So, Where is the 25% Tariff on Chinese Optics?

So far,  37 views but not one response from the MAGA crowd?

I guess that shows just how committed you are to buying American made products.

Kinda' makes you all look like a bunch of hypocrites.

Edited by wildcat junkie

Time to give Leupold a level playing field with Vortex.

Vortex uses Japanese and only the lowest end uses Chinese.

Either way I love my Vortex Binos. And just got a Leopold Vx1 for my .458 I also have Swarovski for my .300WBY

You Can't Beat My Meat!!!

least expensive are Chinese-made Crossfire scopes

next (significant) step up are Phillipine-made Diamondback riflescopes

Viper scopes are another step-up in quality (also Phillipine-made)

at the top of the line-up are the (absolutely world-class) Razor HD riflescopes that are manufactured in Japan.

Source:

http://opticsthoughts.com/?page_id=127

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, silent death said:

Lol i have leopolds and vortex and I throw in some Nikons just to keep it even ...honestly there isn't much that's American made today

I support Japanese and Europeans makes because they support high wages, union wages in many instances. Most of the attractively priced Vortex's are made in the Philippines or China.. Those support slave wages.

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 1

Looks like we both found articles that said the same lol. I was speaking originally for the higher end. But I also agree wouldn't mind if they had a tariff on them. I buy the best for my given purpose and within my budget regardless of country of origin. Though Chinese made does sound far less appealing

31 minutes ago, silent death said:

Lol i have leopolds and vortex and I throw in some Nikons just to keep it even ...honestly there isn't much that's American made today

With the exception of the Japanese glass, Leupold scopes are made in the USA. There hasn't been an american manufacturer of quality optical glass in the USA in decades. And Japanese labor costs are higher than those in the USa so it's not cutting any Americans out a  job due to slave wages.

http://www.reloaderaddict.com/best-american-made-scopes-usa-rifle-optic-review/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wildcat junkie said:

So far,  37 views but not one response from the MAGA crowd?

I guess that shows just how committed you are to buying American made products.

Kinda' makes you all look like a bunch of hypocrites.

36 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Broad brush.............

It wasn't an absolute statement.  That's why I qualified it with "kinda"". And it worked as far as eliciting some responses.

Edited by wildcat junkie

On 8/13/2018 at 9:57 AM, wildcat junkie said:

Time to give Leupold a level playing field with Vortex.

Leupold are they American or German ? Was not sure about that actually  ok looked it up German immigrants  . Founded it  in this country in 1907 

Edited by Storm914

6 hours ago, Storm914 said:

Leupold are they American or German ? Was not sure about that actually  ok looked it up German immigrants  . Founded it  in this country in 1907 

Leupold is indeed German heritage, thus the LOOPOLD pronunciation.. The optical glass is purchased from Japan but everything else is made in the USA. Nobody has a better warranty.

Leupold is indeed German heritage, thus the LOOPOLD pronunciation.. The optical glass is purchased from Japan but everything else is made in the USA. Nobody has a better warranty.
Vortex...you can literally run it over with a truck, then shoot it with a gun, and then throw it in the bonfire and then send it back and get a free replacement

15 hours ago, wildcat junkie said:

I've done zero research on this and don't know the answer, but why doesn't Leupold use U.S. made glass? It's a sincere question.

Does Japan simply make the best? Is it about some trade agreement from thirty years ago? Does it have to do with the regulatory mess the EPA has created? Is it about the lack of skilled U.S. workers?

I'm just wondering what your take on this is.

17 minutes ago, philoshop said:

I've done zero research on this and don't know the answer, but why doesn't Leupold use U.S. made glass? It's a sincere question.

Does Japan simply make the best? Is it about some trade agreement from thirty years ago? Does it have to do with the regulatory mess the EPA has created? Is it about the lack of skilled U.S. workers?

My guess would be that you simply couldn't make a lens of equal quality in the US for the same price.  That's the same reason most things are imported these days.  Lots of stuff made in China, Philippines and other Asian nations can be of very good quality.  Yeah, they have their cheap stuff too, but the better items can match or surpass the quality that we'd get if it were made here and at a lot cheaper cost.  This is where tariffs on imports from these countries probably won't solve anything.  Yeah, it will keep some working in this country, but the folks buying these products will be paying considerably more, so in the end you'll have one segment of our society winning, while another will be losing.

30 minutes ago, philoshop said:

Kind of a guess here , I think it's because the Japanese have such a big mfg.base with all their cameras. It would probably cost a large sum of money and time to build a facility to match what is already available.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

Vortex...you can literally run it over with a truck, then shoot it with a gun, and then throw it in the bonfire and then send it back and get a free replacement

As can be done with a Leupold.

21 hours ago, philoshop said:

20 hours ago, steve863 said:

My guess would be that you simply couldn't make a lens of equal quality in the US for the same price.  That's the same reason most things are imported these days.  Lots of stuff made in China, Philippines and other Asian nations can be of very good quality.  Yeah, they have their cheap stuff too, but the better items can match or surpass the quality that we'd get if it were made here and at a lot cheaper cost.  This is where tariffs on imports from these countries probably won't solve anything.  Yeah, it will keep some working in this country, but the folks buying these products will be paying considerably more, so in the end you'll have one segment of our society winning, while another will be losing.

20 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

Kind of a guess here , I think it's because the Japanese have such a big mfg.base with all their cameras. It would probably cost a large sum of money and time to build a facility to match what is already available.

The Japanese and the Germans have led in optics quality for many decades . Even on the WW II era the quality of German optics was legendary.

One only has to loom at the highest quality cameras to see that the Japanese are also world leaders in optics.

On 8/15/2018 at 10:31 AM, The Jerkman said:

9 hours ago, wildcat junkie said:

As can be done with a Leupold.

9 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

So your comment of " Nobody has a better warranty" was just BS?

What don't you understand?

So your comment of " Nobody has a better warranty" was just BS?

Technically speaking if Leupold and Vortex have the same warranty then it would be true that nobody has a better one as the best they could ever do would be tie

I have nothing but Leupold scopes on my rifles.  I'm just very happy with them.

There is no hypocrisy involved if you understand what is going on here.

This whole thing is about getting other countries to stop putting tariffs on American made products.  Trump wants to level the playing field for American companies so they can export more of their goods overseas.  Other countries add tariffs to American goods, to keep their citizens from buying them and that's OK.  But if the US does the same thing, that's bad?  The US media just loves to make leftists feel Trump is doing everything wrong.

The solution to this tariff problem, which Trump is trying to impose, is the elimination of all tariffs in every country.  The US has been getting screwed by foreign tariffs ever since it agreed to accept them after WWII, so other countries could get back on their feet.  It's past time to end that policy.  Trump gave these other countries the chance to eliminate tariffs on US goods they import.  They refused.  So he carried out his ultimatum.  Trump knows the US has the advantage here, as we have the most resources.  In very little time you will see the elimination of tariffs on American goods by countries that don't want a US tariffs on their goods.

It's a chess game and Trump knows better than any other world leader how to play it, because he takes the politics out of the game and plays for business.  And if you've ever watched a chess match, you see very slow, methodical moves, that take time to implement, and are done with thoughts about 4 or 5 moves down the road.

Have patience folks.  Support Trump's moves now and you will soon see the benefits.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

That was my point but in typical form he can’t see that

In typical form you want to twist words when the black and white in front of your face makes you out to be some sort of dullard that can't understand a simple statement.

"Nobody has a better warranty." How is that BS?

Edited by wildcat junkie