Scope for a .22 10-22.

Ok... I've got a client who's lost all confidence in his mid '80 10-22 scoop combo.   I've checked the zero on this 10-22 Bushnell combo several times.   I've even set up a target for him to shoot. Bulleyes every time.  He's missed or wounded several woodchucks, Chipmunks, ECT.  I think he's pulling the trigger when on a living target, but he said no way... 

Now, hunter he's not.. but he has stated he shot well in the military.  

Needless to say, he wants a new scope.  I've told him it's NOT going to fix things, but he's convinced.  

I  go above the low end to outfit my guns with scopes, but I'm looking for a decent.22 scope for no more than $150.00 for his .22.   

So what should I get.   If it was mine, I'd be topping it with a $250+ Nikon or Leupold.   

3d.

I've got 6 10-22's, the oldest one my dad gave me in the '70's.  Most have been built and rebuilt over and over.  All kinds of scopes and sights.  FWIW, I think Bushnell scopes are junk.  (I've got a couple I'll sell cheap if anyone is interested.)  At this point, for glass, I will only buy Leupold.  Depends on what he wants to do, but for most purposes I think the 4X Leupold is perfect for the 10-22.  And then there's the Leupold guarantee... you can't beat it.  

7 hours ago, wolc123 said:

The Simmons .22 mag on mine has been flawless for the 20 or so years that I have had it.  I treat it rough and it always holds zero. They are about $ 40 new from Amazon. 

I put one of those on a Savage 22 magnum bolt gun. For the price, I like it too. But I put this one on my 10/22 this past spring. 3-9x 40mm. Has the BDC calibrated for a 22 LR. Nice clarity for the price point. Zeroed at 50' and the first hash is dead on at 100. Can't go wrong with a Nikon. It's going for $116 on Amazon right now.

IMG_2827.PNG

Edited by Steuben Jerry

belatedgroundhogdayApril72018.jpeg

1 hour ago, ny hunter said:

I have the 22mag on a couple of 22s and a Bushnell....dont need more then that for a 22 .......I think ..

What I like best about that Simmons 22mag is it's durability.  My 10/22 is frequently carried around uncased behind the seat of my pickup or on a carryall on the back of a tractor along with traps, shovel and bait.   The scope tube is scratched and dinged up, but it never seems to loose its zero.  Even at a hundred yard range, I kill more crows than I miss with it, when they are pecking at the carcass pile behind our house.  This woodchuck never even twitched when struck in the side of the head with a Rem yellowjacket.    I cant imagine why anyone would want to dump more money into a .22 scope.  

• Like 1

I'm no scope expert so I'm asking the question myself.  Isn't it the recoil that rattles a scope?  Are "22mag" scopes not designed to handle the recoil of say a 300 winmag?  Wouldn't the scope rings be just as important if not more so than the scope then in this case?  I don't know if any of this is true but that's what I use as my basis on deciding on scopes for my rifle.  I figure a 22LR just doesn't produce enough recoil that any scope would do.  I have a Simmons on my 10/22 and save my coins for better scopes for my higher caliber rifles.

• Like 1

It sounds like he isn't going to notice the difference no matter what you put on it. Having said that, I still have a phobia of Simmons, cheap Bushnells,, Tascos, etc. going back many moons, when they were as reliable as tissue for an umbrella. I have had several of the Cabelas Pine Ridge scopes that have done fine duty on my .22s. I would also go a simple fixed four power, just make it a one inch scope. He should never need to worry about another. I have a long love affair with Leupolds, but would have a tough time spending the dough (even for a used one,) for a 10//22.

On 8/12/2018 at 6:46 AM, Steuben Jerry said:

I put one of those on a Savage 22 magnum bolt gun. For the price, I like it too. But I put this one on my 10/22 this past spring. 3-9x 40mm. Has the BDC calibrated for a 22 LR. Nice clarity for the price point. Zeroed at 50' and the first hash is dead on at 100. Can't go wrong with a Nikon. It's going for $116 on Amazon right now.

IMG_2827.PNG

I have the same scope on my 10-22 and thoroughly enjoy it.

• Like 1

I would make sure you buy a scope where parallax is 50 and beyond.  Not 100 to infinity like most rifle scopes.  There are several scopes made for .22 rimfire with such a parallax.   I have a Vortex on mine. But leupold would be great.  

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I would make sure you buy a scope where parallax is 50 and beyond.  Not 100 to infinity like most rifle scopes.  There are several scopes made for .22 with such a parallax.   I have a Vortex on mine. But leupold would be great.  

If the scope is not parallax-adjustable this is a very important consideration. Thanks for bringing it up. Most rifle scopes aren't parallax-free under 100 yards. Move your head and the target moves. No bueno.

My 10/22 is a lightweight "bench rest" gun and the cheapest part of it other than various pins and such was the glass. It's parallax adjustable to twenty feet or so, and It's taken a few knocks during squirrel duty in the woods without incident. It might have cost about $150 dollars. Sub 1/4" groups at 50 yds are the norm from the bench. On my own hind legs things tend to open up a bit. :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, philoshop said:

If the scope is not parallax-adjustable this is a very important consideration. Thanks for bringing it up. Most rifle scopes aren't parallax-free under 100 yards. Move your head and the target moves. No bueno.

My 10/22 is a lightweight "bench rest" gun and the cheapest part of it other than various pins and such was the glass. It's parallax adjustable to twenty feet or so, and It's taken a few knocks during squirrel duty in the woods without incident. It might have cost about $150 dollars. Sub 1/4" groups at 50 yds are the norm from the bench. On my own hind legs things tend to open up a bit. :rolleyes:

One of the reasons I like shooting bushnell 3200 elites with pellet guns is that they are adjustable down to 10yds I believe.  But I think most rimfire specific scopes are set to 50 and not adjustable.  At least there is less of an issue shooting a small target close up. Adjustable is nice for a .22.  

7 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

One of the reasons I like shooting bushnell 3200 elites with pellet guns is that they are adjustable down to 10yds I believe.  But I think most rimfire specific scopes are set to 50 and not adjustable.  At least there is less of an issue shooting a small target close up. Adjustable is nice for a .22.  

I have a what's called a "bugbuster scope" on one of my .22's. It's actually made to shoot grasshoppers with a pellet rifle. It can adjust to be parallax-free at like six feet. With sub-sonic rounds it's a hoot.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, philoshop said:

I have a what's called a "bugbuster scope" on one of my .22's. It's actually made to shoot grasshoppers with a pellet rifle. It can adjust to be parallax-free at like six feet. With sub-sonic rounds it's a hoot.

Yep.  Popular Airgun scope.  Never owned one.