Heartland Wildlife Seed

Never heard of them. Im sure it will work for you though. I just like to be able to read the seed labels before purchasing in erson. Specifically for germination test dates and results, as well as what seeds are or are not in the bag.. coatings and non coated seeds etc.. I usually purchase only from trusted sources online.. Too many shady people around these days.. 

I Just checked out their website, If it were me I would avoid them lol. But that is me .... Seems they are quite braggers, and trying to push their product. They have bucks eating soybeans, in with their "Brassica sections"  and others pictures dont correlate with product description.. But again thats just me.

Im sure the product will grow and do what is intended to do..   Just giving my opinion. 

I dont Buy mixes, I buy Seed from the local feed store, I believe It’s all seedway or locally sourced seed. There’s no “inert material” in it or anything like that, I know What I’m buying. I’m broadcasting each type of seed separately so I have More control over evenly planting each type. Costs a lot less than buck on a bag seed too. I have Less than $150 into fertilizer and seed this year and I’m doing 2 acres worth. 

1 hour ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I dont Buy mixes, I buy Seed from the local feed store, I believe It’s all seedway or locally sourced seed. There’s no “inert material” in it or anything like that, I know What I’m buying. I’m broadcasting each type of seed separately so I have More control over evenly planting each type. Costs a lot less than buck on a bag seed too. I have Less than $150 into fertilizer and seed this year and I’m doing 2 acres worth. 

I like to individually seed my own "mixes" too. And I plant strips of different things overlapping also. Going to overseed soybeans with cereal grains at the end of the month. Sounds like you need to buy more fertilizer and lime if you only spent $150. Don't forget to add urea when your brassicas are up to 4-6 inches. 

• Like 1

On 8/9/2018 at 1:26 PM, SilentStalker said:

Anyone ever use Heartland Wildlife seed? Specifically the Rack Maker Brassica blend? I believe they are an outfit out of Ohio.  Was wondering about success/failures from fellow New Yorkers.  

Looks like we have a dealer right here in our county. Three north of Albany.

59 minutes ago, DDT said:

I like to individually seed my own "mixes" too. And I plant strips of different things overlapping also. Going to overseed soybeans with cereal grains at the end of the month. Sounds like you need to buy more fertilizer and lime if you only spent $150. Don't forget to add urea when your brassicas are up to 4-6 inches. 

No lime needed. 250lbs of 19-19-19 for 2 acres is plenty. Been using the same basic process for years with great results. 

I will hit the plota with urea if needed in about a month. Sometimes I need It, other times I dont  

I’m in a very good area, the soil here is pretty rich. I was down by the plots yesterday hanging stands, I’m getting great germination so far, the plots are almost green and it’s been less than a week since I planted  Some of the plants are pushing out their second leaves already. 

On 8/11/2018 at 1:52 AM, DDT said:

You must have some nice dirt. 

I have never once used Urea on my side of the hill. And i think i am on some poorer soils as well. 

This might be the first year I use Urea, I Have a plot that is a tad thicker than id like.. too make sure they put on bulbs, im going to hit em good with nitrogen. soon. haven't checked but they are probably 3 or 4 inches tall by now i bet. 

20161029_111005.jpg

Edited by LET EM GROW
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I will hit mine with urea this year if I feel they need it in about a month. Hopefully they dont.

Urea is pretty hard to find around here.  I was just planning to top off with some 15-15-15 since I can't really find 46-0-0.

I have never once used Urea on my side of the hill. And i think i am on some poorer soils as well. 
This might be the first year I use Urea, I Have a plot that is a tad thicker than id like.. too make sure they put on bulbs, im going to hit em good with nitrogen. soon. haven't checked but they are probably 3 or 4 inches tall by now i bet. 
20161029_111005.thumb.jpg.f170fadc9a6159c3dc482e42674f9c5f.jpg

Urea/nitrogen will not help bulb production it will hurt it. Nitrogen promotes leafy growth us A 4-11-45 mix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 8/18/2018 at 11:14 AM, chefhunter86 said:

Urea/nitrogen will not help bulb production it will hurt it. Nitrogen promotes leafy growth us A 4-11-45 mix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to know, I try my best to never use fertilizers. And just rotate my crops or mix seeds that benefit each other, plus use cover crops as much as possible.. but dang does it get expensive doing this on 4 or 5 plots.