New Crossbow and Broadheads

jmark

Well, I bit the bullet today and bought a crossbow.  It's a Killer Instinct Furious Z355.  I like the feel of the thing, but haven't been able to shoot it yet (it's been raining lions and elephants nonstop).  The shop owner suggested NAP Spitfire XXX broadheads.  These things seem like monster killers - 2" cutting diameter.  Jeez.  My compound broadheads are 1" and I thought that was good.  

So I guess this is a "did I do good?" post.  :/

Any thoughts on this combo?  Any experience with these broadheads (any risk of premature deployment)?  Any suggestions on good bolts?  

Tanks,

jm

20180811_160806.jpg

20180811_205420.jpg

Dozens of good fixed & mechanical  BHs that hunters have had great luck with hunting with a Xbow. I've used NAP Spitfires and Maxx BHs for past 4yrs w/o any issues. Have shot several deer with Spitfires and all died within sight or heard them crash. Know of others that question the blood trail they produce. They do have replaceable blades, but I prefer not to use them. My philosophy is after shooting an arrow/bolt, both get retired to "practice" squad. At least with my 10pt Xbow, the Spitfires shot very much like the field points did. Like most expandable BHs, don't expect these to penetrate "bone", ie; shoulder blade. Haven't had a single early deployment, but I tend to reach down and make sure blades are seated snugly into pockets when I'm ready to hunt.

FYI - Nap usually offers a 4pk in late summer, early fall for same $ as 3pk and some stores (Dicks) sell them for ~$35. NAP generally has an annual $5 rebate per pkg. IRC, need UPC and receipt for each purchase. Believe there was another topic about some cheap, imported, expandable BHs in the $1/BH range that have performed well.

Arrows/bolts for a Xbow falls into the same debate as for a compound bow. Heavy, light, carbon, aluminum, blah, blah.. Then you get into the weight debate of both arrow & BH..!?! Heavier/hard hitting vs faster/flatter trajectory. A personal preference, each has their selling points! Again JMO, should get a "pass thru" with either option.

Be curious as to how the Z355 shoots. Unlike setting the pins on a compound bow, do need a bench, sawhorse, rest, etc to zero-in a Xbow accurately. Budget Xbows typically have scopes that keep the $$ of the Xbow pkg lower... cheap scopes. JMO, you get what you pay for with Xbows. If you only want to get your feet wet with Xbow hunting, hell yeah buy an inexpensive model. Contrary to social media's blatant bragging, not an ideal situation shooting at a deer beyond ~45yrds. Know your Xbow and its' capabilities & limitations!

• Like 1

I use Black Eagle Executioner bolts and I think they are the best you can get. They are devastatingly accurate. As to broadheads I use Slick Trick 125 gr. Fixed blades and my son uses Tooth of the Arrow 100 gr. Fixed blades with Executioner bolts. I think any quality fixed blade broadheads combined with the Executioner bolts would make a killer combo. Just be sure to sight in with the broadheads. Good luck and have a safe year.             valoroutdoors.com 

Edited by CharlieNY
Add

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.  I snuck and shot the thing in my hotel room (suite) last night (don't tell anyone).  I brought in my cube from the back of the truck - just used field points.  Hard to tell much but it sure seems accurate at 30 feet.  :)

Kind of hard to pull the arrow out, though, when it's imbedded all the way to the fletching.  :(

Will try The Great Outdoors today if the rain stops long enough. 

jm

20180811_225141[1].jpg

• Haha 2

Oh yeah, that's typical of block targets, even one's specifically for Xbows - burying the arrow/bolt up to the fletching. You'll find you may need to force (pound?) the arrow out from the back just to have enough to hold onto in the front to remove it.

Not going to criticize you for where you made your 1st shot, but glad I wasn't in adjoining room! :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2018 at 9:48 AM, jmark said:

Kind of hard to pull the arrow out, though, when it's imbedded all the way to the fletching.  :(

20180811_225141[1].jpg

Something that helps to get the arrows out is to wax the arrows prior to shooting. If you don't have one. get an arrow puller from the shop. The help you get a better grip than your bare hand. If you can figure out how to hang the target off the ground, that can also help slow penetration, as the target moving upon impact dissipates some of the energy.  

You should be fine and good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

IRC, there is not a NAP (3 blade) Spitfire for strictly Xbows. Correct me if I'm wrong. I've used them also for 4yrs with a 180# Xbow and haven't had a single one not deploy upon impact or prematurely. If they do, may be from the blade becoming dislodged from the seat of the BH. I always make sure they are seated before putting on to my cocked Xbow. JMO, an additional rubber band isn't necessary. BUT ... do whatever makes you confident using them!

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 6:48 PM, nyslowhand said:

IRC, there is not a NAP (3 blade) Spitfire for strictly Xbows. Correct me if I'm wrong. I've used them also for 4yrs with a 180# Xbow and haven't had a single one not deploy upon impact or prematurely. If they do, may be from the blade becoming dislodged from the seat of the BH. I always make sure they are seated before putting on to my cocked Xbow. JMO, an additional rubber band isn't necessary. BUT ... do whatever makes you confident using them!

Yes they do make them.  Just google, Spitfire Crossbow Broadheads.  They cost more for what is probably the same thing.

Edited by RangerClay

1 hour ago, Fredbear2 said:

Muzzy fixed blade is what I shoot-out of my killer instinct 365 hardcore. Shot a buck last year and didn’t go 30 yards

I used up my last mechanical broadhead last season and I am reluctant to buy more at the current outrageous price level.  Thanks for your post, which helps me make up my mind on that.  I have a good stock of Muzzy fixed 3-blade 125 gr left over from my bow-hunting days.  Those will be the first ones I try this year, with my Barnett recruit (300 fps) crossbow, out on the range.  If they group the same as my 125 gr field-points, then that is what I will hunt with this season.  If not, I will try some older 125 gr three blade Wasps,  or some Allens that I picked up on sale at Walmart last year.   The three bucks that I struck with mechanicals, over the last 4 seasons, all dropped dead within 40 yards.   If you are dropping them inside of 30, with fixed broadheads,  then there is no point in my wasting any more cash on mechanicals.    If and when I upgrade to a faster crossbow, they might make sense, because they should fly closer to field-tips at long range.  Inside of 50 yards (which is my absolute upper extreme now) I doubt they will make much difference.  I will find out this week out on the range.   I always like to eliminate all the guesswork prior to the opening of Northern zone crossbow season on October 10.   

The fixed-blade broadhead range testing went ok today.  It took a bit longer than I expected to get my 300 fps crossbow dialed in with 125 gr field tips (I ended up needing to adjust dot site down one half turn and left a quarter turn) at 20 yards.  At that range, the Muzzy hit almost the exact same spot as the field tip.  The Wasp struck an inch to the right and the Allen was 1 foot low (right on the bottom of the foam block.

Out at 40 yards, using the the middle dot, the field tips and the Muzzy were right on.   The Wasp hit an inch low and three inches right.  It took me about 10 minutes to find the bolt with the Allen, in the weeds next to the target.   Again it struck way low and way left.  Needless to say, I will not be using them on deer.  Now I see why Walmart had them so cheap last year.  It seems that they must be a lot heavier than the 125 gr they were marked. 

When I was checking thru my inventory, I noted that one of my three remaining "used" mechanicals was still in decent shape.  There was no nicks or bends in the blades or the forward cutting tip.  I cleaned it up,  honed the blades back to "razor" sharp, and added a new o-ring.   My quiver will hold that and a couple of Muzzys on my first hunt up in the NZ in a little under a month.