Plot is growing pretty well.

3 hours ago, land 1 said:

Yeah mine are looking good to planted on july 20th and brassicas are about 4 or 5in high the clover i put in this spring is doing great, when was yours planted

I planted the clover with the brassicas 2 or 3 weeks ago.  

Edited by moog5050

16 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

It’s mixed in with brassicas.   Didn’t plan on it.  Thoughts.  

Clover might be slow the first year which is normal if it's white clover. Brassicas if applied heavily might shade the clover out but I wouldn't worry about it. In spring it should pop through. I agree with WNY wheat or rye is a good nurse crop for clover plus late season food source.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2018 at 9:56 AM, moog5050 said:

It’s mixed in with brassicas.   Didn’t plan on it.  Thoughts.  

Mixed with your brassicas? Your brassicas will be a nurse crop for it. you should be good. Depending on the seed rate you used, might want to frost seed more clover this March. She'll be pretty come April too!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

Mixed with your brassicas? Your brassicas will be a nurse crop for it. you should be good. Depending on the seed rate you used, might want to frost seed more clover this March. She'll be pretty come April too!

I figured I would hit it with the drag in spring and add more clover seed.  I figure most will be shaded out by the brassicas.  Maybe not in the empty spots.  My seeding does not appear to be the most uniform.  lol   But hoping the clover will return the nitrogen used by the brassicas. 

• Like 1

Unless you seeded annual clovers, perennial clovers will grow slow regardless, they need to set good roots first. So you really wouldn't see a ton of growth from them by fall. Even if they didn't have sunlight competition etc.. The brassicas will keep weeds from growing while clover sets roots. You'll see some growth no doubt, but don't get your hopes up, b/c once spring comes you'll have a real nice clover plot. I wouldn't worry about the drag in spring, just a frost seed it in March. You'll be surprised, and in tip top shape. A drag will just dig up weed seeds..

From what I've learned over the years. lol

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

Unless you seeded annual clovers, perennial clovers will grow slow regardless, they need to set good roots first. So you really wouldn't see a ton of growth from them by fall. Even if they didn't have sunlight competition etc.. The brassicas will keep weeds from growing while clover sets roots. You'll see some growth no doubt, but don't get your hopes up, b/c once spring comes you'll have a real nice clover plot. I wouldn't worry about the drag in spring, just a frost seed it in March. You'll be surprised, and in tip top shape. A drag will just dig up weed seeds..

From what I've learned over the years. lol

I will take your advice Bryan.  Thanks!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

So I guess the question is, whats your future plan for the plot? A long term perennial clover plot or something you want to replant with annuals each year, that you are using the clover to help regain nitrogen?

I really haven't thought that far ahead.  Now having sufficient equipment to plant on my own, I figured I would decide as the years go.  My first thought with brassicas and clover was simply to maintain the nitrogen levels.  This little plot has really good rich soil so I am lucky in that regard.  Would love to add some dunstan chestnuts this spring around the edges of the plot.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I really haven't thought that far ahead.  Now having sufficient equipment to plant on my own, I figured I would decide as the years go.  My first thought with brassicas and clover was simply to maintain the nitrogen levels.  This little plot has really good rich soil so I am lucky in that regard.  Would love to add some dunstan chestnuts this spring around the edges of the plot.

You can get those Chestnut trees in October depending on if you want to give up a day of hunting. I plan on doing this with some apple trees. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, corydd7 said:

You can get those Chestnut trees in October depending on if you want to give up a day of hunting. I plan on doing this with some apple trees. 

Not to take this too far off topic, but where is the best (most cost effective) place to get the Dunstans? I am looking to pick some up and plant them in various areas on my property. I dont mind giving up a little hunting time to do it.

http://www.chestnuthilltreefarm.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkMmF0bTq3AIVBhgMCh1emQAFEAAYASAAEgLxV_D_BwE

Seems to be the best source from what I've read. They ship to walmarts nationwide, if you give them your email they will send you alerts when shipped to your state. Much cheaper to buy at walmart but Im not sure if they do a fall shipment. Im to north to grow them but I let a buddy know about this and he picked six up from Walmart in May I think. He said the trees were great quality and large.

3 hours ago, moog5050 said:

I will take your advice Bryan.  Thanks!

No prob, Sorry for the rant...

That is what you'd want to do to keep an established clover plot for next year.  Terminate the heck out of it next july for more brassicas, or lightly disk it in for a brassica planting.. the clover will put the nitrogen in the soil for you.  Good way to rotate crops..

Now that you are in the food plot game, you'll see how addicting it gets lol. Unless maybe thats just me..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What let em grow said no need to drag in spring put the seed down as soon as snow is gone or mostly gone and wait will take awhile clover is slow growing you cant compare its growth to brassicas but the sooner the seed is down the better so it has a jump start on weeds

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1