Malnourished spike ?

Water Rat

I just pulled the memory card of a trail camera that I have in my back yard. The date on the photographs aren't correct. The photos are less than a week old. My question is why are the ribs and hip bone showing on this spike ? None of the other deer look malnourished...…..not even the deer smaller than this one.WGI_0098.thumb.JPG.5bb5a65b1485f506f7090a3738793905.JPGWGI_0099.thumb.JPG.921577fd22c7bf2c16d65f4e82cca180.JPG

I just pulled the memory card of a trail camera that I have in my back yard. The date on the photographs aren't correct. The photos are less than a week old. My question is why are the ribs and hip bone showing on this spike ? None of the other deer look malnourished...…..not even the deer smaller than this one.WGI_0098.thumb.JPG.5bb5a65b1485f506f7090a3738793905.JPGWGI_0099.thumb.JPG.921577fd22c7bf2c16d65f4e82cca180.JPG

DEC would thank you if you dumped that deer. Very well could be CWD. Highly doubtful it's worms as it would have the sh!ts and crap all over its tail and hocks. I would drop that thing and turn it in as a sick deer. Maybe get DEC out there to try a take it out but that could open up another can of worms. What County?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nature will sort it out. The DEC isn't going to come shoot a deer because it looks thin. Could be a lot of reasons, could be something as simple as an abscess in it's mouth which is hindering eating. Keep us posted.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Nature will sort it out. The DEC isn't going to come shoot a deer because it looks thin. Could be a lot of reasons, could be something as simple as an abscess in it's mouth which is hindering eating. Keep us posted.

Negative. He calls them tonight while that deer stands in his yard he will be dumped in a heartbeat. A thin deer and CWD will make them take action instantly.

Well I managed to take a couple of photos of the spike just now. The quality of the photos suck but I can still make out his ribs and hip bone. If you notice , you can even see his spine. He was too far away for a decent photo and was too skittish when I tried to get closer. Maybe I should notify the DEC with these photos and see what they say ?IMG_2095.thumb.JPG.4a14eabdf73655e977d988fa103108da.JPGIMG_2101.thumb.JPG.67e583340851c6e6650da9c3c06ce87e.JPG

Negative. He calls them tonight while that deer stands in his yard he will be dumped in a heartbeat. A thin deer and CWD will make them take action instantly.

Who's talking about CWD?? At this point it's just a thin deer? Is the DEC supposed to go around shooting any deer that looks thin? No.

A few years ago we had a buck on trail cam that was very thin, similar to this one. We wondered what was up also. But by the end of September he had put weight back on and was looking better, but not great. We don't know the final result, as we never got anymore pics of him after the beginning of October. Keep an eye on him and if he continues to lose weight, nature will take its course.

Who's talking about CWD?? At this point it's just a thin deer? Is the DEC supposed to go around shooting any deer that looks thin? No.

Well call them and report it and see what they do. They will shoot and test it in a heartbeat. That deer was here and it would be videoed and then shot and turned over to Dept of Ag.

• Like 1

Well call them and report it and see what they do. They will shoot and test it in a heartbeat. That deer was here and it would be videoed and then shot and turned over to Dept of Ag.

So now the average citizen is supposed to kill any animal that looks different to them and call the Dec and you'll be forgiven of your illegal activity and hailed as a hero... Ok. Not.

So now the average citizen is supposed to kill any animal that looks different to them and call the Dec and you'll be forgiven of your illegal activity and hailed as a hero... Ok. Not.

Shows how clueless you are about the state and CWD. Property owner, sick deer on video, DEC would take the deer without a word said of being out of season. So tell me you shoot a sick thin fox nosing around your house would get you a ticket? Negative !!

• Like 2

Shows how clueless you are about the state and CWD. Property owner, sick deer on video, DEC would take the deer without a word said of being out of season. So tell me you shoot a sick thin fox nosing around your house would get you a ticket? Negative !!

Ok pal, I'm not going to argue with you. Clearly you know everything and I should be lucky you even responded to a mere mortal like myself.

7bf236821e4488fbcaea17de22b72dc0.jpg&key=a336f3e5789e370e564918464840d3ad50b551d19455fcad89824fee1a6327d1

I’m sure I am reading this wrong but it doesn’t say kill a thin deer out of season and you will be forgiven(which I don’t think you were suggesting either...or were you?). Sounded like you said to report the live deer to DEC and let the make a determination- if they determine they do not have the time to check every thin deer(that’s my guess) are you then suggesting to take matters into your own hands to protect the other deer from a thin deer? Just looking for clarity, but I’m nervous I will not get that

• Like 2

Friend send me a video of him fishing by the river and a spike looking just like this one  walked right up to them. In 7s. Ive had photos of skinny deer in mid summer and never found a dead one so i would imagine that he will bulk back up once the temps start cooling off. 

5 hours ago, crappyice said:

I’m sure I am reading this wrong but it doesn’t say kill a thin deer out of season and you will be forgiven(which I don’t think you were suggesting either...or were you?). Sounded like you said to report the live deer to DEC and let the make a determination- if they determine they do not have the time to check every thin deer(that’s my guess) are you then suggesting to take matters into your own hands to protect the other deer from a thin deer? Just looking for clarity, but I’m nervous I will not get that

did you read his post he said to call dec they would dump deer and test it..man everyone here needs to read and use context

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hock3y24 said:

Friend send me a video of him fishing by the river and a spike looking just like this one  walked right up to them. In 7s. Ive had photos of skinny deer in mid summer and never found a dead one so i would imagine that he will bulk back up once the temps start cooling off. 

Doubtful you will ever find a dead one dead for any reason. Vermin clean them up fast in nature.  I cant imagine a sick thin deer getting any better with cooler temps really? If they are thin at this time of year when food sources are pretty much the best they have a health issue. Maybe a bad tooth, maybe a past mouth/jaw injury or maybe CWD but the fact is with the states all chasing a harmless ghost they will shoot,cut off its head,test and ask questions later.

I would also bet that if a landowner did call DEC and show them that pic/video and they had no close officers to respond when called about it being in the backyard at that time they would give the landowner the green light to kill it. Its just a deer and not like they dont give landowner tags to shoot them all summer, Heck i could be shooting deer right now if i wanted to sign the bottom of the application.