can’t stand the flimsy stock. I can’t get over how bad the trigger was, I put a timiney and it really helped.

20 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

6406bba8157970d6e53786dae0f52cb5.jpg

I have one of them as well, a special run of only 500 left handed. It’s one of my least favorite guns I have ever owned. I hate how the mag isn’t flush, makes it very in comfortable to carry. I can’t stand the flimsy stock. I can’t get over how bad the trigger was, I put a timiney and it really helped.

if it wasnt left handed i would have taken it off your hands.  I like mine .