Thinking about a .35 Whelen

Rattler

Every so often I get a desire to buy another rifle that's a little different.  Currently I'm thinking about a .35 Whelen.  I like the .35 Remington I already have.  I am quite impressed with the ballistics of the .35 Whelen.  But I often indulge in these desires only to find I will rarely use it.  I have more rifles than I need, but not as many as I want.

If anyone has a .35 Whelen, or can help me make this decision, either pro or con, I'd appreciate your input before I pull the trigger on it.

All input will be appreciated.

35whelen is one of my favorite cartridges I currently have 8 rifles chambered in it, 2 single shots “H&R, CVA” 3 semis “rem 7400, rem 750, browning bar” 2 pumps “both 7600’s” and a bolt “tilka t3.” Have had phenomenal luck with them when it comes to killing deer with all but one dying in sight. The 35whelen is an absolute hammer. With the way I hunt my biggest concern is getting 2 holes no matter the angle. I’ve killed 9 deer with them four being over 200lbs and have only recovered 1 bullet and that was a hard quartering away shot on a 225lb buck the bullet entered the rear ham and was found hanging out of the skin just below the white patch of his neck. I shoot 225gn Barnes ttsx’s hand-loads running about 2800fps from 18” barrels. There is plenty of recoil, you definitely know when you shoot one but not at all abusive other than in my under 6lb scoped and loaded tikka, that one isn’t much fun to shoot.

One of my favorite parts about the 35whelen is how versatile they are, I carry my peep sighted 7600 for bunnies and squirrels loaded with 110gn cast bullets at about 1000fps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I was leaning towards using the 200 grain bullets in it.  They probably produce less felt recoil and if I load Barnes 200 grain TTSX bullets in it, they should have plenty of penetration creating 2 holes for good blood trails.  Not that I expect blood trailing will be needed when the shot is good.  Why do you like the 225's?

• Like 1

I actually like the bigger bore rifles that shoot at 30-06 velocities.  I love the .375 H&H I have, even though it is not hunted, as I have not been able to make that Alaskan Brown Bear dream hunt happen yet.  But a Moose hunt in the next few years may happen.  I could use the .325 WSM for that, but that rifle was purchased to shoot an Elk someday.  I'm a little OCD about using the perfect tool for the job.  They're all fun to shoot and get proficient with in anticipation of the hunt they were bought for.  When the hunting opportunity arises, I am always ready to go. :D

• Like 1

I was leaning towards using the 200 grain bullets in it.  They probably produce less felt recoil and if I load Barnes 200 grain TTSX bullets in it, they should have plenty of penetration creating 2 holes for good blood trails.  Not that I expect blood trailing will be needed when the shot is good.  Why do you like the 225's?

They shoot good in everything and have performed very well, I don’t like going light for diameter and 200 is pretty light for 35cal

Back in the days before good monometal bullets like the Barnes X,  a .35 Whelen did not have much advantage over the 30-06 with 200 grain bullets...It earned it's reputation as a good large and medium game killer with 225 and ( especially) 250 grain bullets..

However with the Barnes you can drop down in bullet weight and still achieve similar terminal performance to a heavier bullet, plus flatten your trajectory a bit..

Also, I like to push the Barnes as fast as I can and still maintain good hunting accuracy, to help insure expansion...If I were hunting deer with a .35 Whelen, I would definitely consider the 200 Barnes TTSX a good candidate...

• Like 3

I happen to have an old sporterized 7.7 Jap rifle that has a nice Fajen stock, worked trigger, jeweled bolt, customized trigger guard, floor plate and scope rail.  It's actually a pretty hunting rifle.  Many of these old Jap rifles were converted to .30-06 as the rounds are very similar making it an easy thing.  This Jap is still 7.7 but happens to be very accurate using 150 grain bullets in hand loaded rounds.  I was just thinking it might make a good .35 Whelen that would have character.  Possibly would be less to convert it than buying a new bolt rifle in .35 Whelen.  Just an idea.

I'd keep the Jap as is....THAT round is a little different, too... And you said it is very accurate...

You might check around on the gun auctions and find a good price on a Whelen...

I was in the market for one for a period of time...I wanted something  to replace my abusive .338 Win Mag as my  " hunting anything in grizzly country"  rifle...

Then I read up on the 9.3 x 62 and decided to go that route instead...I got a CZ 550 American for an excellent price and never looked back...Fine, walnut stocked  high lustre blue rifle, and it shoots tiny little groups with 250 grain Barnes TSX....

• Like 1

I got rid of my .338 WM and got the .325 WSM which shoots the same ballistics up to 220 grain bullets, but has far less felt recoil.  

I love the CZ 550 American.  I bought one once in .458 Lott just to see how it shoots.  Found out and sold it.  LOL!  Love the set trigger they use too.  Why one was put on a .458 Lott I'll never know.

• Like 1

They all sound cool......

However, think it would be any better than a 30-06 180gr on whitetail deer?

IF you reload maybe, if you don't why?  A hole or two a year in deer, but the other 363 days of the year, you got a gun that shoot much more expensive ammo and delivers some more performance, which is already overkill on deer.

Practice is what makes deer go down quickly, not more impressive numbers on paper.

They all sound cool......
However, think it would be any better than a 30-06 180gr on whitetail deer?
IF you reload maybe, if you don't why?  A hole or two a year in deer, but the other 363 days of the year, you got a gun that shoot much more expensive ammo and delivers some more performance, which is already overkill on deer.
Practice is what makes deer go down quickly, not more impressive numbers on paper.

You’re absolutely correct, does a 35whelen kill a deer any deader than an 06 probably not any deader than an 06 does a 270 or 308 does a 7mm-08. But if that was the justification for any new gun purchase we would probably all still be using 30-30’s.

A 35whelen has an advantage of being able to do more with a heavier bullet than on 06, I justify the 35whelen because it penetrates better and with still hunting and tracking I don’t ever get to shoot at broadside deer. With a 35whelen I know no matter if the buck is facing me or away from me that if I do my part the bullet will make it to the vital and come out the other side giving me two holes. I killed a lot of deer with an 06 and I will say I recovered more bullets from the 06’ than I have the Whelen. That is in no way scientific or even quantifiable but having shot about 10 deer with the Whelen I have not yet been disappointed with the results it I was never disappointed with an 06 or any other rifle cartridge that I’ve killed deer with other than 223 and 243. Does that make it worth having the added expense if you don’t reload maybe not?

• Like 3

Tough to beat  a medium to heavy weight bullet from a medium bore  ( .33 TO ,38) caliber rifle, when shooting at the south end of  a rapidly departing northbound deer, or elk for that matter...Elmer Keith knew that from his experience hunting elk in black timber..

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have two 35 Whelen’s, a 7600 pump and a 750 auto. I also have a 35 Rem 7600 carbine.

I shot my best two bucks with the 35 Rem and several others. Very mild shooting cartridge. I use the standard 200 grain loads.

I shot one small buck with my Whelen pump, my son shot one small buck with it and I shot a bear with it. All were close shots and the 200 grain loads were used. No great feat of marksmanship or test of ballistic performance. All one shot kills.

I shot a eight three years ago with the auto using the 250 grain loads. Hit him back a bit and had a long tracking job. Like to think the bigger bullets helped a bit.

Love the whelens and have had good luck with them but never really put them to the test. 

The 7600’s carry well in the woods.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I've really been thinking about rebarreling my 243 to 358 Win, short action cousin to the Whelen. Shot a doe last night with a 230gr .45 ACP and it just folded up. I think big, heavy bullets are the way to go. Just not sure how much performance advantage I'd have over a 308 in a short action.