Smokers

Doc

My sister served up some roast pork that was cooked in a smoker. That was the tastiest pork I have ever had. So now I am getting interested in buying a smoker. So I went to Lowes and looked over their selections and found that there are all kinds, sizes, and prices. So what makes a good smoker. We probably wouldn't use it all that much, so I don't want to sink a pile of money into it. I saw electric ones, and I saw propane fired ones. There's only the two of us so I don't need some monster sized thing.

I would love to hear thoughts on what's good and why. Any help?

• Like 1

I have a masterbuilt electric.  Works great and maintains consistent temps.  I did add an Amaz-n pellet smoker to it which maintains a much more consistent smoke flow, long lasting and allows for cold smoking if you choose.  The Amaz-n is only $30 bucks or so but a great addition.

Pellet smokers are like cheating.. I LOVE mine... we don't even use our oven in the house anymore... Set it and forget it basically... Holds temp perfectly, can bake with it... I do chicken things in this and they are to DIE for.. set it for low temp smoke for 45 minutes then set the temp for 375 till the chicken hits the temp you want.. PERFECTION.. The pellet hopper holds a ton of pellets... I can't say enough about it.. The sear box rocks!!!

Master built electric is a good choice I was luky enough to pick one up last season at Tractor Supply for 89.00 on sale for 2 people it is great this little smoker is the best/better then the coal fired we used to use.

Go charcoal IMO.   Here’s mine I have had for a long time. ($60) Shovel around it for winter use. Here’s one at Lowe’s that’s similar   Re pulled pork : cut off fat cap , rub with yellow mustard, dry rub , smoke for 3-4 hours at 200-225, put in  crockpot on low with a beer / root beer for 20-24 hours.  Fall off the bone , stir with spatula and have at it. Buy  a chimney charcoal starter 

4EAEBA66-8E2A-4FA0-90ED-C5DCD62F5DF7.png

BBEA5405-4FE2-4B4A-87EA-EAE23822D468.jpeg

I have that exact same smoker as TF.  And yes it works great for a lot of stuff but I've been looking to make some bacon etc and with charcoal trying to get a consistent heat is tough.  Esp when I need to smoke for like 6 hours.   It works good and gives good flavor etc but never know if it gets to the right heat for any amount of time.  The smoked venison bacon recipe I have seen calls for like 2 hour intervals at 3 different temps and I just can't get that with charcoal one.  

But the charcoal one is great to throw on some sausage or chicken etc for a tasty smoke.  Or to finish a pork roast that was cooked.  But even with a whole chicken I often finish it on the grill to be sure it got to temp.  

rps20180722_134529.jpg

Another vote for the pellet grill.  Little more costly up front, but I absolutely love mine. Had it for about 5 yrs now. 

I can start a brisket around midnight @ 200* and bump it up to 250* for the rest of the cook when I get up in the morning.  

Very versatile. Can smoke, grill, bake, all on one unit.  

I do love my stick burner tho.. just need to babysit her throughout the day. 

Edited by mowin