35 Remington Lever Action Marlin

eagle rider

who's with me on this one????? No matter how many more "sophisticated" rifles a hunter can own, these mighty midget venison charmers are the bee's knees' in the northeastern deer woods.  I hate to say it that my old 35 Rem Model 336 C makes the trip to deer camp every year.  There's nothing better in the swampy, mucky, brushy boot snag than this old girl.  Mine has a 2-7x on it and I don't think its ever been past 2x.  It drops deers pretty much in their tracks.  The 35 cal bullet weights and diameter have no trouble carrying the mail all the way to the buck pole.  I even used mine in Maine for black bear, she's a bruin slayer too.  The round doesn't make a wagon load of hamburger and stew meat.  Most off all, if the deer are spooky, the crank-fire repeater can burp up a fresh cartridge while your eye stays on the cross hairs the wole time.  Don't get me wrong, if I'm stand sitting I love a flat shooter bolt action.  But for still hunting and deer drives, the 336 C is hands down a better choice in my mind. 

• Like 1

Ain't no flies on the .35 Rem in the deer woods...

Nothing wrong with using the right tool for the job... The .35 is proof that high velocity is not a requirement for an efficient killer, within woods hunting ranges...

Ain't no flies on the .35 Rem in the deer woods...

Nothing wrong with using the right tool for the job... The .35 is proof that high velocity is not a requirement for an efficient killer, within woods hunting ranges...

Have the .35 Rem. also (first gun I ever owned). Just love it.

Got my Marlin 336 35Rem back in 1968. It served me well and never let me down. I just passed it on to my son. This is the rifle he used to take his first NY deer with in 96. I hope he gets another 43 years of reliable service out of it.

So we all have a do everything rifle (30-06) and a good brush gun back up 35 Rem or 30-30 lever action)!  Must be a great plan if so many of us have gone the same way.  My 30-06 is a Remington 700 bolt action, I'm guessing most everyone has the same kind of set up?

I have a thing for bolt action rifles....For that reason , my "woods rifle" for whitetails is a Rem  700Mountain Rifle in 7mm08, although I readily admit that in many cases a short, light lever, auto or pump gun would be a more practical choice...

The only "non bolt " centerfire rifle that I use for deer is my M1 Garand, and at 10 pounds it hardly qualifies as a handy, light rifle for use in close cover... However, I enjoy carrying it and hunting with it , because it is a fine piece of firearms engineering and a part of history...

My rifle is a 1943 vintage Springfield Armory (reciever) and it may have seen action in the hands of a G.I in WWII or Korea...

Eagle... Actually Patton said that the M1 rifle was the greatest battle implement ever invented, or words to that effect.. Of course you have to consider that he said that in the 1940's when every other major participant in WWII was still using bolt action rifles as thier primary battle rifle.. Some of those bolt actions are pretty cool, also, like the German K98K Mauser and the British SMLE Enfield, among others..

I killed my first deer with my M1 last season, a nice doe...Shot her at about 50 yards, sneaking through some thick stuff in one of my favorite hemlock/hardwood sidehills..  My only complaint about the M1 is that its safety has an audible CLICK when it is disengaged..Could make things pretty dicey if a deer shows up at close range, as happens often in treestand situations..Defintely a cool rifle, though... Very accurate and the issue peeps sights still work  well with my old eyes, unlike the open V sights on Mausers and some other military rifles..

I think its awesome hunting with old military rifles.  My Dad used to use an old Smith Corona 1903A3 Springfield with the iron battle site.  He shot a lot of deer with it too.  I could never get him to actually admit it, but I'm pretty sure that he actually carried that rifle in WWII.  Maybe it made its way back through the Pacific somehow broken down in a duffle bag on his train ride back east in 1945.  He had four other deer rifles, an old Remington 700 (300 Win Mag), a Savage 99 (300 Savage), a Weatherby Vanguard (25-06 which I have now), and a Remington 740 (270 Win).  Still all my memories were him dragging that 1903 into the woods every year on the land I still hunt.  My Mom still has that rifle in his old safe at her place down south. 

I can recall him hitting one small buck (basket six) at 200 yards with the iron sites on that rifle.  The shot just seemed kind of routine to him.  Maybe for an old time Marine Corps Rifleman it was kind of ordinary.  I was a kid just walking through the woods with him that day.  We were watching a bunch of does in a field we have now renamed the "murder hole'."  They were about 100 yards out it was a cold late afternoon the day after Thanksgiving.  I was drinking hot cocoa from an old tin thermos.  All at once he rasied his rifle in a direction that was 90 degrees to the right of where the does were and KAPOW.  The sound of the shot ringing out surprised me.  We walked through the field to the edge of a mixed hardwood line up against the foot of a steep hillside and there was this little six pointer.  He used a handloaded 150 gr Sierra bullet.  It was a pin hole going in with a golf ball size exit wound. 

Sorry, the Garand story brought me back 32 years ago in time.  I miss that old New York Deer Hunter.

• Like 1

Great story, Eagle Rider... You have a talent for narration... Next year when I'm hunting with my Garand I'll think of your Dad and his 03A3..

I am a big fan of the 03A3 Springfield, and one of my regrets is that I did not buy one (or ten) years ago when they were available dirt cheap.. I can remember when you could buy one mail order for less than $50 ..That was before the GCA of 1968..