Otto's Food Plots 2018

This is my first attempt at a food plot. I know I am about 2 weeks off the schedule, but that's how it is. Sprayed with roundup last week. Looks like it has done its job!

I will scrape off the dead grass next week and then disk it up, drag it and then seed it with red clover. I may throw in a bag of food plot mix I found in the barn. I think I bought it last year.

fb4fb109c55a103af00047e069d9f3d1.jpg

ae0389c616e19d565340a33ca4a72c79.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 6

its still planting time but if you want an active plot this year add a cerial grain or brassica to clover seed.. clover is slow growing and will take 2 years to fill in and grow like it should. 

if you scrape of grass you can skip the disking for clover and brassica. just roll after seeding . the disturbance by removing grass will be more than enough 

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

its still planting time but if you want an active plot this year add a cerial grain or brassica to clover seed.. clover is slow growing and will take 2 years to fill in and grow like it should. 

if you scrape of grass you can skip the disking for clover and brassica. just roll after seeding . the disturbance by removing grass will be more than enough 

I couldn't agree more, other posters including myself had luck with rye and wheat with clover and it grows very easily.

Personally, I don't know what you mean by "2 weeks off schedule".  For brassicas, perhaps but brass will do just fine a little later.

Clover?  You are actually about 3 weeks early in my opinion.  If brassicas were your main goal then I would still plant it.

If clover or grain is your goal then I think you are still 3 weeks early.  Labor day is the time for clover grain.

But good damn job on the spray.  If it looks like that after one week then I need to start using what you are using  ;)

40 minutes ago, LetEmGrow said:

Personally, I don't know what you mean by "2 weeks off schedule".  For brassicas, perhaps but brass will do just fine a little later.

Clover?  You are actually about 3 weeks early in my opinion.  If brassicas were your main goal then I would still plant it.

If clover or grain is your goal then I think you are still 3 weeks early.  Labor day is the time for clover grain.

But good damn job on the spray.  If it looks like that after one week then I need to start using what you are using  ;)

end of august/sept is to late to plant here can have frost by 15th and usually do. 2nd weekend of august is cutoff for me

• Like 1

I would definitely add brassica/bulb with your clover seed. Or a cereal grain if you wont be planting for a few weeks. You'll need it as a nurse crop for a good clover stand next spring. IF it were me I would spread brassica seeds with your clovers asap and lawn roll/pack it in, or just let the rain do its work. These are tiny seeds. they dont need to be under the soil to germinate. If you can roll or pack this seed it will germinate without rain, as long as some moisture is in the soil.. You can broadcast before rain and rain will bury your seed here for you. as long as it isn't a torrential downpour that washes your seed away. That is a perfect plot setup for how i plant all of my plots. no disking/tilling.

I didnt take pics but towards the end of July, I sprayed all my plots. Spread seed a few days later and I Let the rain do its job. 2 weeks later i have a beautuful growing brassica plot. 

Last week i even sprayed my back yard at camp and spread a huge blend of legumes, grains and brassicas and rolled them in the very same day while green still. I now have everything popping up great as the lawn dies out.. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the pointers and suggestions.  I’m glad I’m not running too late.  I’m gone all next week on a Quebec fishing trip, so the next steps won’t happpen until I get back.  I should be okay having it all in by Labor Day.  

I am definitly going to look into the seed suggestions here.  There is a good Farm Supply not too far that has most of those items in bulk, so I can get whatever mixture and quantity I need.  I really should test the soil and see what it needs before I do that too. 

I have a 25 gal tank sprayer on the back of my ATV.  I used generic 41% Roundup at 2.5 oz per galllon (per instructions on label) and I added spreader sticker to it too.   I was surprised how brown it was after only a week too!  

7 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Looking good.  As far as weight : I weigh 200 and will sit back there with a case of beer as you disc for the added weight :pleasantry:

I’m 250, so you drive and I’ll ride.  Tractor has a cup holder.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

just for reference. Plot was mowed down then sprayed once it got green again.. seeded then rolled with lawn roller. that is all

20160831_164539.jpg

I’d be happy with that!  Don’t have a lawn roller, but can plant in advance of predicted rainfall. 

• Like 1

The pic was from the thinner side of the plot that summer, but still worked great. A Lawn roller is a good investment even if you do disk.. small seed like clovers and brassicas you really dont want deeper than an 1/8" .. Find cheap ones on craigslist.. or a buddies. I picked up a poly roller.. works good. Would rather find a bigger steel roller someday. 

• 2 weeks later...

Step 2 completed. As suggested, I disked the snot out of it and it came out pretty good. One plot was a little wetter, but not bad.
I have 50 lbs of winter rye for the larger plot and a bag of throw and grow for the smaller one. I plan to add red clover in with the rye, just not sure on the timing of planting. No rain in the forecast except showers in a couple of days. Suggestions welcome.

Small plot about 150 x 40
9be21b0d1f69a261a7809246f0fff585.jpg

Larger plot about 400 x 60

b1dd71a8519d38f6f0921f526e192f4f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Step 3 completed tonight in advance of some rain.  Ground is not dry so I should be good either way. 

I borrowed a drag harrow from my cousin and went over both plots with the times down to smooth it out and break up some of the clumps and root balls.  It helped a lot.  Then I seeded the smaller plot with throw and grow and ran over it with the harrow upside down (tines up) - which hid the seed, but didn’t bury it too deep.  I don’t have a roller at my disposal, but this worked well.   

On the larger plot I seeded with rye and again dragged with the harrow tines up.  Instead of the red clover, my cousin surprised me with 5# of chicory, so I used that in place of the clover.  

I think I will still have time to start on another plot in a different area within the next 2 weeks.  I still need to check on my tree stands, move a couple and maybe set up a ground blind in advance of archery season.  

Sorry no pics,  too much to do in too short a time.  I’ll take some when I see spouts.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...