ATV ramp size

Getting an ATV for hunting and it’s just a smaller Honda Recon 250. Wondering what size ramps I need. My truck is a Nissan Frontier 4x4 and I’m gonna load it into the back for transporting. I see tri-fold ramps which is what I want come in 69” and 82”. Is the 69” long enough or should I go with the 82”?

Anyone with experience who can help me out here? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

92” is def too long for my truck bed. I have the crew cab and I’m like 82” to the end of the tailgate when it’s down. I guess for the price I’ll just get the 82” because I won’t be able to close the gate anyway. The rear wheels will be just onto the tailgate. I plan on getting the tailgate metal brackets too to save the gate from the weight.

Cabela’s has the 82” on sale right now with free shipping. It’s the Yuktrax tri-fold with 1700 lb capacity.

14 hours ago, sethf11 said:

92” is def too long for my truck bed. I have the crew cab and I’m like 82” to the end of the tailgate when it’s down. I guess for the price I’ll just get the 82” because I won’t be able to close the gate anyway. The rear wheels will be just onto the tailgate. I plan on getting the tailgate metal brackets too to save the gate from the weight.

Cabela’s has the 82” on sale right now with free shipping. It’s the Yuktrax tri-fold with 1700 lb capacity.

That's true... BTW, I just got an email from the place I linked to you with a 5% off code and I guess they're offering free shipping now. I don't know if they have an 82" long ramp though...

If your tires are just over onto the tail gate, put some blocks in the front and drive the front tires up onto them. Rear tires might clear for the tailgate to close if the front is elevated a bit.

Longer the better when it comes to ramps. Steep angles are never fun when loading/unloading. And be sure to strap the ramps to the truck before you load/unload to keep the ramps from kicking out. I’ve seen some injuries and had someone I knew for a long time get killed when the atv flipped on top of him after the ramps kicked out.

I don’t trust the wood ramps.

I got the ramp off Cabela’s which is the 82”. My truck is exactly 82” to the tailgate when it’s down. Cabela’s had the ramp on sale for $109 with free overnight shipping.

I ordered it Monday about 2pm and it was at my front door Tuesday at noon.

The ramp fits good and is longer so easy to load. Just gotta make sure it will clear underneath the Honda Recon when loaded. But I have a solution if it doesn’t.

The Recon says 6” of ground clearance and the ramp is 6” tall. If it doesn’t fit I’ll use 2 2X6 pieces of lumber in the bed of the truck to get the little extra height I need so the ramp will fit under it. Then I can put a small block on the wood to stop the atv from slamming into the front of the truck.

I’m gonna pick up some of the tailgate savers, the metal brackets for $50.

good Idea on the blocks on the front, when we hauled in the back of the truck I would put a tire between the wheeler and front of the box. I have seen to many broken rear windows.. 

Edited by rob-c

Yeah. I have seen some videos online. I figure the block should stop it and I’ll have the 2 2x6 runners to mount to whether it needs a 4x6 or 2 4x4’s or whatever. I figure I can put 1 bolt in each and when done using it will kind of fold up for storage.

I would leave it in the truck all the time but I have a crew cab with a short bed so the 2x6 will be on the tailgate as the rear wheels will be resting on the tailgate.