Quality pole saw?

stubborn1VT

I am looking for a good brand of pole saw.  I have been using Hooyman saws for quite a few years.  I like the i beam construction, but hate the glued on, plastic latches.  I need a saw to cut shooting lanes, prune apple trees, and occasionally take down a limb or two as part of my property maintenance business.  Any suggestions?  Not looking for a powered saw, just an extendable pole saw that doesn't flex too much.

sun joe makes a phenominal electric chain pole saw..99 buck sometime on sale for 79..sunjoe.com use to use a fiskars internal rope pole saw was good but i use this almost exclusivley now. quiet and battery last excaptionally long 4 years now.most of my friends have bought them.as well

Edited by G-Man

I just picked one up from Lowes today. They carried one brand, but two different models. One was $40 and the other was $70. I opted for the $70 one, as it was build much better and extended to 16'. Seems like I only get 3 years out of a pole saw, before something breaks beyond repair. 

Think the OP is asking too much from an extendable, manual pole saw. At least the Lowes/Fiskars models are flexible when fully extended! Pretty limited sized branches you can scissor off! Too large a branch and you really stress the pulley system. I've found the saw to be impossible a PITA to use when pole is extended. FYI - The Lowes/Fiskars models are basically 2pcs and either the pole or cutting head can be ordered separately off the web. They do have their uses, are semi-inexpensive, have a sort of limited service life and definitely have some limitations.

Edited by nyslowhand

Thanks for all the replies.  I have a battery powered pole saw that isn't great.  Also have an old school shear that I got at a yard sale for $3.  I love that for pruning.  

I will check out the Fiskars.  

The first Hooyman I bought failed.  The latches came unglued.  Back then they had a lifetime warranty.  I sent it out and they fixed it and set it back. The company got bought out since then, so I may look into that as well.  I use a pole saw more than most people, but I still feel that they should last more than 2 or 3 years.