Climate change real or scam Or a little of both?

14 hours ago, fasteddie said:

I was a non-believer in Climate Change . After going to Alaska and seeing big chunks of ice breaking off of the Glaciers I have had second thoughts about it . 

Inconvenient? Record Arctic Sea Ice Growth In September

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Generally whats being said isnt false. Media has a way of exaggerating things, but honestly its not much. There are a lot of moving parts in global warming, but trying to limit co2 emmesions can only help. It is hard since other countries don't care like India and China, so they will have to be dealt with eventually. 

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/dec/19/china-aims-to-drastically-cut-greenhouse-gas-emissions-through-trading-scheme

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/19/climate/china-carbon-market-climate-change-emissions.html

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 1

It's not the little bit of warming or cooling that will destroy the American way of life, It's the knee-jerk reactions and "solutions" that would have been or will be our greatest loss.

Is crushing our ability to be energy independent really a "solution"? If that's the solution, we really need to think about what the actual problem might be. Is it a solution to mandate that for every pickup truck manufactured in the U.S. twelve little roller-skate cars that get 700 MPG be produced, even though very few people want to buy them? That's government control of private production through the use of regulatory over reach. How would the Paris Climate Accord, created specifically for the purpose of global wealth redistribution of U.S. treasure benefit the U.S.? (Notice how no one is talking about that since the U.S. withdrew.) I could go on...

• Like 2

15 hours ago, fasteddie said:

I was a non-believer in Climate Change . After going to Alaska and seeing big chunks of ice breaking off of the Glaciers I have had second thoughts about it . 

IMG_0098.JPG

IMG_0106.JPG

Just ask the Kilchers about how things are changing in Alaska.

14 hours ago, grampy said:

With so much hype coming from both sides of the issue, it's very hard to sort out the truth. Perhaps the truth actually lies in between somewhere. 

What you have to ask yourself is, what are the consequences if the deniers are wrong Vs the consequences if 97% of the world's climate scientist are wrong?

If 97% of the world's climate scientists are wrong, the Koch brothers and the fossil fuel industry might lose some profits while we clean up the environment.

On the other hand, what will be the consequences if the deniers are wrong?

Edited by wildcat junkie

10 minutes ago, wildcat junkie said:

What you have to ask yourself is, what are the consequences if the deniers are wrong Vs the consequence if the other side is?

If 97% of the world's climate scientists are wrong, the Koch brothers and the fossil fuel industry might lose some profits while we clean up the environment.

On the other hand, what will be the consequences if the deniers are wring?

I see your point.  No doubt that the millions of tons of emissions, pumped into the atmosphere each year, for over 100 years, is not "natural".  What is the consequence of that?  Could there be a self healing, "natural" way that the earth's atmosphere will, or is, dealing with the greenhouse effect?  I'm not smart enough to answer my own questions. It is, no doubt a slippery slope mankind has ventured onto, over the last couple hundred years. With the nuclear proliferation in the world today, the greenhouse effect may be the least of earth's worries. Short term and long.

By the way, nice to see ya back! Was wondering where ya were.

1 hour ago, philoshop said:

It's not the little bit of warming or cooling that will destroy the American way of life, It's the knee-jerk reactions and "solutions" that would have been or will be our greatest loss.

Is crushing our ability to be energy independent really a "solution"? If that's the solution, we really need to think about what the actual problem might be. Is it a solution to mandate that for every pickup truck manufactured in the U.S. twelve little roller-skate cars that get 700 MPG be produced, even though very few people want to buy them? That's government control of private production through the use of regulatory over reach. How would the Paris Climate Accord, created specifically for the purpose of global wealth redistribution of U.S. treasure benefit the U.S.? (Notice how no one is talking about that since the U.S. withdrew.) I could go on...

The  only  power source that can effectively replace  fossil fuels to stop global warming is nuclear energy , when is the last time we built a nuclear plant in this country, and the same people who hate nuclear energy and will not let you built a new nuclear plant are the ones worrying the most about climate change .  Do they really think people are going to go back to horses bicycles.  Lol 

Solar and wind don't produce enough power for are needs  that's the problem.  Nuclear power can but you have to be very careful with it .   And figure out what to do with the waste . 

1 hour ago, wildcat junkie said:

What you have to ask yourself is, what are the consequences if the deniers are wrong Vs the consequences if 97% of the world's climate scientist are wrong?

On the other hand, what will be the consequences if the deniers are wrong?

If the deniers are wrong then we get better weather I hate shoveling snow :)  we all be dead by the time all of this happens btw . 

19 minutes ago, wildcat junkie said:

1sjGidH.jpg

Please explain genius with your ever knowing knowledge of the future because Al Gore said the polar bears  would be dead by now . 

You have been brainwashed into thinking its something that is going to happen anytime soon .  If it happens at all to many unpredictable variables to know that.

