35 Remington Lever Action Marlin

eagle rider

Went to the range day before yesterday with my Dad and for the first time in 40 years his .35 Marlin had a problem. It turned out to be a simple fix thankfully. His Marlin kept mis-firing so I took apart the firing pin assembly out of the bolt cleaned out a little "crud", lubed it where needed put it back together and presto ! All Better ! This rifle is older than I am and it just keeps on killing deer. What a great lever action.

• 2 months later...

I have mine. I paid 75 dollars for it - new! And it still looks that way too! The 35 Rem has a lot more umphf than the 30 30. And in my opinion is a very under-rated caliber. The 35 was originally designed as an Istaeli Machine gun caliber. I have shot mine on the bunch rest and literally drilled bullets into the same hole at 100 yards consistently.

Steve..I'm not sure where you got the info about the .35 Rem, but I do know that the .35 Rem has been around since the early 1900s and the State of Israel has only existed since 1948.

I just checked it out. The .35 Rem was introduced in 1906 and was first chambered in Remington's semi-auto Model 8 in 1908. It was also eventually chambered in thier Model 14 and later Model 141 pump guns.

Marlin first chambered thier M336 in .35 rem in 1950.

Edited by Pygmy

You are correct: The Remington rimless rounds and the .300 Savage were developed in response to the success of the .30-30 Winchester. There is not a whole lot of difference in performance between the .30-30, the .35 Rem. and the .300 Savage. All are excellent deer rounds and have put a lot of meat on the table. If I had to pick just one, it would be the .35...I really like that big 200 gr. slug!

Notes: The Remington Model 8 (and later 81) was a Browning hump back design auto loader. Many deer killed in the Northeast with the 8 & 81. Law enforcement also liked these autos: I think they were used in the final shoot out with Bonnie & Clyde. The Remington pumps, the 14 and 141 are also great deer guns in the .35 cal. My son scores regularly with his .35 141; We have already bought one (Dang...they bring high prices now!) as a high school graduation gift for his son.

Captain Frank Hamer used a M8 in the shootout with Bonnie & Clyde.

Allegedly, he shot both of them through the windshield, and then the car lurched ahead and was subsequently riddled by the other lawmen present.

Can't remember whether Hamer's rifle it was a .30 or a .35 .

The first rifle I ever bought was a Marlin 336sc in 35 rem. I bought it off a friend of my dad for $90 around 1980. I sold it a few years later to buy a bolt gun and Im sorry I did. That gun was accurate and handled great. The one, and only, deer ever I took with it piled right up on a 60yd shot.

A friend of mine hunts with a Marlin 35 and smokes deer every year with it.

• 2 months later...

My first rifle was a Marlin 336 sc in 35 rem, Bought it off my dads golfing buddy for $90. Sold it a few years later to buy a bolt gun. To this day I'm sorry I ever sold it. That gun was sweet. The one buck I did shoot with it went down like a ton of bricks. Reliable, accurate,light cheap ammo. It had it all, I'm an idiot!!!

• 4 months later...

I ordered my Marlin 336A in 35 Rem from Marlin in 1949, the 35 Rem cartridge had been announced as being available in the new 336 starting in 1950, Marlin had just made the upgrades to the 36 and renamed it the 336 and a friend and I drove to Marlin in CT and each ordered a rifle in the 35 Remington.

I still have mine and use it now and then, but have hunted mainly with a flintlock the last 30 years.

well coffee is gone and so am I, have a great day ladies and gents

Bill

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Anyone else have trouble getting the firing pin on the marlin 336 to engage the primer?

Took a 5 year break from hunting, didn't fire gun once.

Back in the field, took a five pointer. Follow on shot didn't engaged, blamed ammo.

Fast forward a year, fired and didn't engage.

Took it to local gunshop, they blamed carbon buildup and cleaned it.

(Durring season afraid to send deer running didn't fire till I had a large buck dead to rights). Didn't fire again same problem.

Can't find a downstate gunsmith and don't want to remove scope and ship to marlin

My favorite rifle is the old sears and roebuck marlin 35 cal. Got it for nothin back in 81. She's a good companion, taken down a number of deer. She a little broken in and not afraid to take her out in any weather. Nice and short but packs a nice punch. I have a number of other calibers but the 35 Rem is my favorite. Just a little tough to get ammo.