Watch Out!

Cabin Fever

Always paranoid when I do my last mowing of the season this time of year! I've been attacked on too many occasions by those damn-ground-nesting-nasty-tempered-yellow-jackets! I was on the lookout today to see if I stirred any up while mowing, but only got stung once (in the head! OUCH!!). While I was doing some ducking and weaving under some overhanging branches, I passed within ~5' of this very active nest, but never noticed it until my next lap that would have been at head level if I didn't notice it! Talk about doing some back peddling!! 

You can see to the left of the nest, how close I came to it on my previous pass! I can't believe they didn't attack! I was man-handling that branch as I passed under it, trying to keep the branches out of my face.

221859.jpg

221901.jpg

Edited by Cabin Fever
  • Like 4

I found one of these the hard way two years ago in my shooting shack. I opened the door and knocked a nest hanging from the ceiling! By the time I climbed 14 feet down the ladder and sprinted away, I had more than 20 stings. No fun but I learned a lesson that day. Always open that door carefully....

Good thing I have no allergic reaction to yellow jackets. 

Many years ago, when I was a mere wisp of a lad, a neighbor boy and I were out behind my Dad's barn with our BB guns, looking for prospective targets...

We spotted a yellow jacket nest and decided it would be a good idea to shoot at it..

We learned VERY quickly that it was NOT such a good idea...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Many years ago, when I was a mere wisp of a lad, a neighbor boy and I were out behind my Dad's barn with our BB guns, looking for prospective targets...

We spotted a yellow jacket nest and decided it would be a good idea to shoot at it..

We learned VERY quickly that it was NOT such a good idea...

You also learned how fast you could run 

• Haha 1

Fugg them things!

Just yesterday I saw a good sized one at an intersection up the road from me attached to the back octagon of a stop sign!

Made me wonder how many folks have pulled up beside and spotted it and just put the pedal to the floor without looking at what they were about to pull out in front of in the non stop crossing traffic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

I know people who pay big money for them as Adirondack decor for there living space just pick it and put in and air free bag and got area and let set for awhile to make sure there all dead then spray a dealer on it to preserve. I've seen them sell for up to a hundred dollars depending on size and condition.

Bingo!

Few yrs ago I was mowing a client's lawn that I had skipped a couple weeks as it was dry.  I made a pass under a crabapple, and on the next pass I had to duck under a low limb.  When I raised up, I was face level with a white ass hornets nest the size of a basketball, and only 2' in front of me.  Thank God my Z turn goes 11mph forward or backwards, because they were highly pissed off.  Got nailed 5 times.  

Being the nice guy I am, I knocked on the clients door to inform him so his kids didn't get hurt.  He said he knows about it, and a pest control Co was coming out later that day.  I said, so you knew about it, but didn't think to tell your lawn guy who has to mow under that tree about it? He just shrugged his shoulders...  I raised his price the following year.  Lol.  

• Like 1