Al Gore predicted that Earth’s “ice caps” will melt away by 2014.

Edited by Storm914
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Please explain genius with your ever knowing knowledge of the future because Al Gore said the polar bears  would be dead by now . 

You have been brainwashed into thinking its something that is going to happen anytime soon .  If it happens at all to many unpredictable variables to know that.

Al Gore predicted that Earth’s “ice caps” will melt away by 2014.

Where did you get your degree in climate science that makes you smarter than 97% of the OTHER climate scientists?

8XalTbM.jpg

28 minutes ago, wildcat junkie said:

Where did you get your degree in climate science that makes you smarter than 97% of the OTHER climate scientists?

8XalTbM.jpg

I did not say I dont believe it , I said what you here from scumbags like al gore or Hillary is not what climate scientists are saying they are cherry picking data to make you think the sky is falling been hearing these same predictions since the 70s  this scam nothing new . Some just cant think for themselves sad .

These same people Before said it was global cooling now its  warming we need to worry about . 

The climate has always been changing anyway and that is  a fact .

7eae21059225b91d8554636ce38e1944--ice-age-freeze.jpg

Edited by Storm914

2 hours ago, Storm914 said:

I did not say I dont believe it , I said what you here from scumbags like al gore or Hillary is not what climate scientists are saying they are cherry picking data to make you think the sky is falling been hearing these same predictions since the 70s  this scam nothing new . Some just cant think for themselves sad .

These same people Before said it was global cooling now its  warming we need to worry about . 

The climate has always been changing anyway and that is  a fact .

7eae21059225b91d8554636ce38e1944--ice-age-freeze.jpg

This is actually the  direction we should be moving in. Instead we are warming up and breaking the cycle. 

• Like 1

we haven't been around tracking it long enough to determine what cycle is broken. i fully believe pushes toward cleaner energy is smart. however, all the fear mongering is a little much. i sat in for Al Gores global warming (now climate change) pitch when i was in college.  i agree with the data and the drive to make things better. i think the projections and spin he and others have put on it is a crock of shit and easy to justify as it makes them money.  as an electrical engineer i also took a private tour of the NY Power Authority facilities. They thought it was hilarious what he was pitching knowing how high his electric bill was and how much energy he was using.  i don't remember the numbers but it was flat out disgusting.

i do think all this climate change is going to happen weather we like it or not. it's nature and nothing we do can or should do to stop it.  i think it's going to be a real b*&^% in the mean time. weather systems are more volatile and fall out from huge fluctuations in temps throughout the year have effects we notice.  coolest thing about the movie "day after tomorrow" who's to say that couldn't happen?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

we haven't been around tracking it long enough to determine what cycle is broken. i fully believe pushes toward cleaner energy is smart. however, all the fear mongering is a little much. i sat in for Al Gores global warming (now climate change) pitch when i was in college.  i agree with the data and the drive to make things better. i think the projections and spin he and others have put on it is a crock of shit and easy to justify as it makes them money.  as an electrical engineer i also took a private tour of the NY Power Authority facilities. They thought it was hilarious what he was pitching knowing how high his electric bill was and how much energy he was using.  i don't remember the numbers but it was flat out disgusting.

i do think all this climate change is going to happen weather we like it or not. it's nature and nothing we do can or should do to stop it.  i think it's going to be a real b*&^% in the mean time. weather systems are more volatile and fall out from huge fluctuations in temps throughout the year have effects we notice.  coolest thing about the movie "day after tomorrow" who's to say that couldn't happen?

Natural cycles of warming/cooling take 10s of thousands of years unless influenced by out of the ordinary occurrences like large volcanic eruptions that spew enough ash/gas unto the atmosphere to cause significant cooling/warming. This is the 1st time human activity is being linked to RAPID climate change..

v6weslZ.jpg

39 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

They are making it into a religion. 

Investing money on Alternative Energy is a good idea no matter what happens with the weather . Always good to have a backup plan for energy .

Edited by Storm914

22 hours ago, philoshop said:

Keep one thing in mind: Leo Dicaprio doesn't own a fancy private jet so that he can fly around the world informing people about climate change. He talks about climate change so that he can afford a fancy private jet.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/09/20/leonardo-dicaprios-foundation-gives-20m-to-environmental-causes.html

$20 million would have bought him quite a nice fancy plane.  The dude was one of the highest paid movie stars for years and has been working for decades.  I don't think he needs to push climate change for money.

11 minutes ago, Elmo said:

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/09/20/leonardo-dicaprios-foundation-gives-20m-to-environmental-causes.html

$20 million would have bought him quite a nice fancy plane.  The dude was one of the highest paid movie stars for years and has been working for decades.  I don't think he needs to push climate change for money.

There actors not known for having the highest of IQ s 

He probably put his finger in the wind and picked this cause because it seemed popular .