My first bobcat

Water Rat

I started trapping a little last season after a 20 plus year hiatus. I have never trapped a bobcat before and made it my only trapping goal last year. Although I found some bobcat sign , I unfortunately came up short. So I decided to put out a few trail cameras after the season ended to hopefully get one on film. Unfortunately I had my first trail camera stolen in the process. Why people can't leave shit alone is beyond me. Anyway , I had the trail cameras out for 5 months and decided to get them and see what was on the cards. Most of the photos were of numerous deer , fox , coyote , squirrels , coons etc....                                                                                                                                                                                           Much to my surprise I finally got a photo of one that has beautiful markings on it. I sure would like to get him this year.IMG_0100.thumb.JPG.fabf1b245af02c59e0fb4248e283c52e.JPG5b6df70e26eb2_IMG_0100(3).JPG.509b8d7659eb8e4e2e0ab06a3addf70e.JPG

• Like 11

7 minutes ago, ny hunter said:

hope you get at shot at him......

Two years ago I tried getting one with my FoxPro caller (titmouse tantrum). I was in my stand at first light in the middle of January. Within 5 minutes of playing the tape  , I had a bobcat come in behind me at the base of my tree stand. I couldn't swivel my .22mag around the tree for a shot. When I tried  , he spooked and took off. Pissed me off for a long time. 

2 hours ago, Water Rat said:

I had a bobcat come in behind me at the base of my tree stand. I couldn't swivel my .22mag around the tree for a shot. When I tried  , he spooked and took off.  Pissed me off for a long time.

That is what it is AII about!

I had my one and only bear encounter two years ago while bowhunting.  I only saw it for a 20 seconds or so before I was busted by his nose.  I also was bummed about it but I quickly got over it, knowing just how fortunate I was to even see one. (I'd have probably missed anyway)  :)

I've hunted Bobcat each year for 20 years now.  Usually on days when other hunting seasons are closed, or the hunting is slow.  I probably put in 10 or so hunts for Bob's each year.  I've managed to tag only 2 in all of this time.  I've only seen 3 others while hunting that I couldn't take.

It's not the most productive hunt, but I believe one of the most impressive.  When you see a man walk out of the woods with a Bobcat, especially when he isn't using a dog, you are really seeing a rare sight